Spray painting plastic parts.

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by SebNNN, Nov 5, 2021.

1. SebNNN

SebNNN New Member!

Firstly to start off i could be in the wrong forum asking about this so i'm sorry about that but either way.

I'm about to start with a strat project regarding a black MIM strat which i will put a black glossy 1 ply pickguard on and my plans is to spray paint the white pickup covers and as well the white switch tip to a black gloss and my question is what type of glossy spray paint should i use?

My goal is to cover the white pickup covers and the switch tip completely black but i want the black spray paint to slighty wear off after some good use in the spots where you maybe pick or where your hands might rub against while playing and etc so that the white original plastic shows through.

I'd be happy to have some answers and tips on what to use and how to do it properly.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

When I painted the plastics on this one grey I used a can of wheel Duplicolor Wheel paint that I bought at O'Reilly's. Then I used the clear coat over it to harden it enough to not wear. The formulations for wheels is super hard and will last for a long time. Make sure that you use some 600 grit sand paper to lightly sand the parts before spraying them so the paint can "bite" into it better.
    Bullit Strat 2.jpg 20210428_195911.jpg
    They started out as Cream
    20210426_114554.jpg

3. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Welcome to the forum! Given the fact that you are in Sweden it may be difficult to recommend a particular brand. Here in US Krylon or Rust-Oleum would do just fine.

Make sure you sand the covers with fine grit sand paper to improve adhesion. Then you can scratch it however you want.

4. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

Yeah, you will probably want to rough up the plastic a bit before you paint them. Also, I would be concerned that the paint is going to peel off, not wear down to a distressed look. You may want to lightly sand the black paint down in certain spots to artificially achieve the look you are going for, and then hit it with a clear coat to "lock in" that look so the paint doesn't continue to peel off.

Miotch likes this.
  5. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

I always use a primer coat when painting plastic. This ensures the paint layer will stick to something. I wipe the piece down with alcohol first then shoot a fairly heavy coat. This can be sanded when dry, so don't worry runs.

Miotch likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Spray primer first, then the color coat. It works fine. People have been spray painting plastic scale model cars for at least 75 years with good results.

Miotch likes this.
  7. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Like others said, scuff, primer, scuff, paint. But I also thought @keys88 had something if you want it to wear (and not peel) by light sanding some off and then clear coating. But with primer under the color, it may wear off anyway. If you just put color directly on scuffed plastic, I'd also worry about more of it coming off than you want once it gets a good scratch.

BUT, it isn't like you only have one chance. If it starts to wear in a way you don't like, take if off and try it a different way !!

Baelzebub likes this.
  8. SebNNN

SebNNN New Member!

Here's a reference picture to see what i'm going for, it kinda looks peeled but how can i achieve this look before i seal it with clear coat?

Can i like cut with a razor blade or carefully sand to achieve the wear?

Attached Files:

9. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Sandpaper after painting. Start around #400. Go light. Work your way up to #2000. Maybe even use a little polishing compound at the top end. Normal wear like that is usually smooth from repeated action. Maybe a few scratched spot that are mostly worn smooth.

If you mess it up, spray another coat, try again.

10. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Welcome! ^^What they said in regards to the paint:thumb:^^

11. shobotan

shobotan Strat-Talk Member

I've used Adhesion Promoter on plastic parts - guitar, auto etc in place of primer. Aerosol sprayed on the part prior to the colour coat. Just scuff up the part, spray on the AP, wait 10 minutes and spray on the colour coat. Add a clear coat for durability.

12. wblynch

wblynch Strat-Talk Member

A spray lacquer would probably wear off easier than a spray acrylic.