Show your cramped music room.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
It's not so much cramped as it's very much a work in progress. We bought the house last year and this is the unfinished part of the basement where the heating system is (behind me) and where the previous owner had a workshop. At the moment everything is strewn about but this will be a project for the upcoming year. I'm not entirely sure whether I want to frame it out or not but I definitely need to soundproof the ceiling. Even with headphones my wife can tell if I'm playing legato or alternate picking! And yep...that's a drum kitchen chair. I haven't even gotten around to buying a proper throne. :(

Room.jpg

Heavyriff

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 8, 2019
NE PA
It's not so much cramped as it's very much a work in progress. We bought the house last year and this is the unfinished part of the basement where the heating system is (behind me) and where the previous owner had a workshop. At the moment everything is strewn about but this will be a project for the upcoming year. I'm not entirely sure whether I want to frame it out or not but I definitely need to soundproof the ceiling. Even with headphones my wife can tell if I'm playing legato or alternate picking! And yep...that's a drum kitchen chair. I haven't even gotten around to buying a proper throne. :(

View attachment 458607
That looks like it will be great when its finished. Lots of space to work with. My little room has a couch in it (not in the picture) which can't go anywhere else, and is also the laundry room and my sons weight room.

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA

View attachment 458607

#1. What's the grinder for?
#2. Is that a map or expansion plan?

sam_in_cali

Scream for me Strat-Talk!
Silver Member
Feb 21, 2014
SoCal
Office/practice room

img_7216-jpg.454035

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island

View attachment 458607
Hey, I know..like I'm sure you do too.
It ain't gonna be cheap.
But in the end I think you'll be happier finishing it.
Just do it a wall at a time. The money won't hurt so much.

Heavyriff

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 8, 2019
NE PA

View attachment 458607

i noticed you run the felt side of your beater on your Nitro, is that because you find the plastic side too bouncy.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
That looks like it will be great when its finished. Lots of space to work with. My little room has a couch in it (not in the picture) which can't go anywhere else, and is also the laundry room and my sons weight room.

Yeah it's got a lot of potential. While I didn't show it, behind the drums is a peg board from the prior owner. First day we moved in, my wife thought it would be a great spot to hang her pocketbooks! They're still there but will eventually be evicted. Sheesh...nothing is sacred!

Caddy

Strat-O-Master
Aug 30, 2016
Indiana
Mine is hardly cramped. Have the whole upstairs in our story and a half house. Had it redone after I retired 13 years ago, new wiring, insulation, lighting and drywall. Made into one big room which is my music, computer/recording and TV space. Have about 40 instruments, five amps and still not cramped at all. It does have one large closet that is cramped but not with music related stuff.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
i noticed you run the felt side of your beater on your Nitro, is that because you find the plastic side too bouncy.

Or it's because I had no idea which side I was supposed to use lol. Now that you mention it though, I'll flip it around and see if it feels any different.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Hey, I know..like I'm sure you do too.
It ain't gonna be cheap.
But in the end I think you'll be happier finishing it.
Just do it a wall at a time. The money won't hurt so much.

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning in that direction. The room stays warm with the boiler in it but I may also tap into the baseboard pipes on the other side of the wall and put proper baseboard heating.

Of course given the free time I've had lately, that room may look the same in a year from now. :(:D