Slow Jazz Ballad

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by guitarvegas, Aug 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. guitarvegas

guitarvegas Senior Stratmaster

I found a really nice slow jazz ballad track that I liked. I will not call this jazz, because I can honestly say that I still at this point do not have enough of an understanding of music theory. And if you do not know theory then you cannot say that you play jazz.....fair.

I did my thing and was "feeling" the track. I personally like what came out. You guys may hate it, that is fine. I am not posting all the time, but when I feel I have something "worth sharing", then I will.

Have a great day!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  2. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Just imagine how it would have sounded if there was anything closely resembling a resolution in there. Or if a chord tone was hit. ;)

albala, stratosdane, Keith268 and 2 others like this.
  3. stratosdane

stratosdane Strat-O-Master

Hi Guitarvegas
    I hope you are OK with my thoughts:
    Actually I hear your playing improve from that long time ago. But how?
    To me, now your phrases sounds like how babies "talk" before they know the actual words. I think I hear you telling a story , but I don´t hear the actual words but only a kind melody of it.
    On the other hand, its like you are not recognizing and relying to the backingtrack. You don´t understand it, but really feel the mood of it.
    Thats why I get , that your love for the style are true.
    You have got so many honest advise here on ST on how to actual know which notes and where, so I can´t tell how you can learn that, but
    I just wanted to give you a credit for what you did right here.

fezz parka and albala like this.
  4. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

GV, I think there are some cool licks and runs in there, you've definitely doing your homework on technique. However there is a disconnect between what you're playing and the track... While you are following the voice within, you're ignoring the demands of the progression. While you are able to feel and express the flow of ideas coming out of your head, these ideas exist in a different world than the music on the tack.

I'm not going to offer any specific advise, as Jazz improvisation is daunting to me, but I can tell when something sounds good even if I'm not always sure why. If I was as captivated by Jazz as you are, I would absolutely want to understand the why. It is not until after I can do that, and understand the environment to some degree, that I would adventure out on my own.

Otherwise it is like running into the woods with your eyes closed: you're bumping into trees, tripping on roots, falling into ravines, getting poked by branches, and completely missing the path, but you keep running and thinking "I got this".
    Even if you were in great running shape, it is best to learn the path before you start running. You seem to be making very good progress as a runner, but you're still not seeing the path.

stratosdane and albala like this.
  5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

A ballad has form. ABCB.

The second and fourth "lines" have to rhyme, or cloesly relate to, each other.

This of course relates to lyrical content of a ballad. But ..instrumental "ballads" should follow this form as well.

You have to know the rules before you break them.

You can know words...but in order to be universally understood...you have to make sentences. Sentences that one can comprehend.

Go watch the movie Nell. You're Jodie Foster :)

dogletnoir and stratosdane like this.