Shredder Guitar Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by 3bolt79, May 30, 2021.

What Are the Three Most Important Features of a Shred Guitar

1. It has to have a Floyd Rose/Floyd knockoff bridge

27 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. It has to have a pointy headstock/body

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. It has to have at least one Humbucker

51 vote(s)
    66.2%
  4. It has to have a scalloped fretboard

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. It has to have Jumbo frets

10 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. It has to have a flat radius fretboard or compound radius

25 vote(s)
    32.5%
  7. It has to have a thin neck

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  8. It has to have a locking nut

7 vote(s)
    9.1%
  9. It has to have active pickups

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. It has to have an unfinished/satin finished fretboard and neck

6 vote(s)
    7.8%
  11. It has to have low action

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  12. It has to have 24 frets

11 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. davidd47

davidd47 Strat-Talker

Normally I don't shred but when I do I reach for a IMG_7579.jpg IMG_5994.jpg

JJ119, tukoztukoz, Guitar boy and 7 others like this.
  2. DrDiederick

DrDiederick Strat-Talker

All my guitars are shredders :thumb:

My least shreddery is this one... The neck is 9.5" radius. DiMarzio Paf Pro in the bridge, stock singles replaced by Texas Specials. Floyd Trem II (I think it is the Schaller Trem).

Not a very extreme guitar but I like the versatility of the Strat. Beautiful tones and light in weight.... this is has always been a keeper and if I was told to sell my guitars and could only keep one .... it would be this one (please note that I have at least 4 with 3-4 times the price tag of this one).

Sambora.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    JJ119, tukoztukoz, Guitar boy and 8 others like this.
  3. Guitar boy

Guitar boy Strat-Talker

Screenshot_20210603-174227.jpg

It's all in the players hands and their knowledge of the genre.

My 92 Explorer with Lindy Fralins and my 2000 LP Standard. Both are killer guitars! Light weight and easy to play

Screenshot_20210603-174111.jpg

1984 Blue Jackson Soloist and a Pink 2019 made in Indonesia Jackson Soloist.
    The Pink Soloist was a one too many Guinness late night internet purchases.
    I never bring the 1984 guitar out on a gig. But I take out the Pink 2019 and it sounds great with high gain tone. The pickups have a midrange bump so playing in the 2 & 4 Strat tones are a little lacking. But the guitar wasn't really made to be a great "clean" sounding guitar and I'm a 100% cool with that. It's a cool color too!

4. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Really, if we're thinking back to the Age of Shred, Hair Metal and questionable 80's fashion, then a few things come to mind...
    Jackson Dinky
    Kramer Baretta / F-1000
    BC Rich Warlock / Mockingbird
    Dean V
    Parker Fly
    Ibanez Jem

Other things like shark tooth inlays, and the pointy bodies, the locking nut, the pointy headstocks, whammy bars - that was all part of the show.

When I think back though, Fender and gibson were not really "in that space" except maybe the flying V and the explorer..

Eddies superstrat was not representative of the entire movement, despite being the iconic player, there were many others who flourished (certainly outside the US) who were not Fender or Gibson players.

Here in Australia, if you did not own at least one Ibanez or BC Rich, you 'were nobody'. If you could afford a Kramer Baretta or a Dinky, you were next to God.

Very very different scene.

3bolt79 and Guitar boy like this.
  5. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

@JB74 ...you forgot the awesome BC Rich Bich.

I may be biased as after my Teisco it was my first guitar and i still own one. Fun to play but don't try it sitting down...:rolleyes:

3bolt79 and JB74 like this.
  6. skinnyass

skinnyass Strat-Talk Member

Since this thread is deadicated to music, the subject of "shredding" has no place on it. The thread begins with THREE qualities of HIGH quality instuments for the very LOW quality of "shredding" and goes on to list FOUR TIMES as many of those obnoxious characteristics.
    Being difficult to play does not, by itself, render music pleasurable to the ear. Just because I AM capable of throwing vomit or feces from the ground, through a third-story window, does that mean that I SHOULD??
    Like "rap", "hip hop", "fusion", "punk", "indie rock" and too much "modern jazz", since it has NO discernable melody, "shredding"can hardly be called music.
    BTW I was raised by a mother who played Chopin on her P.A. Stark Piano while I was in her belly. With Mom I listened to live broadcasts of the symphony, watched Perry Como, Jackie Gleason, Spike Jones, Ed Sullivan, Your Hit Parade. We had a modest 78, reel-to-reel (recorded by my dad) & 33 collection.
    With little formal musical education (3 college semesters) I have made many jam sessions and open mikes, sung in a dozen choirs, play twelve instruments by ear including; Classical, Big Band, Classic Country,, Oldies R&R, Rock 6/12 string guitar, drums, bass, fiddle, mandolin, accordian, recorder, harmonica, banjo (tenor & 5-string) keyboards so I think I can recognize MUSIC when I hear it. Since "Shredding" is TOTALLY bereft of ANY melody it could NEVER be considered anything more than obnoxious nauseating racket.
    "Shedding" could only provoke Charlie Christian and Django Reinhart to turn over in their graves

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  7. Jimi Lightning

@skinnyass
    Perhaps the thread title “Shredder guitar Owners Club” would have been an indication that this was not the thread for you.
    This thread is about a specific type of guitar.

Your opinion is yours and valid however it would be best served in another topic. If you feel so strongly about this then consider starting another topic on this and the masses can discuss why Shred/Neo-classical is valid.
    Cheers :)

8. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

:)
    Some ideas for melodies here .

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘Here’s my SL2QMAH Hardtail. I love it. DDEA3B7E-D0C3-4E77-A3F7-CEBF6FC51590.jpeg

JJ119, tukoztukoz, Bladesg and 5 others like this.
  10. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

+1

Ruscio, duzie, Stonetone and 2 others like this.
  11. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I'm probably gonna bring my Charvel in soon to get the action lowered. I can do finger tapping on my American Standard but not this which is a darn shame :p.

thumbnail.jpeg

Stonetone, meatwad, JJ119 and 4 others like this.
  12. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

Heck yeah!

Malurkey and 3bolt79 like this.
  13. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Well, You are certainly obliged to have your opinion. I respect that you have this opinion but as a music major, I have to disagree. Shredding does have many musical qualities to it. Just listen to many of the greats in the genre and you will definitely hear the melodies. Randy Rhoads, Eddie Van Halen, Michael Angelo Batio, Dimebag Darrel just to name a few of the ones that were really melodic in their abilities to shred the guitar.
    Just because you don't like the form there are plenty of us here that do and do consider it music and find lots of musicality in it. I also do appreciate and like many other forms and styles that you named but some of them aren't to my taste. I also know that I am in the minority here but IMO country music is a true abomination but that doesn't mean that it isn't music so I don't try to crap on people's threads about it. We would greatly appreciate it if you wouldn't compare the music tastes of others here to a pile of feces being thrown out of a third story window.;)

Ruscio, duzie, Guitar boy and 4 others like this.
  14. Jimi Lightning

Well said @Believer7713 , +1 on the melodic artist. Perhaps some of Yngwies more classical pieces would be worth mentioning as well. Ive been in YJM mode lately…

Your not alone in this so there’s at least 2 of us… Seriously though people can listen to whatever they’re want. I’m not a fan of Country, but if that floats their boat so be it.

Ruscio, duzie, Stonetone and 3 others like this.
  15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

It’s interesting what features the majority picked.
    Floyd Rose
    At least one Humbucker
    Thin neck
    Low action

I was surprised that only 8 people picked jumbo frets, although most Kramer’s have medium jumbos.

duzie, mikej89 and Jimi Lightning like this.
  16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Here’s my two favorite shredders... 876B0454-4E33-4AEC-85D3-339C3807A982.jpeg

meatwad, JJ119, tukoztukoz and 8 others like this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I'm one of the 8 that picked jumbo frets. Big frets are just easier to play on IMHO.

18. Jimi Lightning

Don’t need a thin neck and or big frets if the necks scalloped…:rolleyes:
    Sorry folks couldn’t resist.

Great poll but I need 4 choices and only picking 3 was tough.

Stonetone and 3bolt79 like this.
  19. GlowingTubes84

GlowingTubes84 Strat-Talk Member

I agree, I never like when people mix paint outside of the three main colors either. Why are people allowed to enjoy things that are different than what I like?

Ruscio, duzie, Ebidis and 1 other person like this.
  20. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

My Kramers. Yes, I have two identical Pacers
    706941AE-757D-43FE-A7FE-3EA4CB4E2A44.jpeg 54FB1339-6685-4805-9171-6C18A5C0DBC5.jpeg 060DF1B4-7B6B-460B-B84A-3D65D011CD88.jpeg 39AF3383-387B-4291-A18D-527B357FAF25.jpeg 7806E2AD-A31C-46BF-9CB2-53FD622E44FC.jpeg

meatwad, Censport, Ruscio and 4 others like this.