Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Show us your acoustics

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Daveho, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Although I love my strats, acoustics are my true love.
    Here are two of my acoustics the first is a PRS a10e I bought in mid 2016, this is the guitar I play everyday almost without fail.
    The second is a 1976 takamine f-340 that was my first guitar which was gifted to me by my father in law, such a beautiful powerful tone.

Greg and circles like this.

2. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Pictures

Attached Files:

3. 1980

1980 Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2016
    United States

4. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Very good taste^^

Edit: I got abit excited about having a smaller body shaped acoustic late last year and picked up a little sigma, fantastic little guitar

Jigglebone and 1980 like this.

5. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up Yonder Way

Hmmm, I had no idea PRS made Acoustics. Go figure...

I've been playing vintage, American-made Ovations for a long time, primarily because they made models with with Soft-V necks which have dimensions identical to a Soft-V Strat neck (many hand injuries forced me into requiring a Soft-V, narrow neck on an acoustic).

What can the PRS acoustics be had for, price-wise $$$ ?

smithstrato likes this.

6. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    PRS can be had quite cheap depending on the level much like their electrics, the a10e is their entry level acoustic and I got it here in aus delivered for $800, it's a full mahogany box With rosewood board and the most considerate onboard electrics I've come across

7. Dont_Fret_None

Dont_Fret_None Strange Stringer Silver Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 22, 2013
    Up Yonder Way
    Hmmmm.

One of the outstanding features of the older American-made Ovations is the "OP-30" on-board Pre-Amp and Tuner, which was excellent. Sounds like PRS is mirroring the same, with respect to quality.

Are you aware of whether or not the PRS's have a Soft-V, narrow-dimensioned neck option?

8. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    Honestly I'm not sure how to compare it, the neck feels spaced and comfortable to my hand but I think in the higher levels you have more options. It might interest you all to know that at least the SE line are actually manufactured by wildwood.
    The electrics are so simple and effective all without cutting another unnecessary hole in the box.

9. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 10, 2011
    The Shack, Nova Scotia
    Number one is still my Yamaha FG460S. Bought it new back about '86ish. Number two is this 2013 Martin custom shop 000-28H in amberburst, (nice, but she ain't no Yami).

1.JPG DSCF3633.JPG

Jason D, Jigglebone and circles like this.

10. Cold Shot

Cold Shot Strat-Talker

Dec 18, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Martin 000X1
    Taylor 210

I've got a couple more, but no pics on my phone.

Attached Files:

Jigglebone likes this.

11. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    I have such mixed feelings about yamahas, on the one hand they have been making beautiful guitars for ages but beacause of where I work (includes a Yamaha bike dealership) they just make me think of work lol, no idea why it holds me up on buying one cause I like my work...

12. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Ok... Here goes...

1972 Martin D35

martin_body.jpg martin_back.jpg

1974 Alvarez Yairi DY-77... my first acoustic. My daughter has this one now. Take a look at how the neck joins the headstock!
    front_2346.jpg back_2352.jpg

2011 Taylor 614ce
    F11A7096.JPG

1981 Epiphone PR-755s
    Epi_2sides.jpg

1990 Alvarez Yairi DY-71 (w/graphite bridge!)
    alvarez_yairi.jpg

Nate D, wildhawk, Jason D and 5 others like this.

13. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Built her from raw stock in the mid 80's. Still have her upstairs.

wildhawk, Jigglebone, circles and 2 others like this.

14. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia

15. Daveho

Daveho Strat-O-Master

Jan 25, 2017
    Canberra, Australia
    To build an acoustic is on my bucket list for sure! I've built archery tackle befor like longbows, Indian flat bows and arrows but the idea of an acoustic is too much for me yet I regularly find my mind wandering there.
    For now my little cigar box project seems more realistic

16. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

At this point, for the most part, for gigging I alternate between Martin and Taylor. I've really got the Martin dialed in. Next I'll play the Epi which sounds like a HD28v (only better IMO... which is almost blasphemy to say). I'll gig that one too when the mood strikes. I'm about to test the DR Sunbeams on the Epi, so I'll see how that goes. I prefer the soft V necks of my Martin and Epi (and Yairi D-77). While my Yairi DY-71 is a fabulous guitar, is warm and rich I play it less because as I've developed arthiritis the thin C profile sometimes isn't as comfortable any more even though the action is pretty low as acoustics go.

Jason D likes this.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170207/9c4242d78e0d3781719aaaa70a0337b4.jpg[/IMG
    Her name is Leslie. She's a hard to tame firey red head with the voice of an angel

18. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    This is Leslie, a firey red head with the voice of an angel. I don't care if you look down on Ovations....I love her

wildhawk, Nate D, Jigglebone and 2 others like this.

19. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Many years ago I had a Yamaha, an FG-160. I'd bought it from an ex-bandmate and didn't regard it as anything amazing. Then one day I took it into a recording studio and when I heard the playback ... I was knocked out. Here's a scan of an old photo of it.

09_YamahaFG160.jpg

My niece borrowed it for several years and by the time she returned it, I'd bought an Ovation Celebrity bowlback electro-acoustic.
    So I took the Yammy into my local music shop. The assistant played it for about fifteen seconds, took a £50 note out of the till and gave it to me. More than I'd paid for it!

21_OvationCC157.jpg

I never bonded with the Ovation though. Try as I might, I couldn't get to like the piezo sound. Whenever I recorded it, I'd just shove a mike in front. So I sold that - to another ex-bandmate, took myself to Vintage And Rare Guitars in Bath and bought a '74 Martin D-18. It wasn't perfect, few blemishes but I had it worked on and it turned into quite a nice old guitar.

36_MartinD18.jpg

Then a few years later, when I was a bit short of dosh and a few guitars had to go ... it was one of them. Guess what its replacement was? That's right, another Yammy! This ones a 1980 FG-340 and I honestly think it sounds just as good. And last year, I even bought a matching 12-string to go with it.

48_YamahaFG340.jpg

And of course the best thing about a Yamaha, is that when you've finished playing it ... you can jump on and ride home!

20. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ive got a '94 takamine fp360sc and a valencia vg-195 classical (courtesy of StratMike)

tak1.jpg
    tak2.jpg
    newclassical.jpg