slide guitar

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by stratfloyd, Sep 28, 2008.

1. stratfloyd

stratfloyd Strat-Talk Member

I just bought a slide and was wondering if anyone has their own tab or and songs that are cool to use for a slide

but theres a catch :p
    i dont really want to play bluesy slide
    i want more of a Pink Floyd's Breathe slide, "trippy" music

any\all comments are appreciated =)

2. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Stratmaster

I've found that open tunings are the key to playing "slide guitar". open tunings doesn't necessarily mean bluesy music. try open G, open D, open E, or open A. actually, any of the open tunings.

3. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

Most slide guitar tabs and lessons on the net are blues or bluesy, but you will come across tabs & tips for other styles too. If you Google slide or bottleneck or open G you'll soon come across many sites. I've recently downloaded a pile of stuff on Open G tuning and have printed it all out and made up a book. You may have to get your grounding in blues first and then branch out into the trippy things after you know all the basics.

4. tritone

tritone New Member!

I'd work on scales and modes up and down one string first to get the hang of intonation and touch.

5. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

Slide is used in more than blues and pink floyd "trippy music" as you call it, you'll also find it in country, rock and southern rock. I have one of the glass corcidin-D slides and I have never been able to get much more than noise from it. I need to just sit down and keep at it but it gets frustrating when it sounds like more noise than music, lol

6. cmatthes

cmatthes Strat-Talk Member

Slide is cool - I picked up a cool video from NGW's Geoff Hartwell. He makes it seem so easy, but he also breaks it down and demonstrates basic technique in plain, basic english.

I'm planning to spend more time on that this year...among many other things!

7. ArlenBucy

ArlenBucy Senior Stratmaster

Just like with any guitar playing its all about practice. I've started playing with some slide latley. I use my acoustic and have it tuned open. I just sit and play with it. I'm not very good but the more I do it I can see improvment. So its just practice.

8. rocks

rocks Strat-O-Master

I'm sure it is just a matter of practice. But truth be told someone learning slide sounds much worse than someone learning guitar.