Some logic you just can't argue with

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stratoman10, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I started eyeballing some Mesa Boogies recently. Tried a couple and really liked the Rectoverb. Two channels with two voices each so pretty much a four channel amp, spring reverb and switches from twenty five to ten watts. The only funny thing is that Mesa likes 4 ohm speakers

I had a couple questions today so I stopped in the store. I deal with these people all the time so they know what I like and what I have. So I asked about something in the HK line. I have one that really like but wasn't sure I wanted that model again

So the guy looks up, not really finding anything, looks at me and says " you have British amps, (my Blackstars ), German amps, (H&K), you need a *****in' American tube amp ". Which would be the Mesa

How do you argue that logic ? :cool:

Robins, JJ119, soulman969 and 5 others like this.
  2. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

You don’t. You heed great advice :)

JJ119, StummerJoe and Stratoman10 like this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

You just had some wisdom dropped on you! BOOM! Get the BOOGIE!

JJ119, Stratoman10 and Antstrat like this.
  4. Stratoman10

Maybe next month. I need to see what my Christmas bonus is. Between amp and cab we talking a pretty good chunk of change. The last couple of months I've bought a new bed and stereo surround system. Lots of chi-ching lately

ukoldgit and StummerJoe like this.
  5. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Yep, they ain't cheap but they is sweet;)
    P1020294.JPG

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

even though i sold it to pay for a used tone king imperial which i am still on my honeymoon with years later, i still regret selling my mesa lone star special.

mesa makes so many amps i suggest getting familiar with as many as you can before buying one.

everyone has heard of the dual rectifier series and when i tried an old one with trem and reverb i was as blown away as i could have been but at 100 watts it would have been a huge mistake to buy it.

so i tried others as i had the only dealer in 3 counties just a few miles away and ended up buying one i never even heard of.

the other thing i suggest is to read the manual for the amp you are looking at, mesa does things different and they do not respond logically like most amps controls do. but when i tried "suggested settings" in the manual i was able to get amazing sounds before understanding how the amps controls work.

ukoldgit and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  7. Stratoman10

That was one thing I liked about the Rectoverb. I tried it next to 5 35 head. The Recto was pretty straight forward as far as controls go. No sliders and not a bunch of switches. I liked the tone better and its two three hundred dollars less to boot. Ive tried the Dual Rec too.but really prefer the 'verb

The wattage works for me as well. A hundred watt amp is way overkill for my condo. Shoot, so is 25 but I can make it work. I currently have two 20 watt, one 40 and one 36. They all scale down though

henderman likes this.
  8. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

You just need to sell the amps you have and get an axe fx...then you ll have pretty much ALL the amps in the world not to mention storage room....thats logic too.....:thumb:

9. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Ok, here is what we say in Germany.
    We all know Mercedes Benz built and still build awesome cars.
    But they normally suck big time building trucks.
    The average guy goes to a car dealer and wants to buy a truck, the dealer says do you want something good and sturdy or could it be a Mercedes Benz?

I think it is some sort of a 1st world problem.
    A great amp is a great amp.
    Mesa Boogie is top like all of those other amps like H&K, ENGL, Marshall , Victory, Hiwatt, Friedman etc.
    If you can't make any of those amps sound great you don't need an amp.

But yes, you need a Boogie or better than that a Friedman but those are way above the price level.
    Rock on,
    Robin

Stratoman10 likes this.
  10. Stratoman10

I run two stereo setups. That isnt changing[

11. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Ya don't. Antstrat said it, you take that advice, do the deed and don't look back.

Stratoman10 likes this.
  12. Stratoman10

Friedman is a bit pricey. The ones I could afford, just barely at that seem to be single channel. I like at least two. The ones I have heard do sound pretty amazing though

Robins likes this.