So if you were going to build a parts Strat...

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by d801hme, Jun 22, 2020.

1. optofonik

optofonik Strat-Talker

Pick a combo that you don't already have in you guitar rack; don't duplicate anything you already have.

d801hme likes this.
  2. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

My four partscasters, all Fender necks with bodies/electronics from various sources.

1. Tele - Traditional pickup arrangement. I could easily get by with just this one.
    2. 2TSB Strat - SSS slightly hot pickups.
    3. Black Walnut Tele - P94 neck and Humbucker Bridge (great for Santana stuff)
    4. Strat - HSS. Mostly a backup if needed but the other guitars really cover it tonally for me.

Then there is the bass. Got it to use for recording and really enjoying having one and spend a lot of time with it really.
    5. Bass

I periodically think maybe I'll build another at some point, but pretty good chance I'm going to just ride the horses I already own. My only regret is not having had a traditional tele before.

d801hme likes this.
  3. chicago slim

chicago slim Senior Stratmaster

There are so many subtly different things that you can do with a Strat, just with wiring. Then you can get deeper into things, with different pickups and body woods. I once rewired a guitar, to do things requested by a recording artist. Once I was no longer playing for him, I reconfigured the guitar and sold it. But, I was surprised just how unique, you can make a guitar.

Currently, I have 3 Strat's with the Grease Bucket Circuitry, for live shows. I don't know that it's the best overall sound. But, it's worth it for the live flexibility, that it gives. I have other, more traditional Strat's for practice, alternate tuning, etc.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    d801hme likes this.
  4. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

This has been fun:

[​IMG]

TV Jones Classics (Classic+ in the bridge). Superswitch gives me the neck / bridge in the 3 position and position-specific assignment of tone controls (including no tone controls on 2 and 4 ala Scott Henderson).

Still deciding on a color.

Groovey, chicago slim and d801hme like this.
  5. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Me?... 22 super jumbo frets..Wizard profile...ebony fret board..lots of flame..abalone inlay...Oly white...SSS

d801hme likes this.
  6. davidrconnell

davidrconnell Strat-Talk Member Silver Member

Don't know if this qualifies as a "parts Strat" but I've definitely changed a lot of my original MK signature strat . After 2019 IMG_2032.JPG

MyToyBrain, Groovey and d801hme like this.
  7. Wayfinder

Wayfinder Strat-Talker

I'm admittedly biased on this, but the pickup I put on my Strat was a FlatCat. I do love the rich "Delta Swamp" sound.

Next to that I like the metal-top Tele single pickup. It has a unique sound I've not found in other pickups. I'd put that at either the neck or mid position.

I enjoy dual rails. An odd mixture of humbucker and single, the tone is again unique. Almost always middle position.

For the bridge I don't care as I hardy ever use the bridge pickup (not my style of music). But I tend to go with a heavy humbucker. Could use a dual rail at the bridge.

I've been tempted to try the Lace Alumitone, but I've read mixed reviews and shelling out $125 "just to see" isn't my thing. ; )

d801hme likes this.
  8. Psyline

Psyline New Member!

901FEDD7-C213-4493-9ADC-26F1E8503340.jpeg 901FEDD7-C213-4493-9ADC-26F1E8503340.jpeg
    Yup, you beat me to it. 3 toggles are the way to go. Love my HSS. Rear toggle is a 3-way.

d801hme likes this.
  9. elbicho

elbicho New Member!

10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

I was thinking it would be fun to build a stripped down super strat with a single bridge humbucker and one volume control ala EVH.

d801hme likes this.
  11. voskarp

voskarp Strat-Talk Member

I've been thinking about a FilterTron bridge pickup and DynaSonic or HiLoTrons in middle and neck position.

d801hme likes this.
  12. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

this setup works OK.. prolly not the best, but definitely not the worst.. the 21k in the bridge is fairly hot, for its time, the 12's are mild but oh so smooth.. this guitar wakes an amp right up..

Attached Files:

d801hme likes this.
  13. andiemac

andiemac Strat-Talk Member

Buy a loaded pickguard from Vintage Vibe Guitars with the 5-way switch which are simply inspiring, Pete Biltoft is a genius! You can check out my Parts Strat in my latest post...

Nick-O and d801hme like this.
  14. Greg_Delta

Greg_Delta Strat-Talk Member

I've been an HH Fender guy for a few years now. My next build/guitar is gonna be an HH strat and my main these days is an HH strat

d801hme likes this.
  15. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Since you already have regular Strats, I'd vote for a Strat with a pair of true Firebird pickups in it. I put one in a Tele of mine, neck position

[​IMG]

and was so blown away by the tone, that I decided to put a pair in one of my ES-339s.

[​IMG]

Fantastic results!

I also installed a pair of HS Filter'trons in one of my Strats, and love that too!
    [​IMG]

Once you have your basics covered, I'm a firm believer in modding to other excellent pickup combinations.

Other VERY impressive options include TV Jones TV-HT Hilo'trons and T-Armonds - I have these installed in a Gibson ES-339 and an ES-Les Paul. Again, fantastic tones!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never hesitate to replace Bah humcluckers with pickups having more sparkle and articulate, detailed clarity.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

That just might be crazy enough to work. :D

d801hme and Tsjackson like this.
  17. adrianb

adrianb Strat-Talk Member

I like the look of those switches. Are they on/on/on DPDT? Can i please get a link to where you bought them?

18. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I went for lipsticks when I built mine.

IMG_20200624_210655.jpg IMG_20200624_210802.jpg

MrNeutron, chicago slim and d801hme like this.
  19. 63reverse

63reverse Strat-Talk Member

I can only suggest that getting some of the custom made pu's, like "67" re-issues can be soooo damn noisy. Also, p-90's were a single wound for a fat Gibson. I've never had an internally boosted pu, so there is a lot I do not know. My oldest still has a 3 way switch and does not have the same hollow tone you can get with any Strat that has a 5 way switch.

d801hme likes this.
  20. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I bought a loaded Blackmore guard from the Stratosphere for my Oly white CIJ ST72 so found myself with a leftover loaded guard. What to do?

Buy a 60s replacement body on offer at the time, road worn bridge and jack and "F' tuners and plate to go along with it and get it all shipped together when the exchange rate looked up a little.

I'm currently waiting for my Musikraft neck to complete it all .... a tribute to Ritchie's 4 bolt '71. Best use I could think of for a set of pups from a '72 tribute.

d801hme likes this.