Solid state amps

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Cerb, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I have a thing for SS amps, not modeling amps but straight up, well designed and simple SS amps. I don't know why but there's something about them that appeals to me. Anyone else who like or even prefer the SS amps?

tery, apm1991, TIMB and 7 others like this.
  2. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

I definitely prefer them for home practice. I have a 10 watt Blackstar Core which is fantastic. Also have a Fender Stage 185 from the 80s which has a brilliant sound to it, crisp with a splashy reverb.

3bolt79 and Cerb like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I have several SS amps. I don't know that I'd say I prefer them, but I like that they are much easier to move because of their weight.

3bolt79, Cerb and Ferpie like this.
  4. GaryM

GaryM Strat-O-Master

A solid state amp has a tight low end. I've wondered how sweet a bi-amped rig should sounds with a SS amp driving a 12" "woofer" and a small tube amp driving a 8" "tweeter" crossed over around 500 Hz.

5. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

A local jam spot around here had a Fender M-80 head in there maybe 15 years ago... the Clean Channel was amazing on it. Most people don’t like the dirty channel but there’s no point switching anyway, the first one is so good.

pretty god aweful look too

4E58EA5B-6A44-43B9-AF0A-32B98A5D69F2.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  6. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I've owned some real good ones. Roland Blues Cube, Lab Series L5, Laney Linebacker Pro 50, Fender Princeton Chorus red knob, Peavey Bandit 65 Solo Series...

BallisticSquid and Cerb like this.
  7. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

The last SS amp that I had was a Peavey Supreme 160 through a Marshall Half stack cab. True 160 watts of pure "melt your face off" LOUD!!!!!!!! I couldn't turn it up past 0.25 on the volume and still had to have earplugs in. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought that stupid loud amp. Plus the head weighed 68 pounds by itself.

8. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

I have a few Marshall Lead 12s that my three kids use for their "band." Certainly not the most versatile amps but what they do, they do pretty well. There are a ton of classic rock tones in there. I rolled op-amp chips through both until I found the best sounding ones, and I plan to upgrade the speakers at some point - but for less than a hundred bucks each on the used market, they're pretty cool.

Amps.jpg

98bigapple, Jerseystratfiend and Cerb like this.
  9. nihilator2015

nihilator2015 Strat-Talk Member

Tube amps have a great sound, especially with a TS9 boosting them, but have to be turned up too loud to get it.

I picked up a Fender GT100 and Marshall Code 50, I find them much better for home use. The modeling features I actually like on those, especially the Fender since I can just spin the knob to a Bassman, Tweed, or Deluxe (Even Marshall under the "Brit" codeword), and just use the adjustment knobs for gain etc. just like a normal amp.

Plus for what little I paid for them, using the bluetooth for using my Ultimate Guitar app or just as a Bluetooth speaker for playing music from my phone is handy.

I've had a Few semi Vintage Solid State amps like a Dean Markley K-50 that was actually surprisingly good. Paid $25 for the Tan model in mint condition, and eventually sold it with an Ibanez semi hollow. The guy liked the amp more than the guitar.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cerb likes this.
  10. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Do you happen to play any jazz Cerb? Always wondered why jazz dudes preferred SS amps

davidKOS and Cerb like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

1990s Champion 110. A great little amp, fantastic clean sound, even better through a 2x12 Fender cab and loud enough to keep up with a drummer.

champion 110.png

See above. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Boognish, Cerb and EC Strat like this.
  12. StratDlx

StratDlx Strat-Talk Member

I got a Mark DV FGC 121 last year, since I wanted something that was light, easy to use, had good cleans and could get super loud if needed. It doesn’t have a Fender sound, but it’s pretty good for what it does.[​IMG]

Jerseystratfiend and Cerb like this.
  13. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I like my Quilter 101, based on a conversation I had with the designer it's "analog", (I don't know what that means any longer) I don't care for digital modeling amps, though I haven't played that many.

EDIT: I take that back on the modeling amps, I bought a Yamaha THR II and it sounds fantastic for a digital amp, surprised how loud it can be on it's own as well.

Cerb likes this.
  14. Cerb

I fon't thinkbthe tight low end is a technology thing, it's a design thing. Like tube amps, the SS amps come in a variety of flavours.
    Nope, no Jazz. I think the jazz dudes and dudettes prefer SS amps because of their crisp cleans. My SS amp has great crunch and OD too though.
    I love my Quilter OD 200. The Quilters are analog, there is no modeling software in them.

EC Strat likes this.
  15. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Yeah I know that, I just don't understand what "analog" really means any longer.
    Here's the 101 reverb opened up.
    [​IMG]

errikwong and Cerb like this.
  16. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I'm gigging an orange cr60c with extension cab right now. Love it, loud reliable, close enough to tubes for me.

Stonetone and Cerb like this.
  17. Cerb

Yes, continiously variable rather than 1's and 0's. Analog circuits handling the different gain stages and amp voices rather than algorithms. Thanks for the photo, cool to see the insides.

18. Kester

Kester Senior Stratmaster

I like the look of Fender’s new Tone Master amps. They’re a one trick pony but I’ve listened to them A/B’d online and they sound very close to the ‘real’ thing. So if you can get the same sound and not break your shoulder it’s got to appeal.

Cerb likes this.
  19. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

Oh.. I don't know.. it goes amazingly well with the carpet.. :)

brians, Cerb and Ferpie like this.
  20. Cerb

They seem to have become very popular and they do sound great on youtube. They are modeling amps though, rather than analog SS amps. Not that it matters much. If they sound good, they sound good.

musicalmartin and Will Lefeurve like this.