Soldering tips & tricks?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wound_Up, Feb 18, 2021.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Thanks. Ive got a couple projects to do. Hopefully that Kester stuff is available in CA.

StratoMutt likes this.
  2. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Senior Stratmaster

A mostly good video except she mentions RoHS solder (lead free). It is hard to work with.

3. StratoMutt

Amazon usually has it.

4. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two Platinum Supporting Member

'Class... that's all we have time for today. The 1st aid class needs the room to teach how to care for 3rd degree burns.'

And Mouser and Digi-key but CA has strict substance laws but I would not think this common solder would be not allowed considering the electronics industry that is there.

While I can't answer the CA question, there is a bewildering variety. Kester 44 is the series wire solder on a 1lb spool. I am not sure what type of flux core is best. But I did get the list down to about 10 choices.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    amstratnut and StratoMutt like this.
  5. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

You're burning up tips?
    Is your heat setting adjustable? If so, it should only be as hot as is needed for the job.
    If you use the sponge to clean the tip between joints, obviously make sure it's good and wet.

I have had the same tip on my iron for several years. I do a metric sh!+ ton of soldering, so..... you're doing something that is killing the tip.

Probably too much heat, if I had to guess

6. StratoMutt

LOLSpinGreen.gif

7. StratoMutt

Agreed.

rocknrollrich likes this.
  8. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Strat-Talker

Some learning requires only one lesson. If someone switches that thing on, she’ll be an instant expert in holding a soldering iron.

StratoMutt likes this.
  9. glitchathon

glitchathon Strat-Talk Member

Yep, I have had a Weller WLC100 station for at least 15 years and have done a ton of soldering. Countless pedals and guitar rewirings. And I'm still on the original tip that came with the station. I have a smaller tip for PCB's, but the larger tip that came with the station is still going strong.

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Senior Stratmaster

Picked up some Kester 63/37 Flux core solder & a can of tip tinner just because. It was $2.49 so why not.

Now to wait on them to get here. Thank God they're coming from Amazon so I won't have to wait two weeks for the USPS to bring it.

I ordered that SD pickup on the 14th or something and it's moved 9 miles in 5 days with the USPS. Yes, I know. The weather. I suspect it would still be there if there wasn't any lol. USPS is SLOW.

Amazon will likely be here tomorrow or the next day. From the same area in Texas, around Carrollton, TX

StratoMutt likes this.
  11. Wound_Up

That's what I don't get. I can solder fine without it. I guess I need to practice and mess with the dial. After the first screwdriver tip, smaller than the large chisel tip, I tried again with less heat and it still did it. I suspect I just need to find the correct setting to use.

I just assumed cranked to max would be OK since plugging straight into a wall outlet gets you max power and I never had any issues soldering that way.

12. Wound_Up

That's what I was beginning to think. It may be lead-free. I've got some good stuff coming so that won't be an issue any longer.

Bob the builder and StratoMutt like this.
  13. Wound_Up

Sorry for all the back-to-back replies earlier. I'm a bit under the weather the last couple of days.

Last question. Anybody use the silver bearing solder? I believe that's what it's called. 62/36/2? Looks like I'll have to run to Lowes now that everything is back open and get some 63/37. It seems that in my stupor yesterday, I ordered the silver stuff.

Not sure what got me so sick but I noticed I was exhausted when I got home from running errands yesterday afteenoon. After I ordered that, I fell asleep and woke up around 6pm and lost my lunch around 610. I felt so, so bad. Still feeling pretty crappy with no energy. No fever or anything so I have no clue what it could be.

14. StratoMutt

Kester 44 or nothing. While silver is an excellent conductor, 60/40 or 63/37 has been the standard for a lot of years.

I'd hope 62/36/2 has quality flux in the core. The "silver solder" that I have seen is lead free - and it sucks...

15. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I can't believe I'm saying this...
    Hope it's just the flu...
    You know what I mean

16. glitchathon

glitchathon Strat-Talk Member

I usually set mine to max when I'm doing guitar cables, and it does just fine left at 5 for a half hour or so. When I am doing switches, potentiometers, and other lugs, I generally set it to 4. When I am doing PCB's, I usually set it to about 3.

I am using Kessler "44" rosin core with it, and have stuck with the same soldering brand for 15 years.

I use flux paste occasionally for guitar cables and input jacks that are being stubborn, usually because I have a lot of leads connected to it.

I generally just clean the tip on the sponge and retin it with new solder.

Wound_Up likes this.
  17. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

My soldering went from horrific to near perfect, once I got a Hakko station, with the sensor, which tells you what the temperature of the tip is.

Go figure...

Wound_Up and Bowmap like this.
  18. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-Talker

A little fan to move the solder smoke away from you

Dibbs likes this.
  19. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Great info everyone

20. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

Always be sure you know where the iron/gun is once you've plugged it in/turned it on.
    :p

Boognish, StratUp, RobZ69 and 2 others like this.