Something I've learned about tinnitus

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
Just a year? Wouldn't that be nice. I've had it for as long as I can remember. At least 20+ years. I can't remember a time when I didn't have it. Mines up in the 9k+ Hz range.

Its not nearly as maddening as the article above makes it out to be. Talking about it can/does cause depression and other psych issues if it's long term. You'd have to be extremely sensitive and a huge namby pamby to get psych issues, imo.
I'm pretty sure it's different for everyone. One annoying thing is that mine's in stereo and the two high frequencies are in dissonance. So when it gets worse, it's pretty unpleasant. I can only imagine if it was as loud and ever-present as it is for some people!

Straticus

Strat-Talker
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
I've had tinnitus since age 5. The loudness varies; when I don't get enough rest it is definitely louder. Lots of rock concerts in the 70s caused hearing loss; above 2khz I have about a 50% reduction in hearing. Hearing aids help.

I feel lucky that my tinnitus is not a source of stress or aggravation. I'm used to it. It sounds like locusts used to sound in the summer. An audiologist measured the frequency once; iirc it's around 4khz.

As others have reported, I don't notice it when I'm concentrating. Since I'm paying attention to it this morning, it's as loud as ever.

Electgumbo

Not Of This Earth
Dec 26, 2010
Scott, La.
Some how mine doesn’t bother me so much… it’s there all the time but I hardly notice it until I notice it. After gigs is the worst but I’m so exhausted I fall asleep anyway.

My day job was around loud environments but I always wore my ear protaction. Jet Aircraft, Helicopters, Compressor Stations and Offshore Platforms…, blowing down miles of 30 inch pipe. Protect your hearing and try not to blow yourself up… good luck with that…

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I've read some analysis of it having to do with little standing receptors in the ear that get flattened down repeatedly by very loud noises. I've also read other analysis that say it's a brain process per the original analysis in this thread.

One cure I read about was to teach the brain not to hear the specific frequency that the tinnitus rings at. I don't know a lot about that process but apparently it's been successful with some people.

I don't hear it all the time, particularly when there's other background noise that's covering mine up. But I do hear it every time I see the title of this thread.

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
Mine has been a constant companion of almost 40 years. There was a time it taunted me, it feed on my attention and I was caught up in a cycle.
But I’ve come to terms with it and it’s been years since its been a bother, it just sits there in the background, ignored, sad, frustrated, like a mean aunt that nobody pays attention to anymore.

painter33

Strat-Talker
Dec 27, 2008
Delaware
I’ve had this since I was about 5. It started as a banging noise (I remember telling my father I couldn’t sleep because of men hammering in the basement - as if!), then it morphed into an electrical, buzzing sound. It’s that buzzing that’s stated with me for many, many decades. My wife thinks my hearing is poor, but I hear everything but need a little time to process the difference between words and the tinnitus. Hearing tests are fine except when the test sound matches what’s already in there. I wish I could ignore my orthopedic stuff as I can with the tinnitus. Oh well, neither will kill me 😁…..

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island
I’ve had this since I was about 5. It started as a banging noise (I remember telling my father I couldn’t sleep because of men hammering in the basement - as if!), then it morphed into an electrical, buzzing sound. It’s that buzzing that’s stated with me for many, many decades. My wife thinks my hearing is poor, but I hear everything but need a little time to process the difference between words and the tinnitus. Hearing tests are fine except when the test sound matches what’s already in there. I wish I could ignore my orthopedic stuff as I can with the tinnitus. Oh well, neither will kill me 😁…..
Time to process
That sums it up well
Sometimes there's so much happening around it gets hard to separate what's coming from where.

Pandamasque

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 22, 2020
Kyiv, Ukraine
I was tinnitus free until chemo last fall - now it rolls through in high pitched whines that come and go… so loud sometimes that I think it’s a speaker. No hearing loss though, glad about that!
Besides the constant high-pitched one I've had for just over a year, I've had short temporary onsets of tinnitus in variety of pitches since early childhood. There's a trick my father taught me when I was little. And I know it sounds ridiculous, but somehow it worked more often than not. It's to imagine a physical volume knob for your tinnitus, like on a hi-fi, and slowly do a hand gesture, as if you're grabbing it and turning it down and off.

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
My fear of developing tinnitus is the main thing preventing me from becoming a rock star. 🙄🤥🙄

Lack of talent, drive and dedication...for me. 😎
For our UK members it always reminds me of the noise the television used to make after shutdown
View attachment 564853

Maybe not the exact same tone but we had something very similar here, back when they were only three channels, maybe four if you lived in a town with PBS.

Last edited:

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Gormenghast
This may be personal to me, but I'll post it in the hope it helps others. I've noticed that the more engaged my brain is, the less the tinnitus bothers me. For the last five days, I've created one music promo video a day. Then it dawned on me, that it's only when I stop, the tinnitus comes rushing back in.

I think it's something to do with the combination of a) visual scintillation, b) working to music and c) constantly making judgements as to what clip goes where, the optimum edit point etc.

The only downside is that working too many hours at editing makes my back and shoulders ache. Not such a bad trade-off, as the only other thing that really helps me is walking along the beach, when the sound of the waves masks any tinnitus.

Good God, I wish I could go back in time to the teenage me and tell me not to be such an idiot!

Would that really work? If you were like me, you wouldn't listen to advice. I didn't and now have my own private jet, leaf blower and piccolo playing for me 24 /7. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOWWWWWWOOOOOOOOEEE R REEEEEEE.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
For our UK members it always reminds me of the noise the television used to make after shutdown
Mine used to be like that, but in recent years it's more like walking into a rehearsal room when all the amps are already on, but no instruments are plugged in.
I was tinnitus free until chemo last fall - now it rolls through in high pitched whines that come and go… so loud sometimes that I think it’s a speaker. No hearing loss though, glad about that!
I'm sorry to hear that. A friend of mine is currently having radiotherapy on his neck, but declined the chemo, out of fear of getting tinnitus. I've told him I've learned to live with it, but he's afraid it would annoy him too much. I just hope he's made the right judgement call.

ropeless

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 9, 2020
america
since starting a daily intake of 100MG of full spectrum CBD for other issues, I've noticed a significant decline in my episodes of bad tinnitus.

Y

yettoblaster

50 years ago I was in a war zone.
Came home with it, and hearing loss.

I’ve lived with it since 1972.
Some medications increase it.
Hearing aids must also be used guardedly.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I have a nice pair of hearing aids that are designed to help with tinnitus. They do a good job. When I am wearing my aids I don't notice the ringing too much. My current aids are 8 years old. I am going to trial the new generation next month.

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
This may be personal to me, but I'll post it in the hope it helps others. I've noticed that the more engaged my brain is, the less the tinnitus bothers me. For the last five days, I've created one music promo video a day. Then it dawned on me, that it's only when I stop, the tinnitus comes rushing back in.

I think it's something to do with the combination of a) visual scintillation, b) working to music and c) constantly making judgements as to what clip goes where, the optimum edit point etc.

The only downside is that working too many hours at editing makes my back and shoulders ache. Not such a bad trade-off, as the only other thing that really helps me is walking along the beach, when the sound of the waves masks any tinnitus.

Good God, I wish I could go back in time to the teenage me and tell me not to be such an idiot!
Similar experience. I have tinnitus pretty bad, and I can only get to sleep if I play people talking (audio books, documentaries, etc.). I have to get the volume just right,: loud enough to hear it, soft enough that I can hardly make out the words (lest I get interested). I literally cannot get to sleep otherwise. It's a drag, but life goes on.

Latest posts