Some times it's the little things that matter.

tinkertoy

Strat-O-Master
Feb 10, 2020
In a state of sunshine
Like guitar cables.

Yes, I am just realizing this after decades. 😱

I went from a cheapie 20 footer to a not so cheapie 10 footer.

Everything sounds completely different.

More highs!
More lows!
More Everything!!!

I had to tweak my amp and pedal eqs.

Even the gain (at a particular pedal setting) sounds cleaner and clearer.

I knew there was a difference, just not this drastic.

I blame all of you for not telling me/sending the memo. 😁

Bakelite1

Strat-Talker
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
Bill Lawrence offered cables. They were well shielded, as I recall. I bought one and it made a substantial difference. I think it had something to do with capacitance? I forget the science. I remember the effort it took to get one in Canada in those days. I should get another one.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Alot of dudes say its all just about capacitance or length and gauge of wire used.......

Really have to say its not just the length, gauge or just all about only capacitance.

It really is about the components used throughout and the methods and design used to make the cable IMO.

A lot of things go into it if you really think about it. And not just the basic design but how its execute it and again most importantly the materials used.

No such thing as "the best cable" or "the perfect cable" but they do matter and they make a bigger difference than many actually think.

In clean channels its not that different from cable to cable although there is a variance of course but when you start breaking the amp up or playing higher gain the different of a cable and how it handles really shows through.

You dont have to spend an arm and a leg on a solid cable and there are many good ones at different price points and whats great is your probably going to like some of the affordable options as much as a top dollar cable or you may not like a top dollar as much as an affordable cable or hell something about a particular one you may dig so you dont mind shelling cash out for it.

Cables......

They are awesome.

Last edited:

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Probably more the length than the quality of the cable. A buffer in the chain would also negate the loss of highs from the cables

Buffers are great and I love them and use them well as a utility and to shape the signal chain and overall tone but have to say even with a bunch of buffers in chain a cable, regardless of price or quality, will have its distinct character.

It really makes a difference even despite having 5-6 buffers in chain.

Aside from the tonal profile of a cable you also want one that will handle noise and noise floor well and that is also an important aspect to consider in a cable that no buffer can make up for.

The-Kid

Dr. Stratster
Feb 15, 2014
SO CAL USA
Also want to give a shout out to @3bolt79 .

Dude gave me a Divine Noise cable sometime ago and tried it after a cable failed on me. Love the cool scottish vibe and the G&H plugs.

Sounds fantastic as well. Really robust and solid tone. Healthy mids and nice treble and bass response. Love it.

Thanks man and all the best Scott.

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Like guitar cables.

More highs!
More lows!
More Everything!!!

Deeply apologetic for our oversight...
You might consider changing strings regularly equally important...
🤣😭⛱️🥶

hornpiper

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 23, 2014
Anytown,USA
Like guitar cables.

More highs!
More lows!
More Everything!!!

So, what the heck cable did you get?

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
Have a mate that has fantastic guitars and amps but always has ****ty cables and interconnects when plugging in pedals/amp.

He only " got it" when I told him what he was doing was the alcoholic equivalent of drinking vintage Dom Perignon out of a plastic cup. 🤣

Last edited:

tinkertoy

Strat-O-Master
Feb 10, 2020
In a state of sunshine
So, what the heck cable did you get?
None! I had my old generic Sam ash cable. Not sure of the brand.

The 20 footer, being long and cheap, was really a POS apparently.

I could only imagine what a REALLY good cable does.

Here are some things I've noticed:

1. I cut the treble from 2 o'clock to 12 on my amp.
2. My strat with the holy grails is plenty bright. Before I thought the HGs were dull sounding. They are very stratty and detailed. GREAT pickups IMO.
3. My yamaha rs502t was a but muddy sounding and somewhat dead sounding. I stuck a piece of foam under the strings by the tailpiece because it sounded weird with the old cable. It now sounds weird with the foam. The dry switch has more of an effect
4 the tonerider rebel 90s in my as73g are f'n awesome! Again the old cable killed them. So much detail now. This is probably the most profound and noticeable change among my guitars.
5. My pedals sound cleaner. The gain sound at any given level sounds cleaner than before. It seems like everything is more touch sensitive. The difference between light and heavy picking is much more pronounced.
6. My amp reacts differently too

I bought the cheap 20 footer based strictly on price and looks (I like orange. Lol). I didn't think that there would be much of a difference, really.
Big mistake and big revelation.

I also bought the 6" interconnect cables between my pedals from the same brand/place. These probably affect things to some extent too.

I will be replacing all my cables in the coming months.

This has been a real eye opener for me.

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
@The-Kid I will need to get another one of those Providence cables soon. My granddaughter is still using the one we got her. No problems. And tough enough to survive a 7 year old.:):):):):):thumb: