Slowly warming to Strats.... Anyone else take a while to fall in love?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by FortyEight, Sep 11, 2020.

1. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

So
    You're going to single out bourbon....
    Oh
    Oh
    Oh
    I forgot it's Friday

2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

d3e942ea2f42d84ccd4b6ef2c07f481e--emoji-faces-smiley-faces.jpg

3. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-O-Master

Coming from superstrats (Ibanez RG's, etc.) the strat always came up short for me. Ive always loved the feel/body contour ergonomics of the strat though. Never was a single coil guy either. In the past the addition of strat sized HB's or full size fixed that. Im partial to strat size blades. Keeps the pup over a smaller string area... Then there was the trem...Its only been recently Ive been able to set up the vibrato to function well under heavy use. Since then Ive played my two " fully functional" strats more than my RG's...

4. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

The first time I saw (paid attention to a) Strat, c. 1979/80... I wanted one.

brians and DanielB like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

My favorite low priced used guitar to find is the scroll head starcasters. Chunky necks, full bodies. Swapping the pots, switch, jack with MIA types improves the feel and durability.

If you're hitting your middle pickup while picking, then lower it. Actually, best tone is lowering all the pickups and raise the bridge pickup until volume parity with the neck. Especially ceramic magnet pickups.

All you need to do is identify the lug the second tone knob goes to, find the lug next to it that is bare, and putting a jumper between those two lugs.

+1 deck or block the trem improved the playing experience.

I also use the Armstrong Blender ... SSS blends to HSH. There's another blender mod with just adding one pickup. Not as much fun.

FortyEight likes this.
  6. DanielB

DanielB Strat-Talk Member

Hi, with me, it was love at first sight, no warming up period, although it took me forty four years of playing guitar before purchasing my first Fender Stratocaster. Having played a Gibson SG for over forty years with humbucker pickups and a Gretsch Streamliner for the last three years as well with its Broad'tron pickups, I love the sound of the single coil pickups and am still amazed at all the variety of sounds one can get from the five way pickup positions on the Strat. I especially love the Bridge-Middle and Neck-Middle (2 and 4) positions. I use a Fender Champion 20 amp and get whatever sounds I need from the amp and the guitar. No mods done. Still loving the Strat and wondering only why I did not buy one many years ago. s-l500.jpg

Viking likes this.
  7. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

My story is a bit the opposite of yours. I loved the look of a Strat when I was a little kid, but had only ever played a Les Paul (my dad is amazing and let me play it as if it were mine). One day he bought a Strat. I liked how it looked (black strat, rosewood) but had little interest in it. Then one day as we were playing in the basement, he said you have to try the Strat. The second he put it in my lap I fell in love. I LOVED the feel of it. It felt like it was made for me. I loved the huge neck and contoured body. The single coils took some getting used to. Then I became obsessed with Strats and bought my own a few years later. My story is opposite to yours in the way that I never looked twice at Teles and thought they were ugly. I never ever thought I would like a Tele. Then one day, after having recently met my GF, she tells me her father played guitar in the early '70s and has an old guitar. She took me to her parents' room and pulled an old Fender case out from under the bed. My adrenaline hit and when she opened it I saw a '67 blonde tele. Long story short, I ended up plugging it into my Peavey Classic 50 and I was BLOWN AWAY by the sound of the guitar. It took 10 seconds to erase years of "Strats = life" mentality.

Sorry, went on a bit of a tangent there.

To answer the original question, I could not imagine not having a tone pot on the bridge pickup of my Strat. And until recently (and I've been playing guitar for 30+ years) I didn't realize some Strats didn't have tone control on the bridge. That said, it has always bothered me that the bridge pickup on my '99 American Standard Strat was barely usable. If you set your amp up to have nice biting tones on the neck and middle, the bridge will often be too bright. I kind of just avoid using it pretty much. It's really rare that I'll switch down to the bridge.

8. gaddis

gaddis Senior Stratmaster

That’s about the only thing I never liked about strats. The solution is easy though. A simple jumper wire allows the second tone control to serve both the middle and bridge pickups.

9. FortyEight

FortyEight Strat-Talk Member

I gotta learn how to solder.

I got another issue is my Vox Cambridge Korean V9159 is taking a dumper. Gotta scramble to figure out what to do on a budget. I like the sound and size of that amp. I'm thinking about getting a head and using the speaker in the cabinet.

I fixed (mostly) the frets on this squier bullet I bought and it feels great. Except once I did it all I found out I missed a spot. LOL. I gotta finish up one little spot. But dang it feels really nice. I wanted to hear it through my amp but since it took a crap.... Ugh.

I guess that's what I get for buying an amp used on facebook. That speaker is pretty cool though I would like to utilize it.

10. FortyEight

FortyEight Strat-Talk Member

Yeah this black one I got I got the pups pretty low. I got them where I think they sound best which is just a bit above the pickguard. HOWEVER. I've tried this several times with the starcaster and despite that a lot of people say drop them low for the best sound, that one doesn't for some reason. They just sound, weird. Lose a bunch of volume and there's no clarity. It sounds like I'm playing next door. Or something like that.

And it's weird I will see some people that seem to know what they're doing with the pups pretty high.

11. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Spending more time lately learning how to make it easier to play (setup, blah blah blah) and sound good (amp/effects/tone/volume). I never "disliked" my Strats. I just never had the time (when working) to dive into playing, setup and effects settings.

I have a 78 hardtail, EC and Elite and each became my #1 in that order. That hardtail is cool but way too heavy nowadays.

12. rbspql

rbspql Strat-Talker

When I was young I only had a Strat copy, cheap and with no way of setting it up correctly. Later I bought a PRS Strat (EG 4 bolt-on) and forgot about my dream of having a real Strat.
    When I least imagined it, I started playing again and this time in a real active coverband. I rediscovered my old desire for a Strat and sold the PRS to buy a Classic 50s (plus amp and pedals that I no longer had)...
    Never looked back. I love the Strat even if I know the PRS was superiorly built. For me it was a dream come true. Can't help it...
    Ok, now go on and ban me.... ;-)

13. beeflin

beeflin Strat-Talk Member

I'm a huge Blackmore fan, and also love lots of other star Strat players like Bolan, Trower, Marvin, Hendrix & Gallagher, but always hated the sounds that small-time players seem to settle for - plasticky, quacky, thin, lacking both the cut of the Tele and the body of the Les Paul, so I didn't get one until I had all the other guitars I wanted and finally needed all its quirks to complete the set. Now I have one I'm discovering its subtle virtues.

I've always really loved the design, though. THE most beautiful, flowing shape of all solid guitars.

FortyEight likes this.
  14. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

I bought my first Strat in 1984, and have had 4 LP's, 3 PRS's, a Gretsch, and 3 Tele's since. I still find myself drifting back to the Strat, and frankly, keep trying to love an LP, and I just can't get there. Tele's, great. I have a PRS McCarty 594 that is the best humbucker guitar I've owned, but i still have to "adjust" to it, and work to get the feel of it, but I can get there.
    Have only two Strats now, both partscasters, and everytime I pick them up they feel perfect.

15. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

No Grouse hunting, the fires ran me out....
    It was love at first sight and the fit was unbelievable but she cheated on me so my Epi P93 gets equal time...:D

16. hdsteele

hdsteele Strat-Talker

I may hold the current record, not sure. Took me from 1966 until 2017 when I finally went Strat with a Gilmour lefty. Until then it was LP's and some other stuff.

17. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

It’s a process. It concludes with thoughts of spending between $700 and $1,500!

18. gitapik

gitapik Strat-Talker

Hendrix was my favorite electric player. I always wanted a white Strat. But I was completely into acoustic when I started and for years.

Then I decided to get an electric. I saw a used ‘69 LP, beat to s#*t, for sale. $300. No brainer considering I had little money and I loved Page’s sounds. The rosewood board and 3x3 headstock we’re familiar to me, so it was an easy transition.

Ten years later and I’ve got my first “musician’s job”. I immediately bought a Strat with a maple board.

I hated it. Like playing on a bowling alley. And the string tension/action was so different from my LP.

But, as with so many others; I found that the body shape fit like a glove. And the sounds were wonderful. So I stuck with it. Sanded the gloss from the board and replaced with a satin. Got more familiar with the string tension. Lots of practice made it much more useable.

The LP eventually ended up as my second guitar. Strat all the way.

Then I tried out a EBMM Silhouette.

Same sounds as my Strat with a similar body shape, but with a more comfortable string tension/action. And I dug the compact size.

I’ve got a hard tail Silo and decked Silo Special, now. Love my Strat but the Silos get much more attention. Stratocaster sounds and body shape are my favorites but I like a 3x3 and, now, 4x2 headstock more than the straight six on The Strat and Tele designs.

19. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

Everoe has their unique experience with both teles and strats. I had a couple of jags and a cheap student fender before I got my first tele. Didn't have much interest in a strat until 20 years later, on a whim. Asked a friend of mine and he loaned me his only strat (he's a tele guy and had taken this in on a deal). A 2000 black Am Std with RW and a purple pearloid pickguard. Colors don't affect the sound or plyability. It was comfy, but I kept getting my fingers raked on the PG screw heads. Gave it back. Hah! Not the end of it. It had gotten to me. two weeks later I bought it, had big block pearl inlays put on and added locking tuners. It's a sharp looking item now. Strats and teles complement each other, and that's how I use them.

20. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Oh.....about 50 years or so. ;)

My first one was a '67 received in '69 to pay off a debt. I traded it for a '69 Tele and thereafter remained Strat-less 'til last summer and it had to be a hard tail or I wouldn't have bought it. I'm far more a Telecaster type. :)