Slightly different shaped telecaster headstocks.

Discussion in 'Telecaster/Esquire Forum' started by Stratles, May 3, 2018.

1. Stratles

Stratles Strat-Talk Member

I got two different telecasters. ('69 FSR Japan made, and a '67 custom shop)

The thing is, I notice some differences between them regarding the headstock. I'm not talking about the truss rod or the string tree location as I know these recreate two different years, I'm talking about the shape of the headstock and the logo placement. It's not only visual, I can notice by touch how the CS got some extra tip in the upper side compared to the MIJ.

I was wondering how normal this is, are they supposed to have the same exact shape or there were variations among years as in stratocasters?

I think the Japanese one looks more similar to the ones I'm finding in google now. I'm not sure about the CS one tho. Here are some pictures:

CS:

[​IMG]

MIJ:

[​IMG]

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

They can vary quite a bit. It's not always an exact science. You may see slight variations in all types of Fender guitars. But as far as shape, I can't tell much difference there.

Stratles likes this.
  3. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

They look the same to me minus the sticker placement and color.

Stratles likes this.
  4. Stratles

Stratles Strat-Talk Member

I tried to convince myself that these were identical, but there's definitely a difference, I can even touch it.

You know, stupid things that we get obsessed over sometimes...

shupe13 likes this.
  5. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Man was involved so...

rafasounds and Stratles like this.
  6. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I don't see it. Maybe the contrasting colors make it look like they are different.

RadioFM74 and Stratles like this.
  7. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

Tuners on the MIJ seem fitted more two the centre. Seems there's more wood on the edge of the headstock.

Stratles likes this.
  8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

such differences are as common as flies in a Barnyard... just check out the Telecaster book by A.R. Duchossoir.. if I recall he has a page of the many different "shapes" of the same headstock.

it's nada big deal... 'cause ya cannot hear what shape it is.. :p

rk

9. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

I dunno, I think there could be an impact on tone - different quantities of wood, difference in how the shape affects resonance, blah blah blah... and I bet there'll be someone out there who will swear they can hear the difference! LOL. :D:p

10. Ronkirn

Oh heck yeah... I've pointed out on many occasions that any change will result in a variation in the voice of the guitar... BUT... the question is.. will that difference rise above the threshold of noticeability....

It doesn't matter how significant ya may think something is, if you cannot notice it, does it matter..

there are at this very moment stars exploding with unimaginable fury ... do any of ya care Did ya notice any? Nah ..

rk

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

canoworms.gif

12. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Somebody should a/b some different shaped heastocks with nitro & poly

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I find the subject quite interesting. Not because it makes any functional difference to the musician who owns the guitar but:

1. If you're a global corporation with intellectual protection on certain head shapes, we'd assume you know what those shapes are.
    2. Some of the interpretations look nasty, compared to the classic shapes. The STRAT from 1980 is annoyingly wrong!

https://www.guitar-list.com/fender/electric-guitars/fender-strat-cbs-models-1980-83

rafasounds likes this.
  14. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

to me it seems like they are different from the nut towards the low e tuner.

Triple Jim, rafasounds and simoncroft like this.
  15. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I have a bit of visual OCD, especially concerning guitar shapes and milimetrical variations of the "same thing". I can spot a slight variation in a strat body by eye (and I don't even "know" in exact measures that the dimensions are supposed to be). I just know when it feels close to right or not. Things that years of being a guitar nerd will do for you. For example, my three strats have very different headstocks, while all having the "same" fender small headstock. I just learned to live with it.

heltershelton likes this.
  16. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

True. The edge goes in a straight line in the second pic. Good eye

heltershelton likes this.
  17. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Where I notice slight differences in the Tele shape is around the bottom edge where it blends around to the back.

Tele-headstock_detail.jpg

18. Ronkirn

Guys, until the refinement of the CNC (I'm not sure that's happened yet) the necks continue to be hand shaped...

Nuh uh ya say ... well even today as the necks come off the CNC they are quite rough from the milling process.. so either a robot grabs it and proceeds to sand it with computerized monotony, or a person does so, with a little less monotony and somewhat more ergonomic imprecision..

the "flow" of the necks profile into the headstock is entirely left to the "interpretation" of the one sanding... which is WHAT YOU WANT...

it's that computerized precision and replication that makes guitars as boring as a Politicians promises.

Further, nasty little realities like tear-out still haunts anything that is shaping wood via a mechanized process... do you really think they are throwing away a perfectly good neck because a CNC, after a night of Shooters and a romp in the sack with the CNC from the next room managed to chip off a little from the headstock's curvy bottom?

Nope, some guy takes that rascal and sands it smooth... why? because we all love those smooth round bottoms on our "ladies" don't we? :whistling: And a lovely lady with a little flaw can still be quire alluring.

Point is, you guys are hopelessly lost in a digital cognitive mind set, like everything is exactly the same.... like some part will invoke exactly the same tonal change in every guitar it's screwed to.. like every guitar that built to some Rock God's specs will sound exactly like him,. like a .. hehe this is funny, :D . . . like every pickup bought from some maker's website with a sound track so ya can hear it will sound exactly like the track when ya install 'em in YOUR guitar... Boy.. that one's better than a Jonathan Winters routine....

Building a guitar is still an art form. The more a real person is involved, the more artistic it becomes... if ya think a group of "artists" will all produce exactly the same "art", every time.. go buy ya a quality copy of Gainsborough's "Blue Boy" .. call Sotheby's .. tell 'em ya wanna auction it off and the reserve is only 4 million... see if ya can't, at least, get a chuckle out of the guy on the other end of the phone..

every gawddammm guitar is different... even two of the 25.000.00 Blackie's done last decade... and know what, you loons want it that way or you're crazy. None of 'em are predictable... . . if they were all the same, you would all be playing some other instrument, something a little more exciting.. maybe like an accordion... :eek:

Sorry, I had some guy call last night wanting a guitar that looked and sounded exactly like Clapton's. I told him the "look like" was no problem but the "sound like" was entirely up to him... He told me to use the same parts and it would sound like Blackie... I said, nope not unless ya played like Eric.. . He got mad... I asked him how long he's been playing .. he said since he was 15.... he was now 17.... :rolleyes:

rk

19. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

If he's practiced enough, maybe he'll sound like Clapton did at 17...

What goes into making a guitar's voice? Pickups and other electrics, hardware, wood, strings, setup. We can build pickups so they're all the same, we can build pots and wires and strings and hardware so they're all the same--if we're prepared to pay a premium for tighter tolerances and know the actual measurements for the one we're copying. Finding the actual ohm measurement on Blackie's volume pot, or the number of winds in the pickups, or the value of the tone cap, requires a level of access that not many people have.

But wood is biological, and every piece is as unique as a snowflake. Even from the same tree, let alone same species of tree.
    While we can say that no two guitars sound exactly alike, it is possible to get them close enough that most people can't hear a difference. Maybe close enough that Clapton himself can't hear the difference.

In reality, most of us have never heard the guitar itself. We hear the recording, or we hear front-of-house audio. It's real hard to hit a target if you don't know what the target is.

I say let the kid do the homework, if he wants a particular pickup or volume pot he needs to at least tell you what that is--and maybe deliver it to you for installation.

20. Ronkirn

while true.. the reality is, give the authentic Blackie to an amateur . . he is not gonna sound like Clapton on a very bad day, he's gonna sound exactly like himself... and give the "kid's" guitar to Clapton, Eric is not gonna sound like the kid... he's gonna sound exactly like himself..

As I'm mentioned a time or two before, it's not the gear, it's never gonna be the gear, it is always 100% You and your talent and the gear you have at your disposal.

If "you" can play well it doesn't matter what POS you play, you will sound pretty darn good, good enough so there will be many "wannabes" in the audience that want a POS just like yours.

It is not the gear... never gonna be either.

r

Ebidis and nuculer terrist like this.