Silly Strat question? Possibly....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by UnfrozenCaveman, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Taken as such, doesn’t always come over in print! It probably was a very good year!

2. UnfrozenCaveman

UnfrozenCaveman Strat-Talk Member

Good advice. Unfortunately I live in kind of a musical backwater and I know I'll either be driving quite a ways to see and play each strat for sale, or more ideally working from a nationwide Craigslist search engine ask them if they'd consider mailing it. I got my MIM that way. That's why I was hoping there were some years that you all would say "avoid the xxxx's at all costs" "there's something about the "yyyy" production year that was just amazing". That's why I mentioned in the title this was likely a silly question :)

3. UnfrozenCaveman

You know it's interesting...there's only one Am. Std near me and it's a 2011 for $800 in arctic silver and hard case and it's a great looking guitar. Even has some original case candy. Funnily enough when I googled that year most people said 'get the 2012' it's a better axe. Thoughts on $800 for the 2011, with maybe some room to negotiate?

4. UnfrozenCaveman

Not a good enough player to justify the price :)

5. UnfrozenCaveman

Makes sense. I'm beginning to get the impression that there really aren't any "lemon" years for Corona strats.

6. UnfrozenCaveman

That seems to jibe with what owners of Am. Std. are saying in other places. Thanks Errik

errikwong likes this.
  7. blille

blille Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I would try to push that down. But the only diff between both afaik is that 2012s have fat 50s. Some people like them better, others not. So fine guitar I would love to have :)

8. UnfrozenCaveman

Verrrry interesting as the Laugh In guy in the German uniform used to say (if memory serves).

9. UnfrozenCaveman

Speaking of noiseless pups there's a 2007 not too far away (two hours lol) that has Fender Hot noiseless and man do a lot of people hate those things. Do you like them?

10. UnfrozenCaveman

Hahhah. Right on my friend. Spend away.

11. UnfrozenCaveman

I really have haven't I!

12. UnfrozenCaveman

Not a problem for me. I brillo pad my necks down to the beautiful bare wood the way god (and Eddie V) intended them to beo_O

13. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

I never played them. I did not get on with the N3 and most recent gen. The ones that work well for me are the Bill Lawrence SCN set. But you've got to play them and find out. In any case, if the neck feels great and plays well.
    You can always easily swap the pickups at a later time.

14. UnfrozenCaveman

My reason is GAS and the fact that I knocked over my beloved 2006 60th Ann. MIM and destroyed the headstock when it hit the only thing on a glass armour that could have done any damage, a 1/4" wide metal band that separated the panes. Yup a one in a million shot. Thanks Murphy.

15. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

It was on the fretboard (usually the edges, and flaking off in large chunks like poly does), not the back.

And I do the same on the back of my necks.

16. 68strat

68strat Strat-Talk Member

I have an original 68 that has a real nice neck and the 7 1/4" radius, it really has gone up in value lately compared to the simmilar year examples at Gruhn's, I paid about three bills for it back in 83. I may never sell it, but it sure is cool to have a guitar that goes up in value rather than down!

17. UnfrozenCaveman

You'll excuse me since I've been frozen for several thousand years but why don't my replies show up under the post I'm replying to? Having them all collect at the bottom of the thread is weird and possibly causing people to think I didn't reply.

18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

You have to hit the QUOTE or REPLY button, it always lists them in the order they are posted, but if you quote someone then type after the quote, it shows who you're replying to....like I've just done with you....

19. UnfrozenCaveman

You are a gentleman and a scholar. Funny thing is I did hit "reply" under the OP and it still ended up at the bottom of the thread. Now everyone probably thinks I'm an ingrate tool :mad:

20. UnfrozenCaveman

Still moving my reply to the bottom of the thread GRRRRRRRRRRRR