"Squier" Jag Project Update

VentilatorBlues

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 26, 2012
Milwaukee via Utica, NY
Hey guys, awhile back I posted about the Squier Vintage Mod Jaguar I picked up for $250. Well, as you can see, I've made a few changes since then...

Now, let me just be clear - there was nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with the guitar bone-stock. But, for the price, there was just no way I was going to be able to resist modding the **** out of it, and that was pretty much my goal. My biggest issue with the guitar, honestly was the neck. It was finished well, but the nut-end truss rod adjust really stuck out to me, and I'm just more comfortable with vintage frets. So... I found a great deal on a 1965 Fender Mustang neck that was pretty beat-up cosmetically, but in great playing shape. I'm sure some people will flame me, but honestly, this neck cost less than an Allparts one, and the "Mustang" logo was about 50% worn off, so I carefully replaced it with a Jaguar one. As anyone familiar with offset Fenders knows, the 24" scale Mustang neck is a direct fit for a Jag and vice versa, except that for whatever reason, vintage Mustang necks are much cheaper. This neck has a very comfortable slim "C", and is worn pretty much bare on the back. So comfortable to play...

I replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Antiquities. Whether clean or grunged-out, these pickups sound so open, so transparent. So musical.

Not seen in the pics, I've also added a Fender AVRI tremolo. And... flamesuit on... slightly "relic'ed" the body by dulling down the paint and adding a few dings to match the almost 50-year-old neck a bit better.

The great thing about these Vintage Mod Squiers IMO is that the basswood bodies and basic hardware/electronics are just as nice as the older Fender Japan stuff. I own and love a couple old Japanese Fenders so I don't say that lightly. So, you have a great guitar in stock form, or a great platform for modding. I've played a bunch of vintage Jaguars, and this thing plays, feels and sounds like the real deal. It's just absolute heaven through my Super Reverb or my Marshall. Anyways, on to the pics. Hope you like it...

Attachments

• DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 57

Desert strat

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 10, 2011
Tanami Desert, Australia
Great stuff and why the hell not.... it's your jag and you can mod if you want to, so put your flame suit away. :)

I have a SE Squier Strat that I'm going to mod the blazes out of. I'll make my own " Desertstrat" signiture Strat... a one off, that will make it a real collectable to me. :)