Signature models

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by OttoG, Jun 8, 2020.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Tru dat.
    My #1 for years was a Jimmie Vaughan sig - I respect Jimmie, but am not a fan per say - was WAY more influenced by his brother.
    But I wanted a 50's style strat with a thicker, soft V neck profile, medium jumbo frets, flatter radius, and the bottom tone wired to the bridge p'up.
    Check, check, check, check, check.

Michael919 likes this.
  2. Jam125

Jam125 Strat-Talk Member

As an “advanced beginner” guitar player, I wanted to try for myself what are considered to be the best-playing and sounding Strats available - by people who own or have owned them. The original vintage pre-CBS guitars are unfortunately out of reach for most of us. I ended up getting 2 EJ’s (1 Maple, 1 RW), an SRV (mostly out of curiosity), A JB Sig a CS JB, and a CS EC. I still own them all but the SRV is on my list of gear to sell.

The most “buttery” among them is the CS EC. (I also have 2 non-Sig. guitars that come close to the CS EC – a 1982 Ibanez Blazer 550FR and a 2014 Fender 60th Anniversary Commemorative Strat).

Getting these signature guitars introduced me to particular features that exceptional players have in their instruments, most of which improve their playability or sound or both.

That's the main reason I’m very interested in getting a PRS JM Silver Sky. From what I’ve read so far, I think what JM and PRS have done may one day prove to be a turning point in the “Strat-style world.” What I mean is, if a lot of players decide to pick an SS over a Fender Strat, or any other brand of S-type guitar, because of its features, playability, sound, and consistent production quality, I think we might see a significant trend develop that perhaps few people thought would happen. In other words, SS sales going through the roof because it’s a real “Giant Killer.”

If that happens then good for JM and PRS. I think it’s long overdue that someone successfully updated the S-style to a point where it’s perhaps significantly improved in many ways. From what I’ve read they've achieved this in at least 3 ways – the tone of the pickups/guitar, the playability of the neck, and consistency in production. And of course, this is good for those of us who appreciate these improvements but were unable to produce them ourselves. Hopefully, the few production quirks some customers have experienced will soon and permanently be addressed.

The two other Signature Strats I am interested in are the Malmsteen and Robert Cray. Very different from one another for sure, but each special in their own way.

I’m glad guitar companies, including the likes of Fender and PRS, produce Artist Signature guitars because, without them, we as players would not likely ever be exposed to guitars that have the specific features found in each of them.

Perhaps the only other area of improvement that all of us would like to see is better retail (and more frequently, pre-owned) prices. But it’s understandable that instruments of high quality will always demand higher prices. I’m just glad they’re available at all.

Tsjackson likes this.
  3. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

I bought a Music Man SM-Y2D in the Deep Purple Burst finish, not because I was particularly a fan of Steve Morse, but because it was genuinely just about the best playing guitar I had ever laid hands on. I had it less than 18 months because I just couldn't be bothered with the Floyd Rose. I'd love an early Jeff Beck Strat for the Lace Sensors, tree trunk neck and ebony board and I'd love an EC Strat for the mid-boost and soft V. I'm also determined to get a Brad Paisley Tele at some point, I played one a few months back and it sounded great, felt like an old friend to play and was unbelievably light. I'm also a fan of BP, but his signature guitar just ticked all the boxes for me (apart from the relic-ing, but the remaining finish is coole enough that I could see past the fake wear).

Michael919 likes this.
  4. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

So true

Michael919 likes this.
  5. Dave_Harris

Dave_Harris Strat-Talk Member

I've recently collected a couple sig models.

MIJ Ritchie Blackmore
    Clapton Blackie artist series
    Yngwie artist series
    Gilmour Custom Shop
    Nita Strauss Ibanez

Now I want to build a "Clapton" with Blackmore scallops.......

unnamed (2).jpg

Michael919 likes this.
  6. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

I’d like a Gerry Garcia alligator strat signature model please fender.
    And as I suggested it il take the first one for free, thanks very much.
    I’ll comment more appropriately on this thread when it shows up and let you know if it’s any good or not

lavrgs and albala like this.
  7. Thymatronic

Thymatronic Strat-Talk Member

I just added a JB this week, too! I've used the shutdown to rethink my collection, selling guitars that sat unplayed, and upgrading to models I've been wanting for quite a while. Only wish I'd done it sooner.

I am loving the Jeff Beck! I'd read numerous times that it sounded really different from a traditional Strat. I'm actually happy to say that I disagree and love every pickup and combo. Just a sweet instrument. Playing it through a Boogie Mark V...what a combo. Can't wait to gig with it.

I went with Surf Green, how about you?

8. lavrgs

lavrgs Strat-Talk Member

I bought a used Dave Murray signature online - when it arrived it was, for some strange reason, shaped like an Alvarez acoustic...well I returned the acoustic and when I received the replacement DM it was NEW...now I'm not complaining...I didn't know who Dave Murray was but I saw an episode of Dave's World of fun where it set one up and I went looking... I didn't own a strat with a rosewood fingerboard, or compound radius or Floyd Rose tremolo so I could check a few boxes.

9. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

I am not big on signature guitars, but have one.

This guy 20190704_165303.jpg
    It's a carvin allan holdsworth.
    I had no idea who he was, but had heard the name before.
    It's an ALDER neck with ebony board on an alder semi hollow body. Jumbo frets, set neck, and 2 humbuckers. Super unique!!!

Sounds like a 335 and a strat/tele combined.

Sorry for the crappy pic. It's all I had

Michael919 likes this.