Squier Surprise

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
A couple of years ago, I bought a Squier Affinity Strat at a yard sale: sunburst finish, rosewood, and a bridge hb. The serials number tells me it's a Cort, made in Indonesia in 2012. I put a set of strings on it and set it aside, almost forgot about it.

This morning I got it out, and have been really surprised how good it is. The s/c's are fine: with maybe a little of that unpleasant harshness ceramic p/u's can have...but certainly passable. The humbucker is remarkably good: a nice dense, harmoncally rich humbucker sound. I've been playng it all morning. I guess I'm just wondering how these guitars/pickups are regarded. I've got a couple of fancy Strats, buy I've really been enjoying my Squier cheapie.

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I have a MIM Squier that I picked up for $15. It sets just as proudly on the wall as my 3 USA Fenders.
Have any pics? is it a Squier or a Squier Series with the black Fender label on it. If it's a black label Squier Series then it is actually a Fender but was the lowest tier model made at the time. I have one left now but have had two and they are true hidden gems. Both of mine were fantastic and the one I still have left is one of the best strats I have ever played.

pn8830

Strat-O-Master
Jun 2, 2021
NJ
Have any pics? is it a Squier or a Squier Series with the black Fender label on it. If it's a black label Squier Series then it is actually a Fender but was the lowest tier model made at the time. I have one left now but have had two and they are true hidden gems. Both of mine were fantastic and the one I still have left is one of the best strats I have ever played.

People want ridiculous amount of money for them right now. I came across a couple and one of them was very well beaten up, I really liked it. Had to say - thank you but no.

On the other hand OP mentioned it's an Affinity, unlikely a Squier Series.

Anyhow without a picture this thread does not count :D

Texaspicker

Strat-Talker
Jan 14, 2014
Fort Worth
I was given a Squier that was about to be thrown away. After a bit of work it’s a pile of fun to play. I understand what you’re saying. I have much “better” guitars but that Squier is a blast!

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
People want ridiculous amount of money for them right now. I came across a couple and one of them was very well beaten up, I really liked it. Had to say - thank you but no.

On the other hand OP mentioned it's an Affinity, unlikely a Squier Series.

Anyhow without a picture this thread does not count :D
I was actually asking @rlongnt about his MIM "squier".

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
I've got a '70s Classic Series, MIJ '70s 'reissue (sorry Guitarmaggedon) and a self assembled US parts partscaster and my 2 Affinity models and VM70 are IMO just as good in terms of fit and finish. Specs may differ but they all hold tune really well even with trem use and while they sound different that's simply down to preferences.

Great guitars, certainly in recent years.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
I've got a '70s Classic Series, MIJ '70s 'reissue (sorry Guitarmaggedon) and a self assembled US parts partscaster and my 2 Affinity models and VM70 are IMO just as good in terms of fit and finish. Specs may differ but they all hold tune really well even with trem use and while they sound different that's simply down to preferences.

You mean an MIJ ST-72 :)

rlongnt

Strat-O-Master
Apr 26, 2018
Edmond, OK

It’s MIM with a gold logo. I bought it for $15 and pretty much replaced everything but the neck and body with newer MIM pull off parts I had laying around.

81AB273D-383C-4336-A375-FA76AE3AECB2.jpeg

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK

I have Strat with a black Fender logo and small ‘Squier’ logo as well. I also have a Tele with black logo but no Squier logo. Both are MIM. I was once told, by my local guitar shop I think, that the Tele was sold as a Traditional? Both great guitars, standard pups seemed pretty good.

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
20210811_221505.jpg

Agree on the VM series. Here's mine, picked up cheaply. A callaham block and some quality electrics later it gives a lot of other strats a run for it's money. I play this everyday. Resisted the temptation to go for black covers/knobs. Bit too Ritchie for me although I'm a fan.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I have Strat with a black Fender logo and small ‘Squier’ logo as well. I also have a Tele with black logo but no Squier logo. Both are MIM. I was once told, by my local guitar shop I think, that the Tele was sold as a Traditional? Both great guitars, standard pups seemed pretty good.
Yes sir. The tele without the Squier Series on the headstock would be slightly newer and renamed as a Traditional Series. The line was renamed after only a couple years because of the stigma that was attached to the Squier name. The renaming was the only change other than the pickguards being changed to three ply on the Strat (Not sure about the tele puckguards though). They were still considered their lowest quality guitars with the Fender name, utilizing Asian electronics with Mexican ceramic pickups and trapezoid tuners, but as I said earlier that with minimal work they are fantastic instruments IMHO.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
My VM Squier Tele custom is one of my favorite guitars I have ever owned. Nothing wrong with Squier.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Yes sir. The tele without the Squier Series on the headstock would be slightly newer and renamed as a Traditional Series. The line was renamed after only a couple years because of the stigma that was attached to the Squier name. The renaming was the only change other than the pickguards being changed to three ply on the Strat (Not sure about the tele puckguards though). They were still considered their lowest quality guitars with the Fender name, utilizing Asian electronics with Mexican ceramic pickups and trapezoid tuners, but as I said earlier that with minimal work they are fantastic instruments IMHO.

Thanks for that. I still vividly remember going into a shop on the corner of Denmark Street and Charing Cross Road (Soundhouse, maybe?) ‘just looking’. My excitement at finding a Fender that was within my price range was palpable. I was with my guitar teacher, still a friend now, and hadn’t much money on me and no cards. The salesman was good, he’d been on the courses I had! He hooked the red Tele off the wall and gave it to me to hold whilst he went out back………….from that moment I owned it! Anyways, long story short, my mate leant me a tenner deposit, I noted the serial number to ensure they sent me ‘my’ guitar once I’d got home and paid the balance over the ‘phone. Two days later I picked it up from a distribution depot 1/2 hour away. Still have it, CSTS pups and locking tuners and it’s used regularly.