So what's on your workbench now.

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Being off work for a few weeks and healing this knee again I have a little more time than usual.
    Yesterday, I pulled my mid-eighties Contemporary Series Strat iff the wall and did a dressed the fret ends. It was the first guitar that I had ever refretted. Due to 30 years of use the fretboard had already been worn in (naturally rolled) which made the ends a trick for a novice so they ended up feeling like a saw blade. Though I was proud of myself for the job, I was proud in private until yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    Today, I am working on getting the Kahler Spyder set in place on my 80's Kramer. It requires some extra routing of the bridge recess.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Jesse414, EAllen, Brutus and 7 others like this.
  2. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

That natural finish is original on an MIJ Squier? E series serial#?

That is beautiful. You've kept it in excellent shape for having played it so much to have required a refret.

The build quality looks excellent. I guess only the electrical/pickups were not top end in Squier vs. Fender at that time?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Next in line is this.

sFamos.jpg

Got to pull the frets and plane the board. Then decide what to do next.

4. Believer7713

No the guitar was originally a blondie. I got it as a basket case about 5 years ago and the paint had already been stripped. I was going to refin it back to original but I liked the grain pattern enough to just finish it in natural polyurethane.
    You can see the original paint in the back cavity here.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

I'm waiting for it to get over 40° outside so that the garage can get a little warmer than that.

This is a newer Fender parlor guitar. Ebony fretboard and saddle, mahogany neck, bone nut and saddle, solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, Fishman electronics.

I got it very very cheap because it was dropped on its endpin and the tail block, lower body edge and kerfing came unglued from the top. The first picture doesn't show how bad it really was... You could push on the bottom and easily get 3-4mm separation.

I had to custom make a clamp system that put lengthwise pressure inside the body specifically shaped to the guitar's bottom side. Hide glue flowed beautifully using the Erlewine suction cup trick. You can see how well in the interior shot.

Some stain, paint and super glue leveled out and blended the finish damage.

Now I just need to sand, shellac, sand and spray just the sides with clear lacquer.

It sounded incredible BEFORE the repair, I can't wait to get it back together.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Strat-Talker

Did you need any grain filler? What kind of wood do you suspect it to be? It's missing typical Alder or Ash clues.

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

I just finished this Squiercaster. White SE body, '89 Squier II E series neck. Fender MIM bridge, new pots and switch, Graphtech nut and string trees. I got a good deal on a set of Tonerider Rebel 90s so I modded the body to accommodate. I'm not sure what I think about the p'ups.

008.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG

8. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

My computer.

Jesse414, s5tuart and Believer7713 like this.
  9. Believer7713

No grain fillers at all. I used the poly to do that by putting 5 or 6 coats on it and letting it fill up the grain before sanding it smooth. Then about another 8 or 9 coats with sanding and steel wool on each coat. I went all old school on it.
    I think the wood is Sen Ash since it is so much different than either of my other Ash body strats and doesn't look like any alder or poplar that I have ever worked with.
    You mentioned the electronics earlier too. I still have the original pots which were full sized pots by Alpha electronics. The original p'ups were ceramic magnet, which was normal for most guitars coming out of Japan at the time. Now it has CTS pots with a Switchcraft jack, a set of Alexander Pribora Hot Customs pickups, Oak-Grigsby 5 way switch and all pushback gavit wiring.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    jfgesquire likes this.
  10. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

i just finished this up this lap steel for a friend. I have no idea who made it. The bone nut was broken and I wanted to keep it as original as possible so I bought a bone blank. This was my first attempt at making a nut. I needed to remove a lot of material and don't have all of the proper tools but I think it came out pretty well.

001.JPG 003.JPG 007.JPG 005.JPG 001.JPG

11. Believer7713

The SE is s very formidable mod platform for sure. As does the Starcaster by Fender that was made in the same plant. I've worked with both many tines and they are fun to experiment with.
    If your's had a rosewood board it would look a lot more like my Contemporary HH active
    [​IMG]
    I didn't care for the Squier p'ups so I swapped them out for an EMG 85(b) 89(n). Also added a Hipshot Tremsetter. Just did the first winter fret sprout removal last week too.

Randy_Lahey and JohnMac like this.
  12. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

I've got a couple of projects on the go at the moment. Firstly I'm trying to fix up my Legend, which will soon look a bit like this:

image.jpeg

Unfortunately I don't have a P90 to put in it (I didn't like the pickups in the photo, which came with the pickguard), so I'm going to try and get an Iron Gear Alchemist 90 for it, and use the original ceramic neck and middle pickups.

I'm also trying to sort out my brothers Jackson RR so he can sell it, but I can't do anything until I have the right socket wrench for the truss rod.

In hindsight, I should probably wait until I have all the necessary parts and tools before I start a project!

MartinoTJ, EAllen and Believer7713 like this.
  13. Believer7713

The truss rod bolts on most Jacksons are 7mm bolt head. Any 6 or 12 point 7mm 1/4 inch drive socket will do the trick.

14. Believer7713

Got the routing done in the Kramer 615 for the Kahler Spyder. Used some blue painters tape as a guide and then set up the precision router attachment on the Dremel and took my time with some free hand work. Then used a little paint from the last strat build to touch up the line that would be visible and bare.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As far as color goes it's actually a pretty close match.
    Plus it had a nick on it so I touched it up too and reassembled the guitar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This bridge is taller than the original Floyd so I am going to make a shim for the neck to lower the action to make it a little more playable for me.

15. s5tuart

s5tuart Perfecting time travel since 2525 Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow! You guys do some great work way beyond my skill level.
    The best I got today was putting a new pedal on my 4 pedal board.
    Swapped out an old overdrive I was given for a TomsLine Dumbler pedal.
    Over the moon with the resulting sound!

Jesse414 and Believer7713 like this.
  16. Heavyriff

Heavyriff Strat-O-Master

I put a new set of Elixir Nanowebs and conditioned the fretboard on my Acoustic last night. Does that count?
    IMG_20200122_170705_hdr.jpg

17. Believer7713

It does. [emoji106][emoji450][emoji445][emoji444]

s5tuart likes this.
  18. Believer7713

So I finally got this guitar setup completely done. Like I stated earlier I needed to shim the neck so I used @simoncroft's homemade shim tip and made one by layering tape and tapering the layers to make a full contact shim so there is no chance of being asked to make a ramp for the Olympics. LOL.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Place the shim, trim to fit perfectly then set the action and, in this case ad some neck releief.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The action on this thing is as close to sea level as you could ask for too.

longknives, Neilybob, s5tuart and 2 others like this.
  19. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. Believer7713

If I were in the market for a Lester I would. I just can't get along with them though. I definitely like the 25 1/2" guitars better. Plus I love the 80's so now i may have to get a sewing machine and a couple bolts of neon spandex as a project for my work bench.[emoji41]

Randy_Lahey and ZlurkCorzDog like this.