SpaceX Did It!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Boognish, May 30, 2020.

1. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

People aren’t interested in watching space launching missions on T.V.
    Last time I checked the Nielsen ratings, more people watched A Connie Chung Christmas.

2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Mercury.jpg

Gemini.jpg

A-CM.jpg

LunarModule.jpg

A-11_Crew.jpg

3. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

You might want to check the stats on the viewers on the attempt a few days ago and today. Its very high.:thumb:

Boognish, CB91710 and wayoutjohn like this.
  4. Antmax

Antmax Strat-Talk Member

Looks like whoever developed the suits is a Star Wars fan. They look derived from storm trooper outfits with low profile motorcycle helmets. Pretty cool :)

Boognish likes this.
  5. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

6. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" Strat-Talk Supporter

Space is big :D

Wrighty, dante1963 and circles like this.
  7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, it is fairly big. :thumb:

Wrighty, Boognish and T Bone Slort like this.
  8. Dr Cannonball

Dr Cannonball Strat-Talk Member

My kids and I have been way into it for the past few weeks. Planned our day to be able to see it. Glad to it went off without issue.

Bonus - a fellow Tulane alum on board! 6AC4B577-9D0F-46BE-8AC5-5A6939D1683A.jpeg

Boognish and T Bone Slort like this.
  9. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

The family and I watched. It was really awesome and exciting. We liked the spacesuits.

Boognish likes this.
  10. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

I was honestly way emotional during the launch. I had it in the back of my mind and happened to check in on the live feed 24 seconds before launch. So it all happened kind of fast and my anxiety went through the roof. I was a kid when the Challenger mission blew up and the shuttle that came apart on reentry happened nearly right over my head here in North Texas.

I'm not a huge space or aero nerd, but I did kind of manage to get a degree in aerospace engineering (graduated about 6 years ago). In fact, two people I graduated with are working at SpaceX. So I knew a lot about what was happening, where the critical mission points were, etc. We also talked a lot in school about how space flight is just so stupid expensive when your first and second stage engines are just completely disposable and the only viable way forward it to figure out Vertical take off and liftoff (VTOL) or land used stages like SpaceX have done. So having watched SpaceX evolve over the years and master landing a first stage for reuse has been pretty incredible. It was very interesting watching a live feed of a manned flight after getting my degree. It gives you a different perspective.

So today we brought manned space flight back to the United States, but more importantly we did it safely, efficiently, inexpensively (for space travel) and we finally saw the future of space travel that I think people imagined back in the pioneering days of space travel.

11. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Watched it online and it was exciting. We all sat round and watched it.

I've seen a couple of launches in the past as my son lives on the space coast.

Took this from his back yard of a previous launch....

[​IMG]

Boognish likes this.
  12. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Every one of the several hundred launches I have watched from my backyard have been an emotional experience, an uplifting reminder of the capabilities and of the good side of our species, that never, ever gets old... but todays feeling was off the charts.

dante1963 and Boognish like this.
  13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Hahaha I kept thinking where are all the switches, dials, buttons, joysticks, levers, wires, and tubes? The notebook and pencil they used to make calculations? All I saw was 3 iPads in there... with smooth white walls, indirect LED lighting, and stylish designer space suits. The capsule’s rivetted metal panels replaced with seamless composites. Definitely not your grampa’s spacecraft.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    CB91710 likes this.
  14. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Having watch two self destruct, I was holding my breath. Plus the Mercury fire, and Apollo 13. The self landing rocket blows my mind!

15. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

I remember when astronauts were called Commander, etc.
    Every time I hear them call them Bob & Doug I think of these guys...

Eh?

16. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Yeah..but as I looked at all those touchscreens and digital readouts all I could think of was how much I prefer analog/mechanical controls in a vehicle because digital always seems to have problems. That said, I just hope they built in plenty of redundancy...

fretWalkr and Boognish like this.
  17. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

I retired from working at Cape Canaveral AFS last year. From my office we could watch all the launches, Titan, Atlas, Delta, Shuttle, and SpaceX, and the landings of Shuttle and the SpaceX boosters on land , amazing thing to see, and hear ..they make a double sonic boom as they return to earth. But I was reluctant to drive up to Titusville, Merritt Island, or Cocoa areas yesterday due to extreme heavy traffic (as usual for launches) and strong rain storms down our way. So we drove over to US1 in Melbourne area near the Indian River but couldn't see a thing due to weather. Ended up watching it live on a cell phone feed sitting in the car in heavy rain.

Boognish likes this.
  18. Boognish

Boognish Senior Stratmaster

I was pretty excited and my wife who isn't into stuff like this was super pumped. We both remember when the shuttle exploded back in the 80's and she was watching it live because the teacher was on board. I have a friend that was fishing on Toledo Bend Reservoir in east texas when the shuttle exploded on reentry. They heard several splashes but assumed it was fish jumping...it was parts of the shuttle. I'm gonna watch the docking here in a bit.

19. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I for one , was very relieved. Human space travel is still enormously dangerous.

20. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

Well they pulled off the docking successfully!!! Now if they can get back home?? But this operation looks smooth so far!!!

Boognish likes this.