Sperzel Locking Tuners?

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
As I wait for my Warmoth neck to be produced and delivered, I am looking at tuners to fit it out. I have done a lot of research and find the Sperzel locking tuners interesting. They seem to have good reviews.

Unfortunately, they are back ordered a the suppliers I frequent. They are a small company but their tuners can be ordered direct from them. Their quality seems to be good and they seem to be reputable folks.

Anyone have experience with Sperzels?

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
As I wait for my Warmoth neck to be produced and delivered, I am looking at tuners to fit it out. I have done a lot of research and find the Sperzel locking tuners interesting. They seem to have good reviews.

Unfortunately, they are back ordered a the suppliers I frequent. They are a small company but their tuners can be ordered direct from them. Their quality seems to be good and they seem to be reputable folks.

The Parker Fly comes fitted them, or at least the older ones did.
Very well made, smooth and a good ratio. Lock really very well too which is kind of the point :D

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Sperzel became the standard for locking tuners a while back. I have several sets on guitars and have had many more over the years. They are really nice with, as @s5tuart said, smooth action and good ratios. Something else that's really cool about them is that they can be reversed in about a minute and can be mounted as either right handed or left handed. On most guitars I make with my headstock design they are my favorite tuners to use because of the ability to revers them since I use a 4+2 headstock design and I don't have to search out specially matched sets.

CB91710

No GAS shortage here
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 24, 2019
SoCal
My mid-90s G&L S500 came with them. I've always thought of them as being one of the better tuners available.
As a retrofit, the tuning keys are not a match for factory, so they don't always "look right", but that's just a cosmetic thing.

Cool thing about Sperzels is by removing the key and working carefully, you can flip the post to the opposite side so they are easy to modify to work with a 4+2 or 5+1 custom headstock, or if you find a killer deal on a set of 3+3, they can be converted to 6 inline.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
I have them on my partscaster.

I love them. Mine are the brushed chrome ones from the Mid 90s. They are quality tuners. The only thing that was a bit of a drag was having to ream the holes bigger and drilling for the anchor pin. You need to use the template. I think Stew Mac sells a jig that helps get it perfect.

If I get locking tuners again I'd probably get Hipshots to avoid reaming and drilling but I love my Sperzels.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I have them on my partscaster.

I love them. Mine are the brushed chrome ones from the Mid 90s. They are quality tuners. The only thing that was a bit of a drag was having to ream the holes bigger and drilling for the anchor pin. You need to use the template. I think Stew Mac sells a jig that helps get it perfect.

If I get locking tuners again I'd probably get Hipshots to avoid reaming and drilling but I love my Sperzels.
I use this one on my guitars.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=284116503667
It's about 12 dollars cheaper than the Stew-Mac and the guy that makes them is a fantastic guy to work with.
The Sperzels fit into a 10mm hole without any problems IME. I do like the Hipshot bracket system though. I used a set of their open gear lockers on my last build so I wouldn't have to drill any extra holes in the heasdtock, which work really well and look great.
20210313_093334.jpg
I wish they made the brackets for a 4+2 config because they would be great for my design too.

Tucker McElroy

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 16, 2021
Bob's Country Bunker
Installed a blue set to match the guard on this guy:

1909536-1106068495350-5040750-n.jpg

They've been solid as a rock for me.

Note: The tuners are not drop-in replacements - had to drill some holes.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Installed a blue set to match the guard on this guy:

1909536-1106068495350-5040750-n.jpg

They've been solid as a rock for me.

Note: The tuners are not drop-in replacements - had to drill some holes.
I have a blue set that I am trying to figure out what to do with right now. I will find something for them sometime soon though.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
I ordered a set of the polished chrome locking tuners with the EZ mount system. Since the neck is coming from Warmoth, the holes were drilled to match either Sperzel or Schaller.

Thank you for all of the great info!

Note: the Sperzel order system is a little cumbersome. You place an order request and then they email you for the billing information. But that is probably better than an automated system.

Heavyriff

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 8, 2019
NE PA

No experience with them here, but I love saying " Sperzel" it's a cool word that just rolls off the tounge. Sperzel

lbpesq

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 15, 2014
California
I have Sperzels on my custom Alembic Further. Great locking tuners. Though these days I’m using Hipshot open gear locking tuners on my builds. Also great tuners, made in the USA, and with a better ratio. Sperzels are 12:1, the Hipshots are 18:1.

Bill, tgo