Sound City- Movie recommendation

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarface, Jul 6, 2013.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I watched the Sound City movie tonight- the documentary made by Dave Grohl.

Good stuff. If you like music enough to come on strat-talk and talk and talk about guitars, you'll probably dig this movie. Its just fun.

Its got some history of the studio, how it came about, the console and what was unique about it, some thoughts on why they were able to make good records there. About 3/4 of the way through it shifts to be more about songwriting, making music and the role of technology in that endeavor.

Plenty of major figures are featured- Tom Petty, Mick Fleetwood, Stevie Nicks, Neil Young and then near the end some of the members of the foo fighters and nirvana record with someone else pretty famous. Won't spoil it if its supposed to be a surprise. On the production side, Rick Rubin, Butch Vig and some others are in there. Also nice to see Dave Grohl pay attention to session players like Jim Keltner.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point was, but it was fun.

Its probably available on your cable on demand movie channel. Curious what others thought.

2. RandomArrows

RandomArrows Strat-O-Master

i will def check it out

3. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

I bought this yesterday, read about 50 pages last night; I think it will be a pretty interesting read.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

4. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I loved the Sound City doc. Seemed a bit long, but was a fun watch. Dave Grohl is such a treat. You just want to hang out with him and have a beer(s).

5. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I think it should have been split into two parts: the first, Sound City, about the history of the place and the people. The second is the story of the board/the move to Dave's studio/the "Sound City Players" project.

I love music documentaries/movies.

I would love someone do the story of Buckingham/Nicks joining Fleetwood Mac, the writing/recording of Rumours, and all the crazy personal stuff going on behind the scenes. This would be a must see movie.

6. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, I didn't know that the studio was mainly responsible for getting those two into Fleetwood Mac. Just by them going there. Also, the main reason they chose that studio was Mick Fleetwood's selfishly wanting a better drum sound! He jokes about it in the movie. A lot of love for that place.

7. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

8. Fender Bender

Fender Bender Strat-O-Master

That is a really cool documentary. I especially liked the stories and footage of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recording there. I also had no idea that Tool's album, "Undertow" was recorded there as well. That Neve console has some history!

9. curtain_with

curtain_with Senior Stratmaster

Watching this right now on Amazon Prime. Don't know if I'll get a chance to finish it today, but it's great. Cool hearing them talk about the Neve board. Lots of great interviews.

-CW

10. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

The first half is awesome. The second half was somewhere between self indulgent and an infomercial for me. Overall, I would definitely recommend it. There's a lot of good stories in there.

11. RandomArrows

RandomArrows Strat-O-Master

caught some of it the other day, was really cool

12. midifarm

midifarm Commercial Suspension

It's a great documentary.