Join Strat-Talk Today

Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by rolandson, Jun 26, 2019.

1. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

Travel with me now to the realm of the infinitely stupid...

I've just learned of this.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/19/7340...oversy-legal-issues-mount-for-universal-music

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48745638

Apparently, per the NYT, that the fire at Universal Studios Hollywood back in 2008, which destroyed a warehouse storing some pretty spectacular inventory that Universal reported at the time as being only a minor annoyance, was anything but.

According to The Times, the warehouse that burned was the archive of master recordings going back many many decades, storing not only the originals, but also the duplicates made as a backup in the event of something bad...

Like a fire.

Incredibly, given what this warehouse stored, it had no active fire suppression system...sprinklers. More incredibly, the geniuses stored backups and originals together.

Then, according to the Times, they lied about it. Lied to the public, to shareholders, and the artists whose material was lost.

Lost was not just the stuff that made it to records, but also the stuff that didn't...out takes and complete songs that could have made new albums of the work of people like Petty, Cobain, and originals of Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald...

Apparently the artists are not happy. Learning 11 years later that the music they trusted was cared for forever, should they ever want to...whatever...is gone. After being told by Universal that everything was fine.

Vacationland for lawyers in love.

2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Unfortunately,
    You can't cure stupidity.

3. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Universal continues to deny the extent of the loss, claiming that the NYT is exaggerating (poundhead)

Tone Deaf, rolandson and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

GOOD LORD!

Can't even imagine it!

Shoot, I get majorly bummed if I misplace or accidentally erase a snippet of an original I'm working on. And trust me, I'm not rolling in dough with royalties!

I'm not a litigation-happy guy. But THIS needs reckoning!

Brian

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Most storage vaults have a halon system. Water and tape...very bad. MGM used a place in Burbank called FilmBond. Temp and humidity controlled. No sprinklers...Halon. And I kept backups separate on the premises at the studio. My vault was not on the main sprinkler system. Halon. EPA came down on Halton...but its still used.

Before I started in the music department, they stored all of the masters on site. The 1994 quake took care of that though. Lost more than a few irreplaceable masters...Elmer Berstein's Hawaii among them.

Water and tape bad. Fire and tape worse. Something f'd up that's for sure.

6. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

In this day and age, why are there not redundant copies of everything important? Any big project I've worked on has had three backups of the systems at night. And that was just business as usual, I can't imagine neglecting a library of historical recordings. Other systems, take note!

7. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

These days, everyone on the block has cloud or alternate drive storage...yet a brazzillion $$$ company stores all the copies in one location? Some one needs chemical castration to prevent breeding.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

See, that's what happens when you let people like this take the reins.
    [​IMG]
    'Yeah, but will we release the new Nirvana Album in the next financial quarter? Well no reason to move those tapes then, is there, Jeff? Okay, think about the shareholders and how you're gonna explain to them at the next meeting why you had to install a frickin' Halon system when nothing is ever gonna go up in flames down there. Do you know how expensive that is?'

rolandson and Monkeyboy like this.
  9. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

I have a feeling an Accountant is involved somewhere in the smoke:eek:

rolandson likes this.
  10. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

11 years of cover up? The cultural loss is bad enough.

rolandson and CB91710 like this.
  11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sticking with Frank Zappa's take on humanity " Yes, people, we are dumb all over, and maybe even a little ugly on the side".

Bodean, circles, Mansonienne and 2 others like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

That makes a significant point... that Universal failed to utilize even the most rudimentary fire suppression capability. Water, Halon, a bucket of sand...anything!
    This...and the 11 years of lying about it. It's a huge cultural loss ... A loss, the potential of which seems so easy to have foreseen..

I just don't get it.

ukoldgit likes this.
  13. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

I don't think accountants have a balance sheet term for "Cultural Loss"

rolandson likes this.
  14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    One good thing about recording digitally is that massive amounts of information can be stored on relatively small devices.

I make it a point to create multiple copies of everything I consider important and store them on separate thumb drives. While this doesn't guarantee that a disaster can't happen (since all these devices end up at my house at the end of the day), at least it makes it a little harder to lose everything at one time.

As far as Universal Studios is concerned... I blame "complacency"...

`

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    BallisticSquid likes this.
  15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

At this point, all of my music is digital, our family photos are all digital, family videos are all digital, etc. My server has a backup routine that runs every night and backs up all of my data to a USB hard drive. I have two of them, one of them I keep in my desk at work. I swap them out every few months so in the case of a disaster, I lose at most a few months of data. Far better than almost 20 years of data.

AxemanVR likes this.
  16. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

This assumes it's all digitized. I agree though...redundancy is king when it comes to backups of important data.

Hearing of the loss of historical recordings like this is really sickening :(.

circles and AxemanVR like this.
  17. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Check their B list of musicians/ groups. Somebody has prioritized the artists in strange way.o_O

18. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Cheryl Crow has lost all of her catalog as well.

19. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-Talker

Well, every cloud has a silver lining.h

20. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

There probably are clones and copies but...the masters...the first generation is the Big Dog.

I have tape that is 60 years old that plays fine. I have ten year old CDR's and DVD's that don't. And don't get me started on DAT and 1630.

Those original masters are priceless.

circles likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.