Slowly warming to Strats.... Anyone else take a while to fall in love?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by FortyEight, Sep 11, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Strat-Talk Member

I like the feel of the body, the looks and the history. I don't like how the middle pup gets in the way of picking at times, the sounds can be kind of trebly, and I really don't like the quack sounds of the inbetween. And the big kicker, why in the world there is no tone knob for the bridge pup is beyond me. That one needs it.

So, for those reasons I was always a Tele guy. I played a lot in a few bands back in the 90's and a Tele is what I settled on as my main guitar. I like the smoothness of the neck pup and the simplicity. I never used the bridge pup back then.

So, now I'm getting to be an older guy and hopefully a bit wiser and informed, I actually learned how to start using the tone knob and volume knob for different sounds. I am playing bridge pups more.

So.... If I have a question it is do like a lot of you strat guys deal with the bridge pup and mod your pups? Or just use your amp? Or just like that super screaming ear blistering sound?

I just bought a Bullet made in 2010 for 80 bucks and I like the feel of it. Although I'm in the process of making the neck right (a few high frets) there is something kind of cool about this one. It seems like it has potential. The thing that strikes me of this one is just how clean it sounds. It seems like it's just, got a clean-ness that a Tele doesn't normally do. Which is a good choice to have instead of just relying on my Tele.

I am currently working on recording some songs and there's definitely a place for a guitar that will cut through the mix. When I play an electric by itself, my ears likes the lower smoother sounds. And sometimes that works for songs. But it can also get drowned out by other instruments possibly. And is too close to the bass in frequency.

Anyways..... One other tidbit, I have a "Starcaster" that my Mom gave to me cuz she didn't play it and for several years it was my only electric. I was playing bass at church and didn't have a need for anything other than my acoustic and that Starcaster. Now that I'm playing guitar more again and working on new songs I bought an Affinity Tele, which I like. But I used the starcaster for a solo on a song yesterday and really liked it. But the caveat is: For some reason that one has the bridge and middle both wired to the second tone knob.

Has anyone done this as a mod to their Strat? Was this a mistake? I like it. I saw the half blender mod but I think I would like to keep it simple and just get the bridge wired to the 2nd tone knob like my Starcaster. Anyone know how to do that?

Thank you for listening and for the help.

Lousy pics attached..... (eta: I kept seeing pics of black teles and strats with white pickguards and was always like blaaaaaa. But they look a heck of a lot better in person I think. Although I think I would prefer off white)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

yes, it wasn't until I decked the trem that I truly discovered how awesome a Strat is.

that was after about 6 months of ownership and dealing with strings that were always out of tune

3. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

18 years....
    I'm working on it...
    [I promise]

4. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Went from a Tele to three strats , love em. Wouldn’t mind adding a Tele back into the mix.

Stratbats and Sarnodude like this.
  5. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

I prefer bourbon.

6. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

Yea, it took me close to twenty years from my first Strat to having one be my main guitar. I had most of the same complaints you did. Once I got a Strat with 22 frets, and then with a bridge humbucker, it was all over though.

SunburstHSH and Sonicbridge like this.
  7. space

space Strat-O-Master

cant say they are my fav yet
    had an 80's that i cud not bond with
    now i have a 79 and an ibby strat both i really like but tht 70's ash is like a boat anchor!

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I run a compressor, I cut the highs on my amp down to about 3, then I use a hot single coil bridge pickup and use the master tone knob on it down to 5-6. You probably will have to change the tone knob wiring for it to have an effect on the bridge pickup, but to me, it's a must.

I like the sound of it better than my Tele bridge pickup, to be totally honest.

but a strat bridge pickup run with no tone knob, with highs on the amp, turned up... not my cup of tea.

EQ adjustments make all the difference in the world. An SSS Strat can sound icepicky and thin, or fat and thick.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

There's no such thing as a perfect guitar; no matter which you go with, you'll have to learn to deal with its limitations and annoyances. Do the sounds you get out of it make up for them, and is there an easy way to correct them?
    If so, it isn't hard to fall in love.

10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I've fallen in Like with my latest Strat. But I think when I get back again playing with other humanoid life forms, I will probably appreciate it more. Frankly I got it to do lots of ambient stuff. And play Comfortably Numb of course.

Stratbats and Stratafied like this.
  11. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

For me, I've always liked Strats, and my first electric guitar was a Strat-style. Also I've never found that the middle pickup gets in the way of my picking. So I don't think it took me long to warm up.

And to me, Gibson Les Pauls and SGs often seem to sound too dark and muddy. I know there are musicians who get great sounds from them, but when I play them, I don't think they sound as good as when other people play them. Perhaps I'm used to the more trebly/"quacky" sounds from Strats.

Strat1958 and Stratafied like this.
  12. Stratafied

I get some nice warm sounds from my neck pickup on my strat.

13. Stratafied

Like will turn into love...

elduderinoTF likes this.
  14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member

I've found that too. I used to often play some blues riffs with the neck pickup, and I thought it sounded pretty good.

Stratafied likes this.
  15. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

It’s all about the amp. Everything else is a form or variation of Tourette’s syndrome.

Stratbats and Stratafied like this.
  16. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wiring bridge to tone knob is a pretty common mod. I tried it but went back to stock. I like that screaming bridge sound

Stratafied likes this.
  17. Stratafied

In some cases it’s what you first started playing for whatever reasons. I never really had much experience with LPs . I’ve tried a few at GC and just didn’t get the vibe, I love everything thing about the Strat. Size feel the available colors and necks, and the looks , I gotta love the look of what I’m playing.

Tonespinner 2, CapCrunch and DanielB like this.
  18. Stratafied

Hey new Avatar!!!

CalicoSkies likes this.
  19. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-Talk Member

I fell in love with my first Tele the moment I picked it up for the first time. Enthused by the Tele I went and bought myself a nice Strat, a '96 US Lone Star. It took me about a month (probably 40 hours playing) to really get into it. Now it's easily one of my favorite guitars. I think you have to learn to play a Strat - I don't strum chords on it, I pick every string in the chord individually, kinda of like a banjo.

DanielB likes this.
  20. GilmourD

GilmourD Strat-Talker

I've been playing for 26 years and while I've owned a few Strats, even with "Stratocaster" on the headstock, they've not been STRATS. They've had hot pickups, active preamps, Floyd Roses, hardtail bridges, and all sorts of different configurations. It's only recently that I have had a desire for a STRAT Strat and I filled that with my Squier Classic Vibe '60s.

Keep on Truckin and SteveG_in_MD like this.