Join Strat-Talk Today

Squier Standard Strat neck noiseless options and removing the neck

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Newbie for strats, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Newbie for strats

Newbie for strats New Member!

This is my first post.
    I will be coming into a new Squier Standard Strat this Christmas.
    Of course I'm going to try it out first but in the room in which I will be practicing, I expect a pretty 'hummy' environment so I'm thinking about a hum-cancelling neck pickup. I like the fuller, warmer sound of the neck.

I know pickups can be a rabbit hole but I want to get some feedback on purchasing a single, noiseless neck pickup. That would give me two positions (5 & 4) without hum which might be all I need. I recently watched a video on how to change the pickup and the pickup part seems pretty straitforward. Although I do think I might have to loosen the neck to get the pickguard out. Is that correct? I'd hate to mess with the neck if I can avoid it.

Two questions:
    Will I HAVE to unscrew the neck to get the pickguard out?
    If I want to buy a single noiseless neck pickup, what would some of you suggest?

Thanks

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Whether or not you have to remove the neck is dependent on whether you have a 21 or 22 fret neck. Also, if you go with certain types of noiseless pickups, you may not be able to get the pickup to go flush with the pickguard or get it as low as you might want. The noiseless pickups are taller than the standard pickups. It’s my understanding that the hot noiseless are taller than the regular noiseless, which are taller still than say Texas Specials or the pickups that come stock in the standard strat.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

No you never have to remove the neck to remove the pickguard. Why change pickups? You will have all kinds of phasing issues combining other brands with Squier......just use position 4 neck+middle pickup together....you can get a great full warm jazzy sound if you turn down the tone knobs a little...and no hum.....

Your guitar will only have hum in positions 1-3-5 on the 5-way.....

Also a noiseless single coil might not even fit in your guitar body, the routing might be too shallow....

3bolt79 likes this.
  4. Newbie for strats

I guess you’re right about the tone control and dialing in the warmth. I think I was just getting ahead of myself.
    Thanks

5. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

^^^^^ This:

Texas Specials, Vintage Noiseless, and Hot Noiseless pictured.
    The 3-way shows them mounted flush to the pickguard... if you have room for standard, you *should* have room for Vintage Noiseless, as the Vintage Noiseless is no taller than the mounting screw, but Hot Noiseless is taller by a fair amount.
    Vintage Noiseless may be a problem getting the wire under it if there is no worm route.

All-Height.jpg

Texas Specials:
    TX-Spec-Flush.jpg

Vintage Noiseless:
    VN-Flush.jpg

Hot Noiseless:
    HN-Flush.jpg

vid1900 and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I recently had to remove the neck on my American Special to change a rubber tube on th middle pickup height adjustment screw, but I wanted to not have to adjust the height of the neck pickup on the PG. so I suppose had I raised the neck pickup, I could have left the neck alone. It just didn’t occur to me at the time to just raise the pickup. I had found the sweet spot and didn’t want to look for it again. I had the pickup set really low, and the pickup wouldn’t clear the routing, so I wound up taking the neck off.

I agree with guitarmageddon, if you really want a noiseless option, you would do well to replace them all. I would leave it alone. The pickups in the Squier Standard are pretty good. If it was me I wouldn’t change them. Just stick to positions 2 and 4, and it will be plenty quiet.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

If you take all the strings off, take out all the pickguard screws, and lift up on the bridge side of the pickguard and pull it away from the neck and guide it up and over the bridge plate, it will release that 1/4 inch max under the neck's 22nd fret overhang, regardless of pickup height I've found.....then you can slowly lift it up and out, sometimes it requires bending the pickguard a bit.....

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. Newbie for strats

Thanks guys. I’ll take that advice and leave well enough alone. Maybe I’ll put my energy into a good setup.

3bolt79 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  9. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

Removing the strings does make it easier, but if you capo the first fret and loosen till you've got good slack but still winds on the post, you can pull the pickguard as guitarmageddon says above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.