Small defects on brand new Strato Pro II

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thenomadsoul, Jan 21, 2021.

What do you think?

1. It is totally normal. Keep the guitar

43.5%
  2. It looks a fabrication issue. Replace it.

56.5%
  1. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

What way are you leaning OP? Not looking for a definitive of course, just a... leaning update :) !

2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

I guess the main question would be is this lacquer overspray or a gouge in the rosewood? Overspray should wear off - like it wears off frets on maple board necks - but you would have to watch and make sure it just wears off the rosewood and doesn't start chipping off the maple. If it's in the wood then it could be more of an issue if the wood starts chipping away over time - I suppose you could keep rolling it to make it smooth.

3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

It is right.
    That is the edge of the lacquer. It isn't a perfectly straight edge (because of the rolled edges).

I'm not saying 1600 bucks is a cheap guitar, but it's certainly not high end.

If I saw that on a 6000 dollar huss and daulton ( which I wouldn't see that), then I'd gripe about it.
    They of course would have made sure that edge was perfect before it left the factory. That's what 6 grand buys you.

You won't get that from a mass produced strat. You can send them back all day, every day. Good luck with that.
    I'd rather be playing.

RobZ69 and CB91710 like this.
  4. rocknrollrich

It's not actually over spray at all.
    I have a rosewood board American deluxe and the lacquer or poly (whatever) is sprayed right up to the top of the fretboard edge.

It is (probably)masked to avoid spraying onto the fretboard top.
    Remove the tape you have a nice clean edge (maybe not).
    After it is handled a bit on it's way to the case, box, then store, then customer, it chips a little.

2000 grit sandpaper and one or two quick passes, it's blended back in.
    They are not going to do that at fender.
    Even their custom shop isn't going to do that.
    It is what it is.

StratoMutt likes this.
  5. thenomadsoul

thenomadsoul Strat-Talk Member

I am still not sure about what to do ahah! I love how the guitar sounds and looks, but it has been a big expense for me and I wished the guitar didn't have defects. It bothers me a bit, but also because I am a bit OCD about new expensive stuff. I always keep my stuff with maximum care. I was honestly hoping to hear everybody tell me it was not a defect and this is how Fender are.

I bought it from Guitar Center, because I wanted to make sure I had the possibility to return it/exchange it if there were issues with it. I will sleep on it a bit more :D

J4ME5 likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

" I was honestly hoping to hear everybody tell me it was not a defect and this is how Fender are."

It's not, and they are.

Doc538, RobZ69 and StummerJoe like this.
  7. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

Play it and wear it smooth. Not worth obsessing over. More of that may crop up. It could be worse on another neck as well.

You could smooth it out yourself with mild abrasives like Micro Mesh.

8. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-Talker

I totally understand friend, do sleep on it - you never know... your decision WILL come to you soon enough, and whatever you decide to do - I'm sure it will be right for you, it won't be the end of the world either way :thumb: !

9. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

I simply do not think a $1600 guitar ought to have that sort of sloppy execution. If customers don't hold makers to a standard, those standards will drop further. So I'd insist on a change.

jtoomuch likes this.
  10. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

I certainly see your point and have been disappointed by the slack QC from both Gibson and now Fender. Their prices keep increasing but the product quality is certainly not. Having said that, if this were me - and the guitar is otherwise a great player and sounds really good, I would simply take some 800-1000 grit paper and just smooth over that laquered edge on both sides. IMO, returning it to get another poses a high risk on getting either the same, or other new QC problems that may be worse. I can't believe I'm saying this about a U.S. model in this price range now. I have several Epiphones and some Squier VM's that are stellar finish quality. If it really bothers you (and I can certainly see why it would), just return it until you get one you're happy with - after all, its your hard earned money. :)

Glyderslead likes this.
  11. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Senior Stratmaster

If the guitar feels great then just keep it.As you will keep playing it there will be more inevitable wear and tear anyways so the issue will become even more irrelevant.

publius and StratoMutt like this.
  12. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Grab some 800 grit sandpaper and knock it down. It'll take 10 minutes and you'll be much happier in the end.

Bob the builder likes this.
  13. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

Sure. But better QC costs money. Over time, that's how a $1600 guitar becomes and $1800 guitar unless Fender can find more efficient ways to deliver quality. We all want the best bang for the buck and don't want to settle.

At the end of the day, the OP has to decide what's important to him, but what I hear is that he loves how the guitar plays, and given what else I've seen, including my old AmStd (similar price point), he might return it and end up with the same problem, or return it, solve the fretboard edge issue, and get a guitar that simply doesn't play as well. Bird in hand and all.

Always keep a guitar that makes you want to play. That's the best value there is.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  14. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I’m honestly not seeing what the issue is, sorry. But it’s your guitar, if it bugs you then return it.

15. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

Lol, maybe all my guitars look like this... I know I need glasses.

upload_2021-1-21_16-42-34.png

But if I were you, I would sand that down and be done with it -- that is, *IF* the guitar is a keeper otherwise!

CB91710, myredstrat and Antstrat like this.
  16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

wait until you put a ding in the body, then you won't see the imperfections anymore

ratdoc and Antstrat like this.
  17. Willmunny

Willmunny Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I agree it would annoy me to see it on an expensive (to me) guitar.
    Then if I liked it, I would take some time and elbow grease and "fix" it
    Just my 2c

18. Hydr0

Hydr0 Senior Stratmaster

It's a personal choice. For me, if it plays great, I'd keep it. Also, I hate dealing with returning process and looking for something perfect. Also, I'd be worried I wouldn't find another one that played as well for me. Too much stress, but that's just me.

Others are happier to search for the perfect instrument and I'm sure there are times they are successful. It sounds like you have a great return policy with GC.

I'm afraid, you're gonna have to go with your gut and make this decision for yourself. I'm sure that's not the answer you want here, but that's the truth.

The main thing is, whichever way you decide, don't look back..if you decide to keep it, forget about this "issue". If you decide to return it, don't get it stuck in your head that this guitar played so great and you'll never find another player like it.

I understand that $1,600 is a lot of money and valuable, but so is your time and I'd suggest not to spend too much of your time focused on an issue this small, especially after you make your decision...always look forward.

Also, remember to keep these things in perspective, these are first-world problems :)

I have a feeling that in the end, you'll be happy either way.

Good luck!

J4ME5 likes this.
  19. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

It wouldn't bother me but I've seen guitars that cost a lot less than $1600 finished better than that.

dirocyn and StummerJoe like this.
  20. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

First, it's a a satin urethane finish not lacquer. Second, if the guitar plays and sounds amazing I'd keep it - there is no guarantee a replacement will be as good. Third, if it were bugging me I would sand it down with 1200.

That's what I would do, and it doesn't really matter. What's important is that YOU have to be happy.

Good luck.:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Bob the builder and Willmunny like this.