1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Solution for pot shaft and knob fitting

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by StratPlus97, Dec 10, 2019.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

I used some ALPHA pots that have the small pot shaft and needed to fit on a USA knob for my Strat. I took some shrink tubing, cut it to size and shrunk it to the shaft. It’s a perfect fit.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgbedard, RoyC, Namelyguitar and 7 others like this.
  2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

That's a good idea...nice looking broken in tort too!

Namelyguitar, 3bolt79 and StratPlus97 like this.
  3. StratPlus97

Thanks! Pretty pumped how well it worked! It was kind of driving me nuts before.

Namelyguitar and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

Did something similar on some old loose knobs.

Attached Files:

Namelyguitar and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

Curious, would separating the shaft halves a little not accomplish the same goal? That's why they are split. What am I missing???

rgbedard, 3bolt79 and Namelyguitar like this.
  6. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

you can't separate the shafts, they break at the slightest movement... believe me... i know...
    Edit: actually i tried squishing mine together to fit a smaller knob... and it broke easy.... assume it is the same if you try to spread it apart..

Nuno and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Not speaking for the OP, but he might have been concerned over one of the halves snapping / breaking off. Ain't hard to do. I know of a good technique to squeeze them together a bit, but I'd be nervous over widening them. Then again, I'm not the best handyman out there...:rolleyes:

@StratPlus97 - great idea and great job!

Brian

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Papa Americano Silver Member

I understand the concern, but in almost 40 years of maintaining my own guitars, I've never broken one. A slotted screw driven placed between them and a gentle pull to one side has always done the trick. It's just the way it's done by most people and techs. The OPs solution seems to have worked, I was just curious about the chose of methods.

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Crozius

Crozius Strat-Talk Member

Good idea, very clean looking. I’ve often used a small bit of masking tape for the same effect. Or a dot of hot glue on the top of the shaft for when it’s really close, but just slides off too easy.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Nuno

Nuno Strat-Talk Member

Its not worth the risk - a bit of heatshrink does the job just fine.. And as its a rubbery material i think its even better.

11. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Silver Member

Small screwdriver in the slot and a tiny tweak either direction and the problem of a loose knob is solved. No risk at all. I've done it close to a thousand times on guitars, amplifiers and in my line of work. The only times, which is only 2 that I can remember, that I've seen shafts break were due to people trying to bend it out like they were hammering a Floyd Rose wiggle stick instead of trying to just make a slight adjustment. Plus, if it does break, pots are cheap and easy to replace.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rgbedard and guitarchaeologist like this.
  12. StratPlus97

I broke two of them doing that. Tried separating it very very slightly and it broke off.

13. StratPlus97

Not all pots are created equal. I know some use the more solid brass but these pots were not. I was extra careful on my second attempt, because of the first break, and the 2nd snapped with very little movement. I know pots are inexpensive, but I’d prefer not to open the guitar up and do the work to change it out when I found a much better way of solving the issue.