Squier Classic Vibe 50's White

Electricblue73

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2011
Las Vegas
I'm thinking of getting the white finish guitar but I'm not really digging the gold pickguard and would like to have one with a white pickguard instead. My concern is the finish: will it have the "aged yellow" look after a while like most white fenders have? And if I installed a white fender pickguard on it, how will it contrast with the guitar finish? Is there a big difference?

I'm looking for a brighter white finish and not the vintage aged yellowish creamy off white look.

Is this 50's strat a brighter white than previous models in "olympic white" and/or "arctic white"?

TheRedStrat

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
I just bought mine a few days ago. The finsih is definitely bright white and not creamy white. I'm guessing it will turn creamy after a while though, but I too plan to change the pickguard. Ordered a mint one from warmoth.

Electricblue73

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2011
Las Vegas
Hi RedStrat, congrats on the new CV, and thanks for confirming the finish. I'm definitely close to buying one now. Which pickguard (model #) will you be ordering from Warmoth? Will it fit exactly the same as the stock one?
I'm looking for a white one where I can basically just slap it in and all the holes will be lined without having to drill new ones, etc...

I'm guessing the CV50's have a poly finish which don't age like the nitro's?

I'm new to Fenders but I recently purchased a CV50's in 2T Burst and absolutely love it. Now I'm itching to have a bright white finish Strat with maple neck. I've been playing Ibanez Js's with rosewood for several years now, and I have to say the transition was nice because the Js necks are very similar to strat necks so the feel is rather similar. I'm digging the maple neck too.....

I'm overall pleased with the CV50's playability and tone.....I admit that I feel I might become addicted to strats now :)
I'm sure a Tele will sooner or later make its way into my arsenal.......

TheRedStrat

Strat-Talker
May 25, 2009
Toronto, ON
I got the advice from Fenson and another member, you have to buy the "8 hole conversion" and NOT "8 hole vintage" pickguard or else one of the screws will not align properly, other than that it should be a perfect fit. I've yet to get my pickguard (shipping will take forever to get to Canada) but I've seen pics of other members doing it to their white 50s CV strats and they look marvelous.

For the finish, most modern strats have poly finsih nowadays unless they're thin skins or AVRIs, or the road worns, and poly will survive a nuclear blast better than cockroaches.

I've got a 60s CV strat in sunburst too and yeah, stratocasters really are addicting..... I think I may have to buy a fiesta red one soon :D

rotobadger

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 23, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The white CV50 will take the Warmoth pickguard that is the 8 hole conversion (not the vintage). It will also, likely, need shielding as mine did. Here it is with the mint green. I love it!

Attachments

• CV50.jpg
    CV50.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 5,941

Stratplayer

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2009
Vermilion, OH
I had a white CV50s that I bought from a board member and eventually sold to another board member. It was a bright white color. FYI, Fender's Arctic White is the brightest white they have (do not confuse it with the so-called "Arctic White" on the Squier Bullet; it's more of a banana yellow). The white CV50s is just as white, if not whiter, than my Arctic White '09 MIM Standard Strat though. I know they call the CV's white "Olympic White" but I think they may be off a bit on that too, since it is so bright. Also, the CVs are finished in Polyester which may fade a little over quite a bit of time, but not like lacquer would. Here's an old pic I took that should put the color in perspective. The first guitar is my Arctic White MIM, the second one is my modded Arctic White 1992 Squier Wayne's World strat (note the slightly darker finish; may be due to fading because I have pics from when it was new that make it look brighter), the third one is the CV50s, the fourth one is a partscaster I built with the so-called "Arctic White" banana yellow body from a Bullet, and the fifth one is a Vintage White Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster.

DSC00213-1.jpg

Stratplayer

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2009
Vermilion, OH
Also, just FYI, the Fender Mint Green pickguards aren't quite as green as many of the aftermarket ones, just in case you want it to be more subtle.

thaus

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 6, 2007
London Canada
I had a white CV50s that I bought from a board member and eventually sold to another board member. It was a bright white color. FYI, Fender's Arctic White is the brightest white they have (do not confuse it with the so-called "Arctic White" on the Squier Bullet; it's more of a banana yellow). The white CV50s is just as white, if not whiter, than my Arctic White '09 MIM Standard Strat though. I know they call the CV's white "Olympic White" but I think they may be off a bit on that too, since it is so bright. Also, the CVs are finished in Polyester which may fade a little over quite a bit of time, but not like lacquer would. Here's an old pic I took that should put the color in perspective. The first guitar is my Arctic White MIM, the second one is my modded Arctic White 1992 Squier Wayne's World strat (note the slightly darker finish; may be due to fading because I have pics from when it was new that make it look brighter), the third one is the CV50s, the fourth one is a partscaster I built with the so-called "Arctic White" banana yellow body from a Bullet, and the fifth one is a Vintage White Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster.

DSC00213-1.jpg

I like the vintage white on the malmsteen the best.

Stratplayer

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 2, 2009
Vermilion, OH
Dude, you really need to clean off your couch once in a while. You've got "Guitar Cushion".:D

I know, the wife pointed that out earlier. I got it all cleaned off before she would allow me to eat supper and go play guitars.

Hey with that picture, you're emulating Yngwie's strat-stacking skills!;)

I realized that after the picture was taken...;) Here's another for ya. All but 2 of my guitars made it into this one:

guitars.jpg

Electricblue73

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2011
Las Vegas
The white CV50 will take the Warmoth pickguard that is the 8 hole conversion (not the vintage). It will also, likely, need shielding as mine did. Here it is with the mint green. I love it!

I just purchased a CV50's white pickguard off EBay for $7........at least I know 100% that this will fit the CV white I'm planning to buy real soon!:D

rotobadger

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 23, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
:)
I just purchased a CV50's white pickguard off EBay for $7........at least I know 100% that this will fit the CV white I'm planning to buy real soon!:D

Thanks for the compliments on my CV 50. I really do love it!

Let us know how the pickguard looks once it's on.

And please disregard my nonsense and babbling about pickguards that won't fit!

Last edited:

fenson

----------------------
Jan 11, 2009
Canada

As far as your pickguard:

Are you saying you bought a white pickguard from a Sunburst CV50 and are planning on putting it on your white CV50 (to replace the gold pickguard)?

If so, I hate to be the bearer of bad news: It won't fit. Only the white CV50 has the 8 hole configuration. I found this out the hard way when I purchased a nice pickguard from guitar center and only checked the sunburst CV50 to see if it would fit. I got it home and found out immediately that it didn't.

In other words, a white CV50 pickguard will not fit the white CV50 guitar.:cry:

The Gold AL is the same 8 hole pattern! Why wouldn't a white CV 50 guard fit.

rotobadger

Strat-Talk Member
Mar 23, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The Gold AL is the same 8 hole pattern! Why wouldn't a white CV 50 guard fit.

Fenson: You're absolutely correct! I got confused. Sorry about that! I just compared my white CV 50 to pics of the 'burst and it looks right.

I could've sworn the hole configuration was different on the white CV50.

I'll edit my above post.

EDIT: Ah, I just figured out why I was confused. I had been looking at the CV60 not the 50. Again, apologies!

Electricblue73

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2011
Las Vegas

As far as your pickguard:

Are you saying you bought a white pickguard from a Sunburst CV50 and are planning on putting it on your white CV50 (to replace the gold pickguard)?

If so, I hate to be the bearer of bad news: It won't fit. Only the white CV50 has the 8 hole configuration. I found this out the hard way when I purchased a nice pickguard from guitar center and only checked the sunburst CV50 to see if it would fit. I got it home and found out immediately that it didn't.

In other words, a white CV50 pickguard will not fit the white CV50 guitar.:cry:

Roto, yes that's exactly what I said. When you say it won't fit, are you referring to just the screw holes around the perimeter of the guard? If so, the sunburst squier CV50 also has 8 holes just like the squier CV50 white
So how does it not fit? Is the pickguard the same size as the gold one?