Some EJ goodness....

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thaus, Jun 19, 2010.

1. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member

2. dannyvawn

dannyvawn Strat-Talk Member

You have to be good if you wear a jacket like that in public

3. kevin8122006

kevin8122006 Strat-Talk Member

Either good or a bad mutha..shutchomouth!!

4. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

That's one guitar I'd cherish if I owned it...

Oh, and who can ignore the talent played on it? Spectactular!

5. rlyacht

rlyacht Strat-Talker

I saw him two weeks ago, and he was wearing a nondescript red and white checked shirt. I think he gave up the jackets when he cut off his mullet.

p.s. Listen to this.

6. mahler

mahler Strat-O-Master

He makes "shredding" so melodic, that its so beautiful! Thanks for the vid, Thaus.

7. fretnickspeed

fretnickspeed Strat-Talker

The whole "live from austin" DVD is one of my favorites of all time. Just amazing playing from start to finish. And what amazes me more is i dont see him tune that Strat once during the whole set and he does give it some abuse, a testament to how good that 57 is. And when you play like that you can wear what the hell you like in public.

8. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

I played what I am certain is that guitar in the video.Last year,here in Austin,I was at a guitar show that had a bunch of booths displaying and selling vintage guitars.I came across one of them and they had these gorgeous 50s Strats,a 1961 Gibson SG and a 1965 deluxe reverb for sale....all of which belong to Eric Johnson!!!The weirdest thing is that the sunburst 50s Strat that I believe is in the video was for sale....next to it was a recent copy of Guitar Player magazine with Johnson on the cover holding the same guitar.They had the magazine there next to the guitar as evidence that it is the same guitar.The salesguy told me it was Eric Johnson's main Strat for 40 years....why would anyone ever sell such a guitar that you created a legacy with(!?!?)....I couldn't believe he was selling it.I asked him if I could play it and he actually let me play it through the deluxe reverb.I was playing Eric Johnson's main guitar through one of his amps!!!It was a very nice guitar for sure but totally set up for his playing style...not mine.He really likes LOW action...this explains how he achieves that fluid speed.I'm a blues player so I need a higher action to bend strings.I also played that 1961 SG...a wonderful guitar but again set to his specs.I know his signature models are great guitars but are they so good that he now sees no use in keeping his old vintage ones.Very strange!

9. rlyacht

rlyacht Strat-Talker

Did you play Cliffs of Dover?

That really is strange. Do you know how much they were going for? I would have thought they'd at least have a great deal of sentimental value for him, and also that he wouldn't need the money. OTOH, even though he's pretty successful, it's conceivable that he might need the money.

10. thaus

Very cool.......I have read that EJ only has one vintage instrument left in his collection. Time to move on I guess! His specs are featured in one of Erlewine's books and yes, he likes low action! What is cool is that on his signature strats, he uses a flat radius (12") but on his vintage instruments, he levels the frets more in the centre so the fret mirrors the 12" radius he prefers and the vintage 7 1/4 is retained. You live in a most cool location..........I would rather visit Austin than Nashville if I ever come down that way!

11. Amps63

Amps63 Strat-Talker

Hey Eric,Captain Crunch called and wants his jacket back.

12. thaus

Didn't even notice the jacket......was into the playing and the guitar!!

13. rlyacht

rlyacht Strat-Talker

From a review on amazon.com:

14. sonny wolf

I respect Eric Johnson as a guitar player...he is fantastic but that is not my style of playing at all.I'm a blues player....S.R.V.,Freddie King,Hendrix,Hound Dog Taylor,Angus Young and so many other blues players.I more about violence than finesse!!!I was just shocked that he would sell THAT guitar.But then again Clapton sold his famous 'Blackie' so I guess anything is possible.I would never sell such a sentimental guitar personally.Maybe I'm too material in that sense but damn....we're talking about a 1950s Strat that has created music that inspired people all over the world....I'd choose to be buried with such a guitar rather than ever sell it!!!

15. sonny wolf

Yeah his setup felt really awkward for me.I have fat callouses so I need a minimum string height to bend strings comfortably...I'm more from the S.R.V. school of Strat setup and playing!!!Johnson's guitar was set up for someone who has a very delicate touch and plays a lot of fast runs more than bending strings.And yes,the frets did feel rather small...making bending even more of a chore.But that Strat is a beauty and had a beautiful tone.Austin is a great town for sure.I love visiting Nashville however....great Telecaster pickers there...very humbling!!!Texas is more of a Strat place though.

16. thaus

That's probably why I would prefer Austin even though I love telecasters as well but just not into the nashville sound as much as the Texas-blues type tones! I was never into much shredding and such but Eric Johnson's playing and melodic touch just bowls me over..........plus I really like his humble attitude.

17. Scott L

Scott L Strat-O-Master

Eric doing bluesy stuff is really fantastic, granted not a big part of his discography, but worth seeking out..

I recorded this 2 weeks ago at the Iridium - not SRV in full out mode, but pretty tasty IMHO.

YouTube - Eric Johnson - Hard Times - @ Iridium Jazz Club 6-5-2010.3GP

This is Eric doing the electric parts on an yet unreleased song by Lance Keltner - not typical Eric, rather sparse playing but so on the mark. BTW he is playing through a POD on this one.

SoundClick artist: Lance Keltner - page with MP3 music downloads

18. rlyacht

rlyacht Strat-Talker

I was there that night! Hard Times was a highlight for me too.