Squier Bullets - CY vs. COB

selowitch

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 1, 2009
Rockville, MD
Can't search for these short terms. What are the differences between these?
I believe CYs have eight pickguard screws and the COBs have eleven. I'm pretty sure CY stands for "China (i.e., the People's Republic)" and "Yako" a city in Taiwan where there is a guitar factory in which Squier used to make these particular guitars. Not sure what C08 signifies, but I'm going to guess "China, 2008."

Essex

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2008
South Australia
Just went through this exercise myself with some interesting findings. I believe the COBs are the better guitar for the following reasons:

Although not quite full thickness, the COB body is thicker than the CY at 43mm compared to 40-41mm.

The nut is full width on the COB at 42mm as opposed 40mm on the CY (if you have small hands you may prefer the CY from this aspect)

As previously noted, the COB has an 11 hole pickguard; the CY has 8 (aesthetics only there)

Now, I wonder how many of you have noticed this detail... if you look at the face of the headstocks of both guitars you'll notice that the low "E" tuner on the COB is placed further away from the trailing edge of the headstock whereas the CY has the same tuner very close to the trailing edge.

This tuner positioning on the CY means you could never fit vintage Kluson style tuners as the casing of the first (low "E") tuner would stick out beyond the end of the headstock! Hope all that makes some sense!

Essex

Strat-Talk Member
Dec 18, 2008
South Australia
Here in Australia, CYs and COBs are currently both available. Go to just about any guitar shop and you can check 'em out side by side.

lonewolfx

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 26, 2009
Canada
so a 2009 could be CY or COB?!

because if i plan on ordering online, i wouldn't know until it got here and i'd prefer the COB based on the descriptions above.

Axeaddict

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 15, 2009
Sierra Nevada Mountains
Interesting facts..Both my bullets are COB models that I bought this year..However when I went to my local music store to purchase the one for my SRV project they had both of the COB and CY models.I picked the COB..Depending on who you order it from you could specify that you want the COB model.

HohnerFan

Strat-Talker
Aug 13, 2008
Germany
Essex is right!!

And there are more differents between CY and COB Bullets. The Pickups (smaler and cheaper ones) the routing and the neckpocket.

COB are the better Bullets.

lonewolfx

Strat-Talk Member
Nov 26, 2009
Canada
ok one last question then...

does it say "CY" or "COB" right at the start of the serial number... or elsewhere?

and is the serial number on the neckplate or on the back of the headstock?

waya

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 11, 2009
Greer,SC
The "C" is for Cort,the letter following signifies the first letter in which country the Squier was made,the next two digits are the year of production,the next two numbers are the month,and the rest are the production numbers.

GT George

New Member!
Apr 18, 2010
Italy
I just purchased a COB 09 Bullet yesterday because it weighs the same as my 08 CY.My 08 COB weighs 600grams more.I dug into the cavity and found real wood all round.Specs are the same as my other 08 COB ;42mm nut,43mm body thickness( as opposed to CY 41mm nut width and 41mm body thickness).
Can anyone conjecture why this weight drop and does anyone else have a 09 COB ? I would probably say they've changed the wood type for body building.
cheers all

Shepard_man

Strat-O-Master
May 27, 2010
Houston
I just received a Daphne Blue Bullet on Thursday from Musiciansfriend and the serial number starts with COS. Does anyone know where this one originated? I believe it's a 2010.

Last edited: