So I’ve been in Eb for a while now

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jdanelam, Sep 1, 2020.

Do you have an E Flat Strat?

1. Yah

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. Nah

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Mahbah

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. jdanelam

jdanelam Strat-Talker Silver Member

I have been playing at a church that we have attended for maybe 7 months now and we play a lot of songs in Eb, Bb, F#, C# so I have had the Strat tuned down for a few months and am loving it. My Gretsch isn’t getting the playing time it should but with them changing keys of songs the way they do, Eb actually works better. Might try the Gretsch tuned down as well and see what’s what.

7A3A4923-6BBC-4652-9D54-0D5324907037.jpeg

joe_cpwe, Lovnmesomestrat and Groovey like this.
  2. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Got one in Eb....got one in Drop A.

takes all kinds.

3. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Senior Stratmaster

Some in Eb, some in standard.
    I generally just see how the guitar works once I get it (or in my case finish building it and string it up for the first time). Some seem stiffer, so get tuned down, other seem much easier to play, so get tuned to standard......and/or strung up with heavier strings. I have so many styles of music I play that I just slot new guitars in where they fit best, rather than trying to make them into something they're not.

4. Misfit

Misfit Senior Stratmaster

When I was playing in a cover band, we had a couple of songs worked best in Eb. Since I had to manage with 1 guitar, and you can't really retune a strat with floating trem mid-session, I learnt to play all songs in Eb tuning.... overall, it improved my skills a lot and I think fewer open chords = better sound. For some songs that were too hard to convert, I used a capo on the 1st fret.

I tried to "cheat" with a Digitech Drop pedal, but that felt very weird and caused digital artifects in the sound.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  5. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

yep
    got an acoustic in Eb too
    but they are not my go to guitars, just certain songs.
    I keep a few capos handy also...once again, certain songs.

6. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

I don't think strats sound right at all in 440 E standard.
    I think at best they want Eb but I really dig D for blues!
    Then there's the gorgeousness that is Open G ..

7. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have and use one of the drop pedals. It's not my favorite thing in the world of clean, but throw some dirt in there and it's great.

8. Misfit

Misfit Senior Stratmaster

Agree with caveat to replace "some" with "significant" dirt. Same as with Whammy pedal; that's how Morello and Gilmour get away with it superbly.

9. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

I started using Eb while learning songs for the praise team. But, I did it more for the vocals. I would learn the songs in Eb, then work during the week to get my vocals up to pitch.

10. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

I mean, generally we are not playing in drop c or drop b in a clean tone. Not gonna change guitars just to play Love shack up in here.

11. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Great excuse to have more than one guitar. ;)
    Lots of songs have been recorded in E flat so it's good to have one around if you're learning songs.
    Because of the band I'm in I've been keeping two guitars in standard, two in E flat, and I've got one Strat in D to accommodate our singer on a few tunes. Once I put a heavier gauge string on it (10-52) really played and sounded a better. I use the same gauge (9-46) on the others. This band only plays in E flat and D.

12. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

I do a lot of playing in keys like E flat, A flat, B flat, etc. But don’t see the need to retune a guitar to do that. I play a lot of the old songs from The Great American Songbook. Many of those were written in those flat keys. Why tune a guitar differently to do so?

13. EricMD4692

EricMD4692 Strat-Talk Member

E-flat is the way to go! On my guitar anyway. I would rather put a capo on if I ‘really got to be in E’ than tune up! It’s set up so great for me and I would hate throwing that off. I can’t get another guitar though. This one says that’s cheating.

14. fommof

fommof Strat-Talker

I had been in Eb for about a decade.

Now it's been 15 years since I've gone standard D (all my guitars and basses).

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  15. Trickster019

Trickster019 Strat-Talker

I need it to play Slash and SRV.

16. TubeStack

TubeStack Strat-Talk Member

I love my Strat tuned to Eb standard. Feels great and sounds so rich.

I just have one Strat, so I tune it back and forth at home, if I get in the mood.

With the band, I’ll tune it back and forth at a practice, but for a gig I’ll do it between sets.

17. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

In my trio band, which was a blues rock/funk band, we tuned to Eb for several reasons. First so I didn’t break as many strings, second so it was a little easier to sing for three hours, third because Jimi and SRV both tunes to Eb. But the SINGLE BEST REASON was that it kept harmonica players from being able to sit in! Our music was such that every wannabe harp player thought they would be able to jump right in and jam with us, and do you know what the difference between a Harmonica Player and Frog is?........ the frog is on his way to a GIG! That’s no lie!

These days I tend to tune down a full step and play a lot in D standard. All the great Creedence riffs were recorded in D standard and a lot of bands, including the Drive by Truckers tune to D standard all the time. In the studio I often track two rhythm guitar parts on one guitar in standard tuning and one in D standard together which makes a very thick rhythm part. It’s the opposite of using capo’s.