1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Southern Rock suggestions

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Jimi Lightning, Sep 6, 2020.

1. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

these English fella's recorded in the 70's and had a pretty good handle on the "Southern Rock" sound Jerry Lee Lewis went on to record this song by them
    Heads, Hands and Feet ~ Jack Daniel's ( Old No.7 )

2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

A Wheedly Deedly tour de force. Wheedly Deedly and the Dixie Dance Kings...wankery at it's best! Anthemic Southern Rock. This stuff still gets me.

Bob the builder likes this.
  3. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Jr. Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton, Charlie Daniels band.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  4. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-Talk Member

Google Capricorn Records. That's the label a lot of southern rock bands were on in the 70's.

abnormaltoy and Jimi Lightning like this.
  5. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-Talk Member

A lot of other good bands like Cake and 311 were under Capricorn during their resurrection in thehe 90's also

Jimi Lightning and abnormaltoy like this.
  6. gretev

gretev Strat-O-Master

Midnight Rider definitely does and Whipping Post kinda does. But yeah, the full spectrum of their work has much broader influences (blues/jazz)

7. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Not IMHO Southern Rock those artists are Country absolutely but not rock. The exception there is early Charlie Daniels was Rock.

CB91710, duzie and abnormaltoy like this.
  8. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

What makes rock- rock?

abnormaltoy likes this.
  9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Style and tonality. You wont I doubt find the first 4 mentioned in the rock section. Charlie Daniels early albums were a great listen.
    There is a lot of debate on what makes Southern rock that so your question is 100% valid.
    So really what makes punk, Heavy Metal, Power metal, Hair metal, Black Metal, Death metal, grind core, Disco , pop, elevator music etc.... what it is. Same as Rock. If you hear it and can define it, you know what it is. That is what defines it.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

Plus they are from the South.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. JDug

JDug Strat-Talk Member

Kentucky Headhunters?

New Riders of the Purple Sage?

What do I know, I’m from NJ!

13. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-Talk Member

IMHO, southern rock is sort of a fusion between blues and rock with a country edge. Bands like ABB, Skynyrd, Wet Willie and Marshall Tucker were the epitome of that sound.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Southern rock consists of:

Accents
    Major pentatonics
    Sleeveless shirts
    Two or more guitars
    High-pitched whistles
    Songs about coming home to the South

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Tom Petty acknowledged the Southern influence in interviews - if you have a chance watch the documentary "Runnin' Down a Dream" - I can't remember which track he was talking about, but they isolated Mike Campbell's guitar track and Tom said, "You can't play like that unless you're from the South."

(I do have a funny story regarding "Southern Rock" - I was about 20 yrs old and living in North Georgia, and waiting out a convenience store for a ride to show up. I had an acoustic guitar case with me and this big, bearded looking dude walks up and asks if I play and what style. We got to talking and he said he fronted a local Southern Rock band, etc and that they were needing another guitarist. He asked me to play a little, which I did, and he asked if I would be interested in playing bars with his band.
    Everything seemed fine and normal until he asked, "So how do you handle yourself in a fight?"
    "Umm... what? Why?!"" o_O
    "Well, you're a good lookin' kid an' all, and sometimes the ladies in the audience start making eyes at ya' and their boyfriends get jealous and might pull a knife - just need to know whether you can handle yerself it that type a' situation..."

Needless to say I passed on his offer...)