So I am new to this Craigslist thing.

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
And I have to say it's been odd, for example I posted a Les Paul on and almost instantly got offers and sold it for close to what wanted.Then I tried another ad with a Strat, do me a favor and look this ad and explain to me why no one has bothered msg me about for several days now.
What did I do wrong on this one that I didn't on the other?

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
Thanks for the input, I would have guessed the Strat would go before the Paul.

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
LOL I can not for the life of me sign up for Facebook, it keeps locking the account, then I had to upload a photo etc, and it's under review.
Strange how hard it is to sign up just so I can look at their market place.

rcole_sooner

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
I think it may be priced a little high for quick sale. A quick google shows lots of them in the $1,200 range. For quick sale I'd think one would need to undershoot the competition.

crawdaddy

Most Honored Senior Member
Feb 11, 2010
Valley o Sun
I think you might be optimistic in your pricing.....much smaller market when you sell local so you really can't expect the same return as Ebay or Reverb...plus the web sites offer financing...etc....

Here are a couple of recent completed sales from ebay...

Sold for $950...seller probably received a little less than $900 after fees...

Sold for $885....

Sold for $1023...

I would think in a local cash sale...between $900 and $1000 would be a great selling price...

Best of luck....

nickmsmith

Dr. Stratster
Jul 28, 2011
USA
I also think it’s the price. Everybody’s looking for a bargain. Ideal resale prices just don’t move things very quickly, locally. Unless the item is rare.

This is an excellent example of a Strat with a nice case. But to the unwashed masses, it’s just a Strat over 1,000 bucks.

My local craigslist is awful. A ghost town since the “career” gear flippers stopped posting.

stratosurf

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2018
Surf City, NY
Definitely price as a main factor. But also I think you need a couple more pics. There's two body pics, and because of the lighting one looks a bit yellower than the other. So the buyer isn't really sure which one is more accurate. Am I getting a more yellow guitar, or a more white one? You either need them to be more similar, or you need a third to kind of "break the tie" between them and give the buyer an idea of the actual color. IMHO!

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
Definitely price as a main factor. But also I think you need a couple more pics. There's two body pics, and because of the lighting one looks a bit yellower than the other. So the buyer isn't really sure which one is more accurate. Am I getting a more yellow guitar, or a more white one? You either need them to be more similar, or you need a third to kind of "break the tie" between them and give the buyer an idea of the actual color. IMHO!
Thats not a bad idea, I took them in the sunlight so the pics would be bright, I think that's why is more yellow than the other, the white back is the actual color.

stratosurf

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2018
Surf City, NY
Thats not a bad idea, I took them in the sunlight so the pics would be bright, I think that's why is more yellow than the other, the white back is the actual color.
Yeah, get rid of the yellow one. Make it look more like the color of the back pic, imo.

Morf2540

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 8, 2017
Wilmington, DE
I use CL all the time. Sometimes things sell right away, sometimes they take FOREVER. Sometimes you get your asking price, other times it is just crazy lowballers. It just depends on the coincidence of somebody who's interested in your specific item happening to see your ad. There's a huge random factor at play. I find that stuff sells much quicker and for much more money on Reverb, but you have to pay their 10% commission, plus deal with the pack/ship hassle. There's no clearcut best way to do it. Some people are happy to trade their stuff in to guitar Center and accept half what it's worth.

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
I use CL all the time. Sometimes things sell right away, sometimes they take FOREVER. Sometimes you get your asking price, other times it is just crazy lowballers. It just depends on the coincidence of somebody who's interested in your specific item happening to see your ad. There's a huge random factor at play. I find that stuff sells much quicker and for much more money on Reverb, but you have to pay their 10% commission, plus deal with the pack/ship hassle. There's no clearcut best way to do it. Some people are happy to trade their stuff in to guitar Center and accept half what it's worth.
So you think GC would give half of what that strat cost? I don't want more gear I want cash and some how I don't see GC doing that... maybe I'm wrong.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I’ve been a regular seller and buyer on the German equivalent of CL for about 8 years now. Sold over 200 different things, mainly guitars, Amps, basses, and other music stuff with the odd piece of furniture in between. My experience has been that the market is unpredictable… Even more now than ever before! I have been trying to sell my VM Squier for months without any luck, but a Harley Benton I put on there sold within a day. It’s just supply and demand I think :)

Morf2540

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 8, 2017
Wilmington, DE
So you think GC would give half of what that strat cost? I don't want more gear I want cash and some how I don't see GC doing that... maybe I'm wrong.
GC won't give you half of the new cost. They'll give you half (maybe 60%) of the USED value, meaning what they will sell it for. For a guitar that sells new for $1,000, they'll give you $350.

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
GC won't give you half of the new cost. They'll give you half (maybe 60%) of the USED value, meaning what they will sell it for. For a guitar that sells new for $1,000, they'll give you $350.
Yeah I figured, add that to my dislike of GC and it's a no.