Join Strat-Talk Today

So what is your musical background?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Heavyriff, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-Talker

I know I am new here but I thought I might ask. What is your musical background. I got involved with music in like the 3rd. Grade when I took up playing trumpet. I was taught how to play an instrument. How to read music. Music theory. I played the trumpet until i graduated high school. I also took an interest in the bass. Took drum lessons. And then after teaching myself bass taught myself how to play guitar.

2. IsaiasO

IsaiasO Strat-Talker

• Catholic Grade School Choir
    • Accordion Lessons (WTF!)
    • Guitar Lessons (Better than accordion, but I don't want to learn how to read and play Camp Town Races)
    • Self-taught to listen and pick up guitar parts from records...yes, RECORDS!
    • Brothers (bass and drums) & I form our own band rattling the picture windows, upstairs, from the basement, every chance we got. Banned by parents, we took the practices to the hall at the Catholic school) Guitar: Some cheap Japanese thing
    • Brother (bass) and I start playing at Catholic Folk Mass.
    • I started playing in high school "folk" band.
    • Brothers and I start playing with others in our area---jam sessions outside. Guitar: Epiphone
    • I "sit in" on other jam sessions in the area.
    • Go into the US Army after high school and found four other like-minded GIs. We start a band, practiced in the base rec center whenever we could get the equipment. Went on leave to Maryland and fetched my Epiphone.
    • Army band played base EM Club, German fests and German high schools.
    • Out of US Army; purchased a Les Paul Deluxe; moved to Washington State. "Sat in" with Country and Western bands, periodically. Practiced in Army drummer's parents' basement.
    • Got married; got divorced---dry period--of about 5 years. Sold my Les Paul Deluxe and effects pedals and bought a computer; moved back to Maryland.
    • Played in cover bands on and off. (guitar: Jackson Soloist---computer knowledge paid off)
    • 25+ year dry spell.
    • Purchased a Strat and started playing "for fun" in November of 2018; playing "for fun" and recording in 2019.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    shovelmike, fretter, Cerb and 4 others like this.
  3. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-O-Master

My musical background is pretty much the same as yours. I learned trumpet from the 3rd grade and stuck with it throughout high-school. I took 2 semesters of music theory in university as well as a beginning piano class. I taught myself how to play guitar by ear. I began when I was 14, but I never reached a level of proficiency much above mediocre. It wasn't until a few years ago that I started to apply theory to my playing through a series of instructional videos. I guess I've improved a bit because of that effort, but it seems like the more I learn, the less I feel I know.

4. IsaiasO

IsaiasO Strat-Talker

Believe me when I say, that feeling will not go away, unless you're Joe Satriani or Steve Vai or someone else of that caliber.

5. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Started official music with a trombone in the fifth grade.
    Quickly swiched to sax, which i played till i got my first guitar at 14.
    Went through high school taking lessons when i could and playing in garage bands.
    Got in college at 17 majoring in music.
    Left college, moved to atlanta, and studied under jimmy herring and others for a very intense year.
    Been jammin since.
    Mostly in rock and blues bands.
    Im in a red dirt band now, and im lovin it.

6. heltershelton

Even those guys dont know it all....and they know they will never know it all. The numbers never stop.

7. MapleBoard

MapleBoard Strat-Talk Member

I started playing the cello in 5th grade and sang in the school choir. Then switched to the double bass in 7th grade. I played in local and school symphonies from then on. I started college as a Music major and did that for 2 years. The guitar has always been on the side as my fun instrument. The Strat has been my favorite guitar since I saw it in the 5th grade. Finally got my first one about a year ago!

BallisticSquid, Cerb and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I was born a middle kid to a large family.. Mom wasn't around so my dad hired a nanny from the local convent. She taught us all to sing and about the notes and stuff. She made our clothes for us and took us on picnics and stuff. My dad got super mad when we all fell out of the boat one time when he was trying to impress this woman he dragged home. But in the end it all worked out because the nanny and my dad fell in love and got married. Then we went on a long mountain hike or something because the cops were after us or something like that..

Oh wait..

9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Started in 3rd grade on guitar. Chorus in high school. Discovered girls where more fun than guitars. Then life happened. 30 some years later restarting on guitar. At 30.1 years I realized how much I forgot. I hate being a newbie again.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Cerb and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

i played the clarinet in band in middle school.
    i switched to electric bass at 14, then to guitar at 17.
    Went to uni as a dual major (jazz guitar performance/audio engineering).
    Worked in various bands, rock and funk stuff mostly, then a did jazz duo thing
    with a soprano sax for awhile.
    Nowadays i'm mostly just doing recordings as a solo artist playing 8 string guitar and fretted and fretless bass,
    and drum programming... ambient prog/triphop/neofusion.
    Links to my stuff below:

11. heltershelton

I was a marching band geek. so for me, guitars brought the girls. im still a geek, too. video games, rubiks cubes.….geek stuff. but never dungeons and dragons. I didn't take my geekiness that far, lol.

BallisticSquid, Nate D, Cerb and 3 others like this.
  12. heltershelton

er mer gerd….I forgot about the clarinet thing. when I told my family I wanted to switch to the sax, they didn't have the money to get one, but they did have an old clarinet. so I actually played that till I got the sax. they are a lot alike.

BallisticSquid, Nate D, Cerb and 2 others like this.
  13. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Clarinet is tougher because of the different fingerings when you switch registers, but the mechanics of embouchure and tongueing are basically the same, yeah.
    Still, unless you're Benny Goodman, Lester Young, or a classical virtuoso, it's usually best if one forgets about the clarinet thing...
    this is especailly true if you're a nerdy middle school girl with glasses and braces, LOL.
    Bass is so much cooler.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  14. Strats4me

Strats4me Senior Stratmaster

discovered AC/DC in 9th grade, 1980

Brian Krashpad, Cerb and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

Took piano lessons for a brief period when I was in elementary school. Played snare drum for a year in middle school. A few years later I started learning guitar. A year later I played cymbals for a year in the marching band in high school. Took piano lessons again for a little bit years later. Been playing guitar ever since I started though. I’m not a music expert and don’t claim to be. I’m a learner in music, and I’m just a guy trying to do my best in music and in life.

BallisticSquid, Cerb and abnormaltoy like this.
  16. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

;)

BallisticSquid and CigBurn like this.
  17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have no musical background....
    Yet
    I wake every morning singing...

18. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

What I don't know could fill books...and does.

I started playing bass for a few months, I figured guitar would be more fun.

I've never had lessons, never played anything in a school band.

I'm not really sure how to tell what key a song is in, I learned off Beatles (or what ever band) song books with chord diagrams. On those occasions when I can't just sit down and get the song by ear or can't figure out a chord, I look it up online.

After PMing with a friend on here...I ordered a theory book. If all goes well, I may try to find a local teacher. But, I may try some singing lessons instead...who knows.

19. heltershelton

well, I was a nerdy middle school boy with glasses.....so touche, or however you spell it. and I did forget about it, until you reminded me. so thanks. thanks a lot.:sneaky:

20. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I got a Mel Bay book and learned that, and how to tune.

35xd6i.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.