Join Strat-Talk Today

Solid RW Neck Finish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by GunMonkeyINTL, May 15, 2019.

1. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

I’ve got the AmPro rosewood neck Tele, and the matching Strat on the way. I decided I wanted to do some wet-sanding on the back of the Tele’s neck, so I wrote them to find out what sort of oil/finish they used on them.

Their response was that it is an oil-based gel poly.

There is definitely something on the walnut skunk stripe, but it doesn’t look like it had color in it (or much color, anyway).

Does their answer make sense? Would a poly (albeit oil-based) take on rosewood?

If you were going to wet-sand it, would you use water or something like mineral oil?

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I wouldn’t ‘wet’ sand the finish. 600-800 grit paper (dry) should leave a nice slick surface. Pull the paper back and forth across the back of the neck.

Ruscio and GunMonkeyINTL like this.
  3. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I wouldn't sand an all Rosewood neck at all.

Especially that one, with the "oil-based gel poly" coat already applied. (not exactly sure what that is though)

Maybe a light coat of wax and buff out thoroughly.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. GunMonkeyINTL

I would assume it is something like this:

https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-retail/oil-based-topcoats/oil-based-gel-topcoat

I’ve used it before on some gunstock work, but nothing oily like rosewood.

I guess that’s what has me questioning how to approach this- the wood under the finish being something I’ve never put finish on before.

5. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

most polyurethane is oil based... it should sand easily with 600... a top coat of carnuba wax would make it silky sweet - rosewood won't be a problem... or i should say, i've never had a problem with it taking a finish...

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.
  6. GunMonkeyINTL

Thanks, all.
    I will try sanding it to a lower grit than I was expecting (I was thinking I’d have to go to 1500 or 2000, and try wax.

There’s nothing wrong with the neck now, but it’s not quite as smooth as the MIM Deluxe neck that I now hold as a benchmark (let that guitar go, unfortunately).

7. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I think surface tension will likely be lowest when you use paper under 1000.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Why (re)finish the back of the neck at all once you've sanded it to the smoothness you like? That's one of the great things about rosewood, you don't need a finish and can enjoy the raw wood. You could use a touch of oil from time to time, just like on a rosewood fretboard, to keep it from looking or feeling too dry.

9. GunMonkeyINTL

I don’t plan on adding any finish. I asked Fender what they used on it so I could have some idea about sanding it.

If all they applied was mineral oil, I was going to wet-sand with mineral oil, and keep wiping it away. If they used something like tung or linseed, I was going to wet sand with thinned linseed. Since it turns out that it has a poly finish, I know I can wet sand with water.

Adding mineral oil at this point shouldn’t do anything since there is apparently a layer of cured poly between the natural RW oils and anything I might add. I think I am just going to water wet sand and maybe wax at the end, like suggested above.

Ruscio likes this.
  10. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Sorry, my misunderstanding. Your knowledge of sanding + your plan are both better than mine!

11. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm surprised there's even a finish on it.

Would have thought they'd have adhesion problems lonp term. Figured that was why they routed what the logo would say- no decal would stick, and they couldn't bury it in finish.

dbolt likes this.
  12. dbolt

dbolt Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

C13D0D3B-B4A9-40C2-9E21-F6AB9C5B36E1.jpeg

Count me as surprised as well. I have that Tele and thought it was unfinished because of the routed logo. I love the neck but YMMV.

13. GunMonkeyINTL

I think they had to at least put something on the walnut skunk stripe.

I’m guessing putting it on the rest of the neck was to keep it from feeling sticky (??)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.