slide gee-tar

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by stratfloyd, Sep 28, 2008.

1. stratfloyd

stratfloyd Strat-Talk Member

I just bought a slide and was wondering if anyone has their own tab or and songs that are cool to use for a slide

but theres a catch :p
    i dont really want to play bluesy slide
    i want more of a Pink Floyd's Breathe slide, "trippy" music

any\all comments are appreciated =)

2. 2Buck Chuck

2Buck Chuck Strat-Talk Member

That's a good question. I've been playing a lot more slide lately, and what I've done is to try to incorporate it into the regular songs (originally non-slide) that I play in my band. For example, I'm playing slide on Come Together, Gimme Shelter, and Moondance. Those aren't really trippy (although I do get out there on Come Together), but th epoint is to just try incorporating it into songs you know. I don't know of any TABS out there, so I suggest you just go for it.

I use several open tunings as well, that helps a bit. Gilmour played lap steel on Breathe by the way. There are some YouTube videos of him and others playing that part.

3. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I was on a slide "bent" earlier this year. I found some cool songs to play just by listening to the radio. Try coping some riffs from SINGERS! Also, Mark Knopfler/Dire straits has two songs I really like, though neither fit into the "trippy" stuff you're thinking of. Je Sui Desole and Fade to Black are the two songs, but I don't recall wich was the band and which was the man. I had the most fun playing slide while coping licks from other instruments. Jazz horns and the like are pretty fun, and, usually, their phrasing and "limited" range makes playing those riffs on slide somewhat easy.

4. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

I would still suggest a good grounding in blues slide guitar, there are heaps of blues slide tabs out there on the Internet, if you spend some time studying the blues masters it will give you the best foundation. You can bypass the bottleneck guys like Son House and Robert Johnson but I would suggest spending some time with the single-string slide men like Muddy Waters & Robert Nighthawk, once you pick up the basics of their techniques it'll prove valuable for playing slide in any genre.

5. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

alot of "slide" playing is done with open chords, as has been mentioned. the open chords give you more freedom. open G, open D, open E, and open A are common open tunings. Skip James, an old blues player, used open D minor. I have a friend in Austin, Texas that uses open C, because it fits his voice alot better. as bobmac suggested, build your foundation and then you can go anywhere you want to go. have fun. ;o))

6. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I just thought of something that would fit both your request of "trippy" music, and my previous suggestion of coping vocal licks... learn the vocal line of "the great gig in the sky"! You'll have to do it by ear, as I doubt there's any tab for it, but it would be a good lesson in training your ear. You could also work on your transcription skills, and once you learn it, tab it for the rest of us!

7. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

Its more blues but if you search Seasick Steve on youtube he does some cool stuff with a one diddly bow and with his famous three string trance wonder. Alot of it is pretty simple but sounds mean as heck.

8. dtfan4ever

dtfan4ever Strat-Talker

I've always had a high respect level for people who play slide well since I can't do it.

I've heard that one of the more common tricks is playing slide in open tunings.