So what's on your workbench now.

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Jan 22, 2020.

1. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

Speaking of workbenches, in the not too distant future I will be setting up my workbench in my new apartment. it will be taking over the duties of my now deceased music room computer hutch and doing double duty as a workbench. The really cool part is the unit is height adjustable so I can sit to do recording and mixing stuff and stand to do work on guitars. Plus the thing is on wheels so moving it on the carpet is possible, something that lead to the demise of the aft-mentioned computer hutch. For all the weight that thing had it was about as strong as moist popcorn.

roadhog96 and Believer7713 like this.
  2. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

I could use a bench like that, were can I find one I’m tired of sitting to low at a table. How big is it?

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

52" long by 24" deep and it extends from 29" to 42 inches" and it's on wheels (that have locks). Basic Husky from Home Depot. No idea of the quality yet since I haven't even opened the box yet. I got to work on the house to get it ready to list so it will be a week to 10 days before I can go back to the workbench

4. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

Just finished resawing some burl I am contemplating using as a top with live edge in the middle with black epoxy in between the pieces.

Then there is what happens when heavy spaulting is saturated with CA and the heat begins to boil the moisture along with the joyous CA fumes. A real respirator and exhaust fan running strong process.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    ZlurkCorzDog, JB74 and Believer7713 like this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Dude!! You do such amazing work. I am hoping to start getting my shop set up to do more with it. I want to start cutting my own bodies and necks within the next year but still need to get some better equipment in order to do so accurately. Right now I am more of a customizing/mod shop but really want to get into some of the stuff that you are doing for sure.

EAllen likes this.
  6. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

7. roadhog96

Ha ha I saw that one in HD a coulpe years ago, they no longer carry it in the store, its online only. It was well made and heavy as heck and it went up and down quick and smooth, I tried it. It did have steel casters. The only thing that bothered me about it was when you cranked it up or down theres a little play between the leg and leg extension so it wobbles a little as you opperate it. I was affraid that it might wobble while I am working on it if you push or lean on it. But I guess you could always slip a small wedge in the opening between the leg and leg extension to stabilize it and remove it I you need to change the hieght. Had to do the same thing on a weight bench seat were the two box tubing pipes fitted inside one another so the hieght could be adjusted. Use to wiggle and drove me nuts but the wedge stopped it.
    You can see it wiggle in the video on HD Online web page when the guy operates it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  8. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-Talker

thanks for the tip about the wedge.

9. Believer7713

I got a Vox speaker from @pierce for my Marshall DSL401from the pay it forward thread. There really wasn't anything wrong with the speaker that was in it but it always was a bit anemic sounding so I've been wanting to try something different for quite a while now.
    It showed up today and it was a quick swap and since Mrs. Believer is working in the office at the hospital instead of home I got to fire it up and cook the tubes a bit. The nice thing is that I was expecting an 8 ohm speaker and it is actually 16 ohm like the one I took out. No changing the output impedance...woohoo!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

10. pierce

pierce Strat-Talker

That was quick!

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Believer7713

It was!!! This thing sounds way better than the original too. Right now I really can't hear much after lighting that amp up for the last hour and a half...with the exception of my last post. LOL

12. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

Progress is being made, parts are arriving daily... redstrat.jpg

JB74, EAllen, Norrin Radd and 2 others like this.
  13. longboard blues

longboard blues Senior Stratmaster

and more progress - bone nut, bridge mounted, frets dressed, fingerboard edges rolled... locking vintage tuners and string tree on...

waiting for the postie to bring shielding tape, and a set of Bootstrap pickups, and i'll finish it off. Feels lovely as is though - and with the empty pickguard over the routes, is decently audible acoustically. str2.jpg strattttt.jpg

14. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

a 20A 0-270Vac Variac.
    IMG_9220.jpeg

I've pulled the case off, as it was horribly crusty rusty under the powder coating. There's evidence of brush arcing on the toroid (see the scorchmark in the winding at about 1900). Have new carbon and the toroid has been stoned flat.

A general cleanup and I'll respray the case and make some changes. The P.O. has made some butchery with the GPO and associated wiring. I will probably replace the GPO box with a new earthed/isolated outlet pair and new meters and RCD.

It's big, bulky and weighs in at about 28kg (about 62lbs for the metrically challenged).

Should keep me occupied for the next few days.

15. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Strat-Talker

I see boards and I see a slab. SO, no veneer necks in your future? :oops:

JB74 and Believer7713 like this.
  16. roadhog96

maybe this might help,

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Strat-Talker

Currently on the bench. Just assembled and wired this guy together. Waiting on a cheap Chinese neck to get here in the mail (for $47, I figured, what the hell?). If that neck is junk, I'll save up and get a Musikraft again (or steal one form my other Partscasters!)

[​IMG]

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Senior Stratmaster

If I got another slab, I could use it as a veneer press...

Shop is progressing! 20200215_102812.jpg 20200215_102746.jpg

Believer7713 likes this.
  19. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Strat-Talker

trapdoor2 likes this.
  20. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

No need. Once the toroid was stoned flat the pitting/scoring was removed. I've also re-plated it (silver) which also makes the surface more resistant to corrosion oxides as well so the carbon does not get chewed up as much by varying surface or micro-arcing on the toroid. Deoxit is not effective on the alloy in this toroid, and all that is generally required to maintain one is to clean carbon tracks off with isopropyl and a microfibre cloth. In fact, doing what I did removes the hard silver surface and exposes bare copper alloy, which again is not ideal, and why the toroid surface needed replating after being stone polished. Again, stoning was necessary to flatten the surface and remove pitting, which deoxit cannot do.

This is less of an issue on a little benchtop variac supply. Those things are lucky to be more than rated above 3 amps in most cases, and arcing is usually only a factor when the brush is made from ****e carbon. So unless the variac is getting used heavily every day with dozens of cycles, cleaning is likely to be a less-than-annual affair.
    This variac is rated at 270Vac 20A continuous, which means a lot of heat and a lot of current - and the potential for a lot of arcing while moving the carbon across the toroid. It's also a very high quality carbon wiper, and luckily there was a spare in the unit. With a peak current of 28A it's also a seriously life threatening device if one is not careful.
    It also took almost 25 years for this to occur on this unit, and it was used in a lab for commercial refrigeration unit design and testing for a global carbonated beverage manufacturer (starting with a big C).

So it's not what you'd call a "routine" type of service or maintenance or repair. In fact it's only the second time I've had to overhaul a variac in my working life. This thing was never ever serviced in it's life, not even cleaned, wiper was never replaced...
    The design of this unit is actually superb and over-engineered, which is something that is to be respected these days. Company is Green Dot / Dimmer Dot (New Dehli) and being based on the subcontinent, they obviously know a thing or three about engineering reliable products tolerable of ****ty power supply sources. ;). way better than the chinesium stuff.

roadhog96 likes this.