Slowly warming to Strats.... Anyone else take a while to fall in love?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by FortyEight, Sep 11, 2020.

1. SatinNeck81

SatinNeck81 Strat-Talk Member

I started with an Epiphone Les Paul, slowly but surely figured out I liked the tonal palette of the Strat better. The 5 way pickup switch, the tremolo, the maple neck, the difference in weight (the strat is much lighter). I've never had tuning stability issues with my strat and I've always floated the trem. The bridge pup in my strat is wired to the tone knob I think, unless it only does the middle, but I thought it controlled the middle and bridge. With a fuzz or some overdrive the bridge pup sounds great, I just don't use it when I'm playing super clean.

2. FortyEight

FortyEight Strat-Talk Member

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not alone. I like how some of you feel the same way. The body feels great. But the tones are not my favorite. I think I'm gonna try humbuckers in my Squier I got.

It's got a solid feel for playing. But I just can't get behind much of the sounds coming out of it. I'm not sure if I should try different single coils. Part of me wants to have one wired with tele pups to see what it would sound like. But I may just go all the way different with humbuckers cuz I think it will give me more of the lower end I'm wanting to hear.

3. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I think it happened pretty fast for me, but I don't really remember. I've been a strat guy for 40+ years. I remember having a Mustang and an Ibanez Les Paul knockoff before the strat. The Ibanez was a GREAT guitar, but as soon as I got the strat, I was home. Don't recall if it was instant - it might have taken until I realized I could get those 2 & 4 sounds a lot easier by retrofitting a five-way switch to replace the original 3 way. I know I never looked back after that switch switch. I've had a few number twos along the way, but nothing ever came close to displacing a strat as #1.

-Ray

GeejeeZ and FortyEight like this.
  4. Floopty Doo

Floopty Doo Strat-Talk Member

Just posted this morning about how I just got my first Strat after 30+ years. I'm digging it!

FortyEight likes this.
  5. LesPStrat

LesPStrat New Member!

I am a Les Paul guy from way back, best friend was always the Strat guy. We’d switch guitars at times and I just couldn’t get why someone would rather play a Strat than an LP. Then one day I was in GC Christmas shopping for my son and saw this cherry burst MIM Strat and sat down and played it for 40 min while my wife was outside in the car( won’t do that again). But I finally heard those glassy bell tones my buddy always told me he loved in a Strat. I didn’t buy that one though and my wife bought me a “Super” Strat later ( which didn’t sound like a Strat at all and I hated it). So later my buddy gave me a Fender Strat neck and body and I built one which I still have with Fender pups and cts pots. One day I’m going to buy a genuine Fender Strat though.
    I still love the LP but now I get the Strat.

FortyEight likes this.
  6. SteveG_in_MD

SteveG_in_MD Strat-Talk Member

I love my Squier Classic Vibe '60s Strat. It was my first electric guitar, except for some cheap loaners, and now it feels like home to me.

7. SteveG_in_MD

SteveG_in_MD Strat-Talk Member

(I posted this to one of the other replys.) I love my Squier Classic Vibe '60s Strat. It was my first electric guitar, except for some cheap loaners, and now it feels like home to me.

8. Dirtville

Dirtville Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

9. Dirtville

I was a Les

10. Dirtville

11. Dirtville

Ooops on that last post. I was a Les Paul/SG player for years. I was using my Black Custom LesPaul when I thought I'd start checking out a Strat. First one was Pewter Gray Eric Clapton Signature with the mid boost on the bottom tone control knob.
    I took it to the gig, I'd strap it on and after a couple songs I'd put my Custom back on and put away the E.C. Strat. Did this for about 3 months and decided if I'm going to keep this Strat I better leave my Les Paul at home... Scary
    I suffered through the first set, then the second set I started working with the mid boost on the solos. I thought now here is that growl I was looking for. After about six weeks, I brought my Les Paul, played one song and put it down and picked up the Strat. Played the rest of the night with it. I did get back to using both, but I've played this E.C. Strat for 30 years, made some upgrades. SuperVee locking trem, Hot Noiseless pups... it's one screaming Strat. I'm needing new frets. Thinking of stainless, but recently purchased the New Ultra Stratocaster in Pasma Red Burst with the vintage Noiseless pups. I'm in Love all over again though I did put Super-Vee's Blade Runner Trem on it...
    So, yes it took me 40 yrs to buy a Strat and about 3 months to really warm up to it...
    Sorry, once I got started I started rambling... haha

GeejeeZ, FortyEight and EC Strat like this.
  12. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

I was cool on Strats until I played one that was set up correctly in terms of action and pickup height. Previously, the ones I had played were all tight-feeling and way too twangy (fast attack, no sustain). Once I got my hands on one with smooth action and well-adjusted pickups, it was a whole new world. The Strat remains the gold standard for playability and musicality. There's a reason why so many boutique builders make... Strats of a different name.

FortyEight and EC Strat like this.
  13. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

For me, the strat was love at first sight Always has been and always will be.

teles have been a slow burn for me, but I did a build and I’m loving that thing! The bridge pickup slays with high gain

even MUCH slower with les Pauls
    although I completely respect them and Gibson.

I will eventually have a LP to complete the holy trinity of guitars

GeejeeZ likes this.
  14. csimic

csimic New Member!

15. FortyEight

FortyEight Strat-Talk Member

Now my house and yours are brothers. It looks lived in. :) I mean if I had the time and energy to keep my place spotless, I would. Just never happens that way. LOL.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure I would like the sound of offsets any more that strats. They seem real thin to me. Maybe for certain things. I should try to own one someday to see....

But I think it would also have to have humbuckers. I could go for a HH Jaguar. As long as I could move the switch to further back though.... Although I played a Jay Mascis one at Music Go round and it felt pretty good. and the switch was not like a LP. It was forward and backward. That might work cuz if I hit it while strumming it might not change positions....

16. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Chasing the quack is why I bought my first one in '88, after playing Gibbies for 20 years. Took me about five years to really adjust to the long fender scale. But I always wanted one, wanted to learn that end of it. I've put quack chasing behind me and live for the jangle now. Thought I wanted a Rickenbacker until I had a loaner for a week. Strats are simply the best at what they do, desert island guitar if there is such a thing.

17. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo New Member!

My first Strat was an '89 Tobacco burst. A 62 AVRI and it was stolen so I replaced it under insurance with a 2000 - same model and different color. Much better guitar and was my #1 for 10 years. I got an itch for an LP so I added that to the herd. Then I got into partscasters and made a Warmoth Strat and the Fender '54 pickups were about the worst I've ever heard. No matter what I did the sound was horrible. I started building guitars from scratch and the first one was a Strat. I started winding my own pickups and the partscaster and the scratch built are sounding great.

However, I bought a Custom Shop 335 real cheap from a friend and it's phenomenal along with a few Teles that I've built. Long story short it's a hard decision for me as I give them all lots of love. Strats were first for me and probably will always be. Don't count out Teles though....

GeejeeZ and FortyEight like this.
  18. 76standard

76standard Strat-Talk Member

Congrats on your recent addition of a Strat to your guitar arsenal. It is a different animal from a Tele, so there will be differences that will stick out. I was a Gibson Les Paul devotee for years until I could afford to purchase my first Fenders; a Strat first, then a Tele. They are all different, and as such, should be viewed accordingly. Each has its own voice, along with its pros and cons. You just need to accept that.

Now for your observations, along with mine. First, and I cannot stress this enough, a properly set up guitar is a must. All the usual suspects, new strings, neck relief, nut gap at the first fret, tremolo set up and lubrication, along with pickup height and intonation. Raising and/or lowering pickups can change the output (volume). Start with Fenders basic set up and adjust the pickups for output so they are balanced. The bridge and neck pickups will usually be the ones to focus on. Use your ears! You are right that the bridge pickup on a Strat does not have a tone control. Pay attention to how your amp is EQ’d. This will usually mean striking a balance between the tonal spectrum of each pickup or each of the potential positions with the 5-way switch.

If you are still not happy with the tone of the stock bridge pickup consider modifying the wiring to use a tone control for the bridge pickup. I believe this is how your Starcaster is wired. I discovered this one at Premier Guitar. Here is the link:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/strat-bridge-pickup-tone-control-1

Premier Guitar has another popular and useful mod that they call the tone split mod. I think this one gives a bit more versatility than the previous one. Again, here is the link:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Stratocaster_Tone_Split_Mod

If that doesn’t work for you, consider the installation of a blender pot. It allows you to “blend” the neck and bridge pickups together. I have this on my Strat and really like the tonal possibilities. You blend together the two pickups by using the bottom tone control, and the upper tone control still adds or takes away treble for the neck and middle pickups. You still can use the second and fourth positions on the 5-way switch to get that distinct “quack” people describe. Again, this mod is reversible.

Finally, the second and fourth positions of the 5-way switch expands the tonal possibilities of your Strat. Give it some time and experiment with them. If you just can’t stand those positions, then don’t use them. I hope this gives you some new ideas to explore with your new Strat. Quest on!

FortyEight likes this.
  19. Builder 2010

Builder 2010 Strat-Talk Member

In 1961 my parents bought me a used Fender Duo-Sonic. At that same time I met my playing buddy, Jerry Roth. Jerry had a well-worn, used late-50s Strat. Within a couple of years I needed to upgrade and jumped over the Strat since I saw it as "out-of-date" and bought a then-new Fender Jaguar. Jerry and I had a competitive deal going on. According to me, my more hip Jaguar had it all over the Strat. I also had a monster Fender Single Showman compared to Jerry's Bandmaster. Clearly I was winning. :sneaky:

I went off to Michigan State and Jerry stayed in Philly and went to Temple U. I formed a terrific R&B band, The Sounds & Sondettes, and the Jaguar was just too surfer sound for what we were doing so I bought a Gibson ES-175 (as seen in my avatar) and that was that. In the summers, Jerry and I would get together do some gigs and trade songs we learned.

In 1972, due to the desire to buy a good stereo system, I sold my dear Gibson and bought a flat top Yamaha which I had for years. During the ensuing 20 years, the Jaguar become unpopular and the Strat became the world standard with almost every world-class guitarist playing it at one time or the other. So in 1992, when I was now making a pretty good living, I went out to buy an electric guitar, again and this time it had to be a Strat. And I picked a good one. It's a 1992 American Strat Deluxe Plus that I still have and it's still pristine. Since I stopped playing professionally in 1967, my guitars don't get much wear. BTW: I did re-buy a Gibson Es-175D three years ago, a pristine 1995 model, but this time I didn't have to sell another beloved instrument to pay for it.

FortyEight likes this.
  20. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

I discovered the strat after almost 10 years of playing Gibson-scale instruments and owning a Telecaster for 5 years at that point. The guitar was a Squier 20th Anniversary standard. In truth, it was pretty basic, and I had yet to learn how to tame the shrill bridge pickup.

Fast forward to today, and I count my parts-built strats as some of the nicest guitars I own. Tonally, they are super versatile, as well as being incredibly tough and solid tuning-wise because I hardly use the trem.

That said, it was difficult at the beginning to truly understand and learn how to overcome several of the stratocaster's shortcomings. Thankfully, that is now a thing of the past.

FortyEight likes this.