Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Solid state

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by roblewise, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Friedman BE-OD sounds great with SS amps/power amps.
    It has tons of gain and you can dial it back if you need to (you have to).
    IF all solid state is your choice.
    It sounds even better with any type of tube amp though.
    With a Quilter 101 (room sound, cam mike)

All the best,
    Robin

2. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Strat-O-Master

Dec 10, 2011
    UK
    I've got both an 80s bandit and a studio 40, they're really nice sounding amps when played clean and very reliable,(neither of them have ever reuired any attention). The "saturation" control works well if you're looking for a slightly edgy sound but I usually use a tube amp for anything heavy. I have a Yamaha THR10 solid state practice amp which produces some great overdrive tones when used with my Les Paul's.

3. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    I've understood that modeling amps are rarely any good with pedals. There's actually some SS amps that produce quite good analog OD sounds on their own too. I like the OD side of my old Sessionette - either OD-only, or mixed with the clean channel. Not too bad with a TS either.

4. 907Iceman

907Iceman Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Alaska
    There are several ways that you can go with this depending on your situation. I personally would recommend looking for a multi-effects processor, something used online maybe. Say your in a situation where you can't use much more than a low wattage solid state amp where you live, this is a way to have a wide variety of pedal sounds at your disposal at a less expensive option. My main amp is a Peavey 40 watt triple xxx, it's a tube amp that is a straight up high gain monster. I Do Not Use Any Pedals through this amp, I play pretty pedal free with this amp. I also have several solid state amps that I run a Digitech GNX4 guitar workstation through, sounds awesome through my 15 watt Marshall. Back in the early 90's I had a Peavey backstage 15 that I ran a TS10 tube screamer and an original Ibanez Compressor/limiter through and had a really good sound. Anyhow I don't want to ramble on hear, just a thought, lots of options!

5. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I'm lucky enough to have both s/s and tube Marshall combos—CODE50 and DSL40C, and I get nice, rich dirt out of both. I don't bother with dirt pedals—I have a couple but I don't use them nor do I turn down the guitar to clean up the sound on either amp, I just leave the guitar on 10 and pick from gently to wretchedly. This works perfectly for me.

wildhawk likes this.

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There are plenty of people that say a lot of things...

I have run an overdrive and a distortion pedal through a modeler. The sky did not fall. People's ears did not fall off. It sounded pretty good to me and to others that heard it, but perhaps not as magnificent and wonderful as some would like. Ditto SS amps in general. I worked in music stores a long long time ago and we sold probably 20 SS amps for every tube amp we sold. We sold loads of overdrive and distortion pedals and we demoed them for folks mainly on SS amps and I am betting the majority of them went home and were plugged into SS amps.

Plug stuff in and listen to them. Probably, the sound won't kill you, you may like and and you may not if you are the picky type. Me? I will plug any guitar into any box into any amp and twiddle knobs until something grabs me. Perhaps I am just not discerning enough but I have rarely heard anything come out of a rig that I thought totally sucked.

D

7. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Apr 28, 2012
    JAMOADR
    roblewise likes this.

8. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Strat-O-Master

Aug 22, 2015
    States
    Throw a couple of Boss pedals in front of it.

9. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talk Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Canada
    If you don't think SS sounds good, you should listen to this. It just might change your mind! ;)

Followed by this.....

Oh, and they take pedals like a flippin' champ!
    I should know... I own the Artist! :cool:

10. perttime

perttime Strat-Talker

May 4, 2015
    Finland
    SS sounds? Here's one:

Marshall Lead 12, I believe.

fattboyzz likes this.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Area 51
    I mentioned something similar in another post, but I find that drive pedals with independent treble and bass are critical in getting something like a SS amp to sound decent.
    I've had times in the past where I had no choice but to use SS gear and got tolerable results - and it's actually a lot easier nowadays as many pedal companies are making drive boxes that really do react like a tube amp in terms of being touch responsive and having a more pleasing high end.
    I found the Xotic OD's - the AC Booster and BB Preamp - to sound really nice even with SS - the RC Booster needs a tube amp though - what little drive it has sounds brittle and harsh with SS.
    Catalinbread amp-in-a-boxes sound good as well - I run a pair of DLS Mk3's and a Galileo V1 and they all sound very convincing even into a crystal clear modeling amp.

The one thing you will have the hardest time recreating is the feel though - most SS just doesn't have the sag like a tube amp...

roblewise likes this.

12. DougMen

DougMen Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There's no set answer. I've had solid state amps that didn't sound good with any OD pedal, and others that sounded great with all ODs I tried.

roblewise likes this.

13. steben

steben Senior Stratmaster

Aug 9, 2012
    Zulte, Belgium
    I recently bought a peavey redstripe bandit 112...... ow man, nothing every built with mostly simple transistors sounds that good.

14. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    I don't really know enough of the technical details to get into the debate with @Mr. Lumbergh and @TheDuck, but I will say that I use a TubeScreamer with my solid state/modeling amp (Blackstar ID:Core 100) and it sounds incredible. It's pretty much always on, and I can still use the volume on my guitar to clean it up or drive it as needed. And I don't have to alter the way it's used (i.e. I still use it with the same high level, low gain settings I would use on a tube amp and get the same results I get on a tube amp). The only caveat is that this only works on the two clean channels, so I can't "stack" the OD by adding the TubeScreamer to the crunch channel. That just sounds horrible.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    If you get sounds out of it you like, that's cool. There's got to be a reason they have a mystique to them. I wasn't really able to, but I sold it on to another member that gets something he likes out of it and I used the funds to offset the cost of my Zeta Drive, which I like a lot. Win-win.

16. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    <<<<<---------- That little robot guy right there does a great job on my SS amp :)

Cheap too !

17. john o

john o Strat-Talker

Apr 13, 2016
    Delaware
    multieffectors work well out front of a SS amp with a good clean channel.
    i have an '87 studio pro 60 and use a digitech RP200 out front, sounds amazing!

18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I really like my SD-1, and it sounds good in front of everything I've tried it in front of. Best $40 I've ever spent.

On topic: I've had some SS amps that sounded great with OD pedals, and some that sounded so bad you could use them as instruments of torture. I guess it depends on the components and/or circuit design.

fattboyzz likes this.

19. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    My Johnson Mirage JT-50 sound amazing. No class a or b. But when it one the clean settings. Like the Johnson or Vox it sounds amazing. ielbwbnh0wbvtqydsd6m.jpg