Join Strat-Talk Today

Single pickup pair of strats

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Geddon, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

EEE118F9-2A83-4325-8D46-340412ED5289.jpeg 7B096F34-ED98-47EC-B668-EF2CE98575A8.jpeg 23E7A837-525A-4A82-B98C-0E7DDCF066CD.jpeg 611C79A7-02D2-46AD-812B-228D8D0635C3.jpeg ECC44DB0-E4F8-4D8B-987A-65881DA1DD57.jpeg D35747D8-8868-45CF-ACCE-83E366B2A7B8.jpeg

these were a fun project. Somewhere when I was close to finishing the neck one I got the idea to make it a pair and make a humbucker in the bridge version. The idea was make it easy to swap the pickup and have something light and simple to play. I like the result a lot and I’ve been playing them more than my regular strats.

Mods:

Squire HT HSS base for both

Converted to string through

Kill switch buttons

One has a random bridge I found on reverb, another a squire bridge that was drop in for string through.

Contoured saddles

Warmoth guards and backplates

Yen yang dragon neck plates I found on eBay

Fender MIM necks

Redid the electronics from scratch.

Hole through and wired connectors for easy pickup changing

Dunlop straplocks

Graphtech string trees

Fender locking tuners

Grip strip I like to put on all my guitars

Reversed dragon stickers

Next up I have a project to work on a back routed HSS strat that I can also easily swap pickups in so I can share pickups between all these guitars. Here are some pictures of the body. Found it on reverb. I’m probably going forward with the dragon theme and I’m thinking red or blue for this one and roasted maple neck.

0A8D5809-2FA6-48F1-9906-4C02B75FF5B9.jpeg 546205B7-3CC8-439D-8F5D-FE4E3DA8A0B2.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow, twins! Looks great!!

3. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Wow! Cool!

4. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Here's a silly question. When building these things and using "stickers" like your dragon themed type, do you put those on before final clear coat or are they very thin and you just stick them in place? I have an ESP/LTD 35th anniversary (Eclipse) guitar that has a very large dragon placed on the front of the guitar, and I think it was airbrushed on before final clear coat, but really don't know how it is done at the factory or by individuals. I guess the same technique would be used for the word Fender on the headstocks? Another detail that I don't know about!!

5. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-O-Master

My buddy has a 78 natural finish fender strat with just the neck pup and just a volume pot.. he plays rhythm and ldk why but it sounds great

6. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

These in particular are very thin and I just put them on. For a more permanent attachment, I think clear coat would be good. Maybe I’ll try that. These were all learning experience for me so that would be another thing I have never done.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Nice pair! I like how you moved the regular volume-knob-is-in-my-way problem to open the space up. I've watched videos of Hendrix and he uses that whole region that is blocked by the regular volume placement, he basically played it like a Tele, something overlooked in most mods.

I'd get a little nervous only having the white guitar with just a neck pickup -- even though I know the neck single coil is the best tone out of a Strat.

That bridge humbucker ... lower the pickup and raise the screw poles 1/8th to 1/4inch. You'll get more definition plus keep the noise reduction.

8. Cajunboy2k

Cajunboy2k Strat-Talk Member

Those look really cool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.