Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Solid state

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by roblewise, Mar 28, 2017.

1. roblewise

roblewise Strat-Talk Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Bushey
    I pluged my strat into an early 80s 20 watt Peavey studio pro and found a clean tone that blew me away ( I have a Blackstar ht5 that i love ) but i made him an offer for the peavey and its now mine never been one for solid state amps any recommendations for pedals to use with the peavey my tube screemer sounds a bit rubbish with it and what a compressor or any other pedals you have found work well with SS amps thanks rob e

johnnymg and tery like this.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

I've been playing that Joyo American Sound pedal (check intheblues youtube channel) lately.
    I have the 80s Bandit and it take spedals pretty well, you may need to try different pedal settings until you find the spots that work for your sound.

907Iceman, xland, roblewise and 2 others like this.

3. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Love my Peavy vypyr SS modeling amp

davidKOS likes this.

4. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Only need one pedal for the vypyr.. the one that controls everything.. can't help you out on the one that you will benefit from. Sorry

davidKOS likes this.

5. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Last Peavy I owned was a Rage 158 TransTube. So I am likely not much help.

wildhawk likes this.

6. roblewise

Dec 26, 2016
    Bushey
    Just checked out you tube nice they have one on ebay got it on watch thanks

7. Ezekiel_S

Ezekiel_S Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2017
    South Carolina
    Sorry, solid state amps and pedals seem to be a mixed bag. I imagine it's no different than the effect of taking a pedal and hearing how diff it is from a blackstar, fender or peavey tube amps. Some people believe that newer SS amps (Yamaha THR series being one) respond closer to tube amps. Heck there are some people who love the RAH pedal or the Les Luis but some who aren't impressed with it in their rig. Roll of the dice I guess.

907Iceman and roblewise like this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    A tubescreamer will sound like crap in front of a SS amp, as will a Fuzzface, Muff, BD, etc. It's just a fact of life. The only pedal I've personally tried that sounded at all good in front of a SS amp is the Klone I built.

Rastus and roblewise like this.

9. GaryCorby

GaryCorby Strat-O-Master

Apr 11, 2012
    Sydney
    Why would you get an amp for its clean tone and then immediately try to make it dirty? Delay, reverb and chorus are your friends. Also EQ.

If you must go for dirt, try a Big Muff style fuzz. It works very well with my solid state amps. If you want odd harmonics, put something like the Boss OD-3 after the fuzz.

roblewise likes this.

10. roblewise

Dec 26, 2016
    Bushey
    Not dirty just a little edge and its nice to see what you can do with an amp so you know where and when it can be used

11. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    This is not a fact of life, its a fact of life for someone who doesnt know how to use their gear.

@roblewise - Lower the output of the pedal, SS amps dont have the "cushion" to handle a super hot incoming signal. Remember, you arent trying to overdrive a tube, youre trying to simulate overdriving a tube.

With a tube amp, the TS is usually set to Level=High / Drive=Low
    For an SS amp, set the level lower and the drive higher. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

The built in Saturation on your Studio Pro should have plenty of gain on tap, and the older Peaveys have very responsive tone stacks. Take some time with it, and play with the settings.
    Somewhere in there are tones you'll love, you just have to find them.

carver likes this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Right, because I'm the first person in history to ever make this observation.
    Some SS designs simply do not handle additional gain stages well, and create a nasty sort of breakup with primarily even harmonics. It ain't news.
    Pushing a SS amp was never what the TS intended to do, and it shows. Its function is to push an already-hot tune amp to breakup. Also not news.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    suncrush likes this.

13. wildhawk

wildhawk Most Honored Senior Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Here
    To the OP,

While the cleans are passable on those old Peaveys any attempt at great dirt/crunch is better served spending money elsewhere.

For $100-$200 new you can get a great modeling type amp that's miles ahead of your current setup.

907Iceman likes this.

14. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    No, you're just another observer who needs to learn the difference between linear and non-linear breakup. See, thats the technical term for what you refereed to (multiple times) as "aint news".

A Tubescreamer is indeed that, a TUBEscreamer, the name however, isnt indicative of the pedals only use.

As a dedicated tube amp guy, I do agree that tube amps are far better than SS. SS amps however, can be made to work, it just takes a different approach.
    And I am sure Im not the only one to make that observation, cause after all, it aint news.

907Iceman and rudos1 like this.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    That's you basically saying what I said but didn't elaborate on.
    SS doesn't have the latitude tube does. Ain't news.
    What the OP asked was, can drive pedals play well with SS amps, and my response was that in my experience I've only found one that really does, and it wasn't my TS or fuzz.

16. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Especially ones from the early 80s.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yup. I've tried tweaking a TS, and in front of a SS, with any gain at all, the result was a harsh and fizzy sort of distortion that didn't sound good at all. If you have to remove all gain, what's the point of putting an OD there in the first place? There's something to be said for a clean boost, but that isn't what the OP asked for.

18. roblewise

Dec 26, 2016
    Bushey
    Although I'm an older guy I have only been playing a year still on a voyage of discovery

fattboyzz and TheDuck like this.

19. roblewise

Dec 26, 2016
    Bushey
    I also have a blackstar ht5 valve amp and pc set up that run AmpliTube I just liked the peavey thanks rob e

knh555 likes this.

20. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    That sounds like as good a reason as any to have some fun playing around.

I get workable tone putting my Strymon OB1 boost and a blues driver in front of my '89 Peavey Bandit. It's not my favorite amp or tone, but it works OK after futzing with the settings. I think it depends on which solid state amp and which pedals we're talking about. I'm loath to make such generalizations given the evolution of SS amps over the years. I'm also driving my Katana with the OB1, BD, and MXR Distortion. Last I checked that's solid state and sounds great. And yes, I know it has built in effects (some of the same ones as on my pedal board actually).

Now if you took my old Gorilla SS amp, you'd have a different set of circumstances entirely. ;)