Join Strat-Talk Today

So tone...

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Cerb, Aug 15, 2019.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

You set the parameters on one plugin and send the five tracks to it, rather than setting five plugins the same way. The goal is to get the tracks in the same "room". In different parts of the room (front to back, side to side), but in the same room.

And...it saves resources for plugins that are specific to individual tracks. Global effects....put them on a buss. Especially memory hogs like ambience plugins.

There's no magic. But there is the magician. You know...experience. ;)

2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Makes sense. This is analogous to the PA setup I used in my duo. I have a rack reverb unit connected to one of the sends. One reverb unit allows reverb to be used on all channels on the mixer.

Cerb and fezz parka like this.
  3. BallisticSquid

I appreciate the sharing of knowledge and experience. This is cool stuff.

Cerb and fezz parka like this.
  4. fezz parka

Recording and mixing is a big can of worms. Then there's mastering. LOL

5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

But highly fascinating.

I never bought the L1 but their site has this: https://www.waves.com/tips-for-mastering-your-own-mixes

"Never master your song in the mix session! Read this 10 times over, or as many times as it takes to get you into the habit of exporting your final mix into a brand new session."

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. BallisticSquid

When a song I recorded in my basement was included in a compilation, all of the songs were mastered by a pro helping out with the project. I had struggled to get the bass to decent and figured I failed in that regard with the mix. When the mastered songs came out, I was amazed at how he brought the bass out and he was only working with my 2 channel downmmix!

Any recommended resources that define what the tasks and goals of the mixing stage and the tasks and goal of the mastering stage? My sense is a lot of this is blurred these days. The article above talked about leaving out compression on the master buss when mixing...any other nuggets like that?

Cerb likes this.
  7. Cerb

Yes, I found a bunch on both mixing and mastering. A word of causion though; articles and yout00b clips usually start off by saying something like "There is a lot of bad information out there but I'll show you the correct way of doing this". Very seldom is the "correct" way the same between two articles :)

Listen to the track that @fezz parka did above and compare it to mine. He only had my poorly mixed backing track and my guitar track to work with. His results are quite impressing.

I found a lot of good stuff in this on mixing:
    https://modernmixing.com/how-to-mix-music/

He also touches on mastering.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. fezz parka

Everyone does things their own way.

The pre-master mixdown should not be above -0.6. It should be clear and how you want it to sound in the sound field.

Mastering these days is simple: make it loud, clear EQ wise and consistent if you're doing an album type release.

Back in the day, you'd have master eq'd for the large at 45 rpm and masters for 33 rpm.

These days...CD and mp3.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    BallisticSquid and Cerb like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Ummmmm, I know this will be a big shock..... I have questions.

As is known, I love dirty sounding stuff. May be partly due to my jacked up ears but the fact that there is some out there tends to indicate that I am not the only one. I like saturation/distortion/mayhem/bull****. I also like things a bit more "squished" than some. Folks talk about "glue" for me the main glue I hear is a good squishing.

I, with my limited knowledge, skills can't get a mix to sound the way I want, but I can approach what I want to hear if it is HAM (Half Assed Mastered), so when it comes to saturation and squishing, someone like me that wants a lot of crap and noise, am I supposed to be able to get a mix sounding the way I like and count on mastering just to finalize a great eq and louderize? Or should some of that mayhem be occurring in the mastering?

Cerb likes this.
  10. fezz parka

Yes. But...it's possible to over do it in the pre-master so that dynamics have been wrung out of it. So expect the mastering to push that squish to where its dynamic, but has the squish you want. My mix and master of Clothes does this.

Cerb likes this.
  11. Cerb

I like the turn this thread took. It's been both fun and educational :)

BallisticSquid likes this.
  12. Cerb

I was thinking about this while walking to the train station. The center stuff is normally kept in the center, no panning so it is equally strong in the left and right channels, right? Can you make it feel even more in the middle, like front and center? Boost upper mids to bring it front and cut them to bring it back?

Kind of like this:

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

...and as fezz suggests, you can move it to FRONT by using less reverb on what you want to be in front.

Andrew Wasson, fezz parka and Cerb like this.
  14. Cerb

Yes, I tried using different amounts of reverb and it works but listen to the yout00b video. It sounds like frequencies are also manipulated to give an illusion of depth. Higher frequencies dampen quicker, right?

15. fezz parka

Right on front = no ambience.
    Compress to make it sit firmly and noticeably.

Andrew Wasson and Cerb like this.
  16. fezz parka

That thing has tons of panning and ambience... both with room emulation, reverb and delay.

Automation to push the stuff to the back and back to the front very quickly. Then there's the eq and compression. Be interesting to hear it in 8.1. But in stereo...LCR...it just sounds like panning and ambience. :)

Cerb likes this.
  17. Cerb

One of the articles I read mentioned (and raved about) the Hornet SW34EQ. I found it on sale for $9-ish and bought it. It does some really nice things and I've been fooling around with it. Together with what I learned from this thread I managed to achieve a really good recorded (with miced amp) clean tone yesterday, which was what I originally started the thread for. It sat really well in the mix recorded over a backing track of Knocking on Heaven's door that included vocals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.