Solid rosewood necks

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by SonOfLerome, Oct 8, 2021.

1. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

Alright, so, have a custom solid rosewood neck being built.

I’m curious on how finishing these works?
    I already know that I want it finished in nitro, but I find it interesting how sometimes they do have a gloss over them, and sometimes people leave it with no finish.
    Obviously you lose the porous feel of the RW when it’s finished, but are there any other downsides? And if there were, why does Fender CS finish their necks?
    upload_2021-10-8_10-57-0.jpeg
    Vs
    upload_2021-10-8_10-57-58.png V

2. CattleDog73

CattleDog73 Strat-Talker

Rosewood is an oily wood - you would want to research finishes first as most (nitro, etc.) may not stick. I would leave it unfinished, feels amazing and requires minimal maintenance.

3. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Senior Stratmaster

I made one once and finished it with a couple of very thin wipes of OSMO oil, it’s excellent stuff that protects the wood but doesn’t smother it and makes any character in the grain really pop.As mentioned above rosewood is naturally very oily so some finishes don’t sit well on it.

you could initially leave it ‘raw’ to see if you like it or not before burying it in lacquer.

I imagine custom shop all rosewood necks if they are fully finished in nitro is because

a. Someone is paying good money to have a custom guitar made and if they want the neck finished in nitro then that’s what they will get

and b because they presumably have enough experience with finishing rosewood to have mastered the prep of the wood prior to finish or a mix of nitro to cope with the potentially oily timber or uv drying or similar.

I also believe but could be wrong that Brazilian rosewood was very naturally oily, Indian rosewood isn’t as much so isn’t that big of an issue. Perhaps

F1CC2F6C-B3A0-4AF0-95B8-ED8BAE4E0BFF.jpeg

jpmist, jofish and SonOfLerome like this.
  4. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-O-Master

Mine is raw and I love it. Feels a lot different. Soft might be a word to describe it. Not sure.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  5. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

+1 on leaving it raw. Its a lovely wood that sands very smooth and needs no maintenance. Just play....

SonOfLerome likes this.
  6. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

It’s a tough one, raw necks feel great. However with this one knowing that it’s going to be paired with a superb white blonde body I’d get the neck polished to a high gloss.

SonOfLerome likes this.
  7. dreamingstrat

dreamingstrat Strat-Talker

SonOfLerome and StratMike10 like this.
  8. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I like mine raw also, however the thing about RW being too oily to finish is a myth.

SonOfLerome and nickmsmith like this.
  9. bigreen505

bigreen505 Strat-Talk Member

Have you ever seen an acoustic guitar that was finished? Yeah, all of them are.

SonOfLerome and nickmsmith like this.