Spontaneous Amp Death?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by velvet_man, Jun 26, 2018.

1. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-O-Master

I did a bit of late night playing last night before bed, and everything was fine. I finished worked today, turned on my amp, saw all the little lights come on as usual, but no sound. I've tried two different guitars, three different cables, tried going straight into the amp, playing with all the dials, turning it on and off, unplugging for a minute, and even looked up how to do a factory reset and did that. Still nothing.

I looked it up on the Blackstar forums, and it seems like a couple other people have had this issue with ID:Core amps in the past. But one of the was a brand new amp and the guy just got it replaced. Mine's 18 months old, so no more warranty. The other guy I found with a similar issue could still get sound through the headphone out, but I don't get any sound that way either. Aside from all of the lights working as normal, the only sign of life I can get is if I crank the master volume and gain to 10, then the background staticy noise gets loud enough to hear, but I still can't hear anything from the guitar.

I emailed the shop that I bought it from and he basically said not to expect much from Blackstar. So I guess that's that last time I buy one of their products.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Yikes!

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

There may be some local electronics repair businesses that can help you out. My brother owns one locally that can fix most things. Question is: is the amp valuable enough to warrant paying for a repair?
    I know with my mustang 1s, if it goes out, just dump it and move onto another. Not sure about blackstar Amps or their values.

4. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Do those amps have a fuse that could've fried? I guess you'd get no lights if that were the case though.

5. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Let's see a few pictures of the circuit board, well lit, focused....

6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Most people find it hard to be both well lit and focused.

7. velvet_man

That's a nice PG version of what I said!

Thanks, I may have to go this route, though like you said, it will depend on how much it costs. The ironic part is that I wanted a solid state/modeling amp because I thought it would be more reliable than tubes that would wear out and need replacing.

It does have a fuse that's accessible on the back of the amp. Maybe I should check that.

I'm hesitant to open it up right away. The guy at the store I bought it from emailed again and told me I can bring it in to his shop and he'll get his Blackstar rep to look at it. I'm going to try that before I open it up myself because I don't want to give them any excuse to say it stopped working because is something I did.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like the best thing to do. You never know, they may still repair it FOC.

velvet_man, BallisticSquid and Rastus like this.
  9. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Does it have an effects loop? I got a non working Vox that sounded similar to how yours is. Ended up being dirty 1/4” jacks. I used deoxit and cleaned and the amp sprang back to life. What was happening was the jacks due to being dirty were tricking the amp thinking something was plugged into effects loop. So no sound. It became more intermittent later on so I just plugged a short cable into effects loop jacks. Ended issue.

velvet_man likes this.
  10. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

Try a factory reset:
    The default factory patches and settings can be restored to your amplifier at any time. Simply hold down the MOD, DLY and REV switches simultaneously, whilst switching on the amplifier.

The voice LED will count down to indicate that a factory reset is imminent. If any of the MOD, DLY and REV switches are released before the Voice LEDs have switched off, then the operation is cancelled and the amplifier will remain unaffected.

Finally, switch the amplifier power off to complete the process. When powered on, your amplifier will be restored to the factory default settings.

If you want a reliable SS amp you might want to try a Katana.
    Oh wait.................. mine blew up at 12 months. :eek: ......................... :sneaky:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    Tone Deaf, westonmitch and velvet_man like this.
  11. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

somehow I've never had any issues with either of my mustang 1s. And one of them sat in my garage for nearly a year, exposed to extreme temps.

12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Spontaneous Amp Death = SAD. The unintentional acronym of the day :).

That does suck. I think you have good plan to not take anything apart until the Blackstar rep has a look at it.

13. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster

If you do end up having to replace it, I’ve been very happy with my Roland Blues Cube Artist.

velvet_man likes this.
  14. Dadocaster

As a telecom network support monkey, I heartily concur with this advice. I give it 4 bananas. (Don't ask me how I know this works.)

velvet_man likes this.
  15. velvet_man

I got out the contact cleaner and compressed air today and cleaned all of the inputs, but still no dice. I'm going to take it into the shop tomorrow and cross my fingers that it's an easy fix.

Dadocaster likes this.
  16. Dadocaster

Luck to you...

velvet_man likes this.
  17. velvet_man

Well this turned out better than I thought it would. The shop's amp tech couldn't work on it because it was all machine soldered (not sure what that means, to be honest), so they contacted Blackstar and Blackstar sent me a new one. It just arrived today, brand new in the box, and apparently with another 1-year warranty that starts today. So I can't really fault Blackstar on this one. Great service considering that amp was 6 months past its warranty.

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Most Honored Senior Member

Machine soldered is not much of a technical description, but if I had to guess I'd say it has a surface mount board or two. Not being able to work on that just means the technician has not been trained to work on SM boards.

vid1900, Robins and velvet_man like this.
  19. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Blackstar has great support.
    Kudos to them.
    The guys rock \m/

Life is good,
    Robin

velvet_man likes this.
  20. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I love my Blackstars. Mine have tubes though.

velvet_man likes this.