Simply key to use properly FreeFlyte tremolo system

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by nalex53, Aug 29, 2017.

1. nalex53

nalex53 New Member!

Free Flyte tremolo is a well designed, quite sensible German manufactured tremolo.

However lots of people can not use it. Couple of days ago I adjusted one strat. from 1983.

First I used Ernie Ball Slinky 10-46 strings. With this strings the guitar was terrible. The reason is quite simply. The tail of this strings ( similarly to many others ) is bent back around a brass ring and twisted to fix it. It makes the tail extremely rigid. In normal case it is not a real problem. With Free Flyte tremolo it is disastrous. The ball end of the string is so close to the saddle nib, that any time when you push down the tremolo arm, the tail try to straighten, and the ball goes a bit backward, and the pitch goes up. This is not the equal at all strings. Some strings are keeping pitch, some of them not. Once goes out of tune, sometimes not. It is quite sucker. But if you realise that not all string goes up or down, you will understand that it is not the act problem of the tremolo, but it is the problem of the extremely short distance between of the tail fixing, and the saddle nib, which makes impossible to use all type of the strings.

Fender has a so called Bullet type string. This string has special tail. There is a bullet on the tail , which somehow fixed on the string. Therefore the tail is quite soft. With this string there is no extra power to displace the tail, and strings will be tuned properly all the time.

I bought a Super Bullet 10th. With this string the tremolo works properly. NO PITCH PROBLEM ANYMORE .

Well, to adjust the spring tension is still a bit complicated. It is problem when you can not adjust the tension by the screw on the top. In this case you must move the spring fixing plate under the scratch plate. Otherwise the rule of the setting is quite simply. You need only one piece of 3/32 hex key.

First you tense the spring by the upper adjusting screw ( 3/32 hex key, 8 complete turn clockwise ) You raise the back of the tremolo plate and lay the 3/32 hex key between the tremolo plate and the guitar body. You tune up the guitar, make all settings. You remove the hex key under the tremolo plate. You loosen the spring by turning the upper adjusting screw contra clockwise as far as the tune will be okay again. If you are lucky that will be enough, if not you must go under the scratch plate.

I hope this will help for many user.

Sorry for my bad English.

NeverPracticing and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. nalex53

nalex53 New Member!

The FreeFlyte ..... 20170826_074628-R.jpg

Squittolo likes this.
  3. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Good tip! Another thing that helps, in my experience: New springs. (Good ones, US Fender or Callaham or similar.)

4. nalex53

nalex53 New Member!

Thanks for remark.
    Other springs may function better. Original one is quite robustic. With this springs it is not easy to move the arm, but they move back the base plate to the starting point all the time. I think the spring is responsible for the range of the tremolo movement. With simply words , it is question of comfort , I think.
    Well you are right. Comfort is still missing. I try to mod the springs.

5. bloodspoint

bloodspoint New Member!

Hey, I realize this is a zombie thread resurrection, but as someone who just picked up an '83 Standard Strat with the Freeflyte trem, and didn't like the way it was set up, I want to thank you guys for the info. I was not only able to figure out how it works and adjusts, but I found the instructions from Nalex53 extremely useful, and from that, went searching for the Elite Series user's guide, which details not only how to set the Freeflyte up decked (the default), but also how to get it to float, which is the way I like to set my trems. Until I found this thread, and that manual, I didn't know a Freeflyte could float.
    One thing I did have to do, even with 9's, and the trem claw on the recommended screw holes, the tension was too great to allow the trem to float. I improvised, and made another set of holes about 1/8" toward the bridge, and that worked perfectly. Before I tried that, I was contemplating removing one of the springs, but I like the way it worked out better.

NeverPracticing and Lone Picker like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.