Signature model owners

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Sushi313, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

I knew I wanted a Strat. When I read about the new RW bound neck and saw the Aqua Lucerne Firemist Blue Magillacutty (the color name is hard for me to remember) and then heard the guitar I knew that was the one. It is a terrific guitar and my son will inherit it.

PonyB and 3bolt79 like this.
  2. liam_66

liam_66 Strat-Talker

I got the new Iommi Sg special. Tried it out at guitar center since lefty models are rare and was blown away. I was looking for an SG with a fat neck and also a p90 guitar. This one ticked all my boxes. The p90s in it are hot and growl like nothing else I own. So I ended up buying it. I do love Sabbath, but it was the neck, pickups and sound that sold me.

3. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

because I could

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

If I buy a signature guitar, it is simply because I like the features of the guitar.

ooglybong, 6bender, jrbirdman and 4 others like this.
  5. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Yes, there is usually some sort of unique spec.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Senior Stratmaster

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    I have that Red Special book that shows everything, it's awesome.

I remember reading about a guy that was building Red Specials, and he took one to Brian to have it signed, and Brian yelled at him for stealing him and his Dad's design, so he quit building them.

3bolt79 likes this.
  7. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Senior Stratmaster

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    I wouldn't mind trying out a John 5 Telecaster, but they're getting hard to find, discontinued.

3bolt79 and sam_in_cali like this.
  8. elkabong

elkabong Strat-Talk Member

I got the SRV strat because I love Pau Ferro and it has gold. I also like the signature guitars for that guy Les Paul.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Just an observation, since threads on signature guitars/gear pop up on here from time to time…it seems the majority of people are either anti-sig stuff right off the bat or they are quick to add in that it was only because it had the specs they were after and the artist had no bearing on the purchase. Almost like it’s a bad thing to admit you are a fan of the artist or something…

Mr_Lahey, Ruscio, 3bolt79 and 2 others like this.
  10. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

The guy that owned RS guitars in AZ. May said that he purposely never filed for copyright or trademark, as he wanted everyone to be able to have the design. Well maybe in the early days that just meant real guitar companies could make them and he would have guitars to play. I’ve seen him with a Greco before.

But now that he’s a millionaire (multi) and he can afford 20K a pop or more for exact replicas, and also owns the BMGbrand and sells a lot of guitars, he’s incensed. Too late to ***** about all the small builders now, especially when you detail the design in a book with blue prints, and didn’t care enough to get a copyright.

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Yeah I’m definitely a Queen fan, Steve Vai not as much.

sam_in_cali likes this.
  12. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I own a 2004 Stevie Ray Vaughan signature Strat that was gifted to me.A fan who often came to my gigs decided he wanted to learn guitar and wanted an SRV model because he is a big Stevie fan.The week prior I walked into a music store and saw this SRV Strat on the wall that caught my eye...it was a really nice one with lots of black in the sunburst and the colors were really nicely blended.So when he mentioned he wanted one I told him about the one I saw.He asked me to go with him to try it and give my opinion.We met up at the store and as I played it it was obvious that it was a great Strat...played smoothly,nice chunky neck,nice sleek body carve and great punchy Blues tones with those Texas Special pickups.I gave him my ok on it and he bought it.He took a few lessons but never really pursued it and the guitar never really got played.Then one day he walks into my gig with a tweed case...I know what's about to happen.On my break he comes up to me and tells me the guitar has been sitting in his closet unused for years and he would prefer I had it so that it can be played.I told him 'no man...it's your guitar...I can't take that!' but he was insistent that I take it.I agreed and told him if he ever wanted it back he could have it back no problem to which he said he is simply giving to me.It's a great Strat that really punches through the mix with lots of midrange...great for Blues licks in the SRV/Albert King style especially where you bend strings and sustain them with lots of finger vibrato.The combination of Texas Specials with large frets and flat 12 inch radius really make that guitar sustain.

[​IMG]

OzzieV, EC Strat, Steven1145 and 5 others like this.
  13. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Well…

92’ SRV … went to a shop to buy a red EC model. Didn’t care for the EC model… played a bunch of Strat Pluses, a few Ultras… didn’t care for any of them… shop owner got the SRV out of his office… it was closer to what I wanted … for all its trapping it was just a vintage style Strat at heart. It was love at first sight… Oh at the time I didn’t know I was buying one of the rare Brazilian fingerboard ones… well I knew it was Brazilian when I bought it but I didn’t know there were less that a hundred made… well exchange guitar for a wheel barrel of money.

97’ Woodstock or Tribute… nothing to explain …. It’s a left handed 68’ AVRI complete with maple cap fingerboard…. It’s the guitar CS 69’s we’re designed for… it’s a ditch to play with the whammy bar and knobs all under your hand and arm but you get used to it… want a good Hendrix sound …. Play a upside down Strat!

EJ Strat …. Sounded great in the store… never sounded that good again… had the sticky neck… had it for a few years … finally just sold it… heck I even got EJ to autograph it…. That didn’t help it play any better… sharp CAR finish …. But I’m glad it’s gone…

Jimi Hendrix Strat…. The newer MIM version…. It’s OK but not as good as the 97’Woodstock… still it has somewhat a Jimi vibe… and it was a gift so it didn’t cost me anything…

Epiphone Lucille… cause I can’t afford a Gibson one…. Sounds like BB King… any more questions???

Does a Monterey partscaster count as a signature guitar? It’s a Fender body and some other parts…. Guess why I wanted that????

Oh heck I forgot I did buy a EC Strat in 2019 and sold it in 2021… it’s a fun contraption but It didn’t play well …. I guess I’m no that crazy about vintage frets…

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    dogletnoir likes this.
  14. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Strat-Talker

[​IMG]
    He convinced me to.

His pedal as well.
    [​IMG]

15. jvin248

jvin248 Most Honored Senior Member

I've found that a better question is "have you tried selling a signature model?"

They sell a lot slower and for less cash than a generic non-signature version of that guitar.

The reason is you need to find other fans of that signature player. The Venn diagram of potential buyers gets small. There are even players who hate certain performers and wouldn't touch a signature guitar from that artist even if given one for free. My list of artist gear I avoid: Mayer, Slash, Vai, and a few more I can't come up with at the moment. Sure they are great players but I'm not handing cash to some and just not advertising for the others.

I have a couple of Santana models because they were available cheap, one was super cheap because it needed extensive repairs due to prior owner damage and with that work I covered over the 'signature' to make it a generic model for my own playing. The other one has all the bling of exotic woods and inlays that eventually I'll try selling it but have hung onto it for now. I have a couple of Tremonti models I bought specifically to flip, but expecting a really long sales cycle with them, probably a bad buy on my part.

Guitar stores and gear dealers are the most enamored with signature models, who are guitar factories' real customers and why these models exist, the retailers believe they will have something new to talk with consumers about when they enter the store and that popular artists may have more fans to pull more sales (but that Venn diagram is working against them). All of which may be true at the retail level but resale of used signature guitars is tricky business and I've learned to avoid them.

16. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I bought my Squier Simon Neil (Biffy Clyro) Strat because it was a) cheap and b) Fiesta Red. I’ve never listened to their music and I wish it didn’t have the band logo on the headstock (I’ve even considered getting a standard Classic Vibe neck for it), but it’s still probably my most played guitar.

AD77BB36-6B60-4B08-9853-3B591B6999E8.jpeg

Hurling_Frootmig likes this.
  17. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Senior Stratmaster

My only signature model is a Johnny A from Gibson Custom. It's a 25½" scale semihollow with ebony board. At the time there was no equivalent guitar.

Later Gibson produced a regular-factory Standard model, and eventually Epiphone made them too. But there still isn't anything like it that isn't one of the Johnny A models.

[​IMG]

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

3 EJ Strats for the pickups an radius, Silver Sky for the even better pickups and because it killed every other Strat I’ve owned or played.

racerx819 likes this.
  19. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

My Lucille checks all the boxes I had before I even knew you could buy a Lucille and on top of that I am a B.B. King fan.

IMG_20211002_141811033~2.jpg

When I saw her in the shop I was immediately sucked in and then was happy to find it's one of the best playing Gibsons too.

I would recommend this one even if you're indifferent to Blues in general. It's really more of a Rock guitar anyway.

Cali Dude, sam_in_cali and albala like this.
  20. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

My most expensive sig model is my EJ - I mean, yeah, I'm a fan of his music, but it also had all the things I like in a strat - 50's aesthetics, largish V/C neck, larger frets+flatter radius, nitro finish, bridge p'up wired to the tone, etc.
    I could have been an EJ fan, but if the guitar didn't tic the boxes of what works for me, I'm not going to make the investment.

For instance - I think the John Petrucci Majesty guitars are BEAUTIFUL and I love his playing, but having tried them I find the necks too thin and the pickups too hot for my taste - so I won't be owning one unless given as a gift...