Squier x MiM Bass: Help me pick the best bang for the buck on a bass

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by diogoguitar, Aug 15, 2019.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

Hey guys

I plan to spend no more than 10% of my playing time on a bass and don't have a ton of cash to buy a brand new american elite jazz bass.

I have seen some amazing transformation videos in Mexican strats that have good pickups to start with, but just needed some minor tweaks like bridge saddle replacement and round off some fretboard/fret edges.

For that reason, I'm currently on the fence between a Squier Jazz Bass (like a Contemporary model) or a Standard MiM Jazz bass.

I'm looking for a satin finished back neck, "a-ok" pickups and unfinished fretboard (like rosewood or pau ferro) and "a-ok" tuners/bridge.

I know the price differences vary quite a bit between MiM and Squier, so I was wondering if someone can help me decide between spending $250-$350 on a used squier bass or just spending a couple hundred more in a MiM one... I wanted to understand why it would be worth it... if at all.

thomquietwolf likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Squier Standard bass - alnico pickups, nice satin neck finish, won't break the bank - sub $300 or maybe even sub $250 new......discontinued now but maybe you can find old stock

even less used.....

You can find a used Affinity jazz bass for well under $100-120......

I highly recommend Squier over MIM anyday, for the price difference.....

diogoguitar likes this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I have a 90s mik squier p bass. Best neck on any string instrument I've ever played. Nothing wrong with squier.

diogoguitar likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Only get a P-bass unless you have more basses -- if you ever want to be a session player. Apparently most session gigs they send the bass players home if they show up without a P-bass. There's a Scott's Bass youtube channel and he was interviewing a long term session guy that said that.

Here's what I did because I mostly play six string guitar but wanted a bass to mess around with. I found a guy selling a Washburn XB-100 P-bass for $40. It needed new strings and a full setup but it's been a great bass to have around.

I did later do a mod where I bought two Jazz pickups and a hotter P pickup on ebay and a Strat switch and routed it so I now have a JPJ (neck pickup is "at the neck" like a proper Strat looks) and I get the Quack positions ;) I have since put a J pickup in a 6 string guitar and found they are really quite bright, like Tele bridge bright, that I had not expected but makes sense, and why the 'neck' J pickup I used still works.

A friend's son wanted to play bass and I found another XB-100 P-bass for $35. That one I leveled the frets and did a full setup on, it may have been ok without the level but I wanted to give him the best chance.

I have flipped other bass models and here are some quick notes:

80s Yamaha (RBX?) -- great player, the one I had the prior owner had pulled all the frets and filled with wood putty and it got traded along after they investigated what fretless bass meant. I put stainless steel frets in it.

2000s Rogue -- apparently built by Fender/Squier, quite a surprisingly good guitar and prices generally low because people don't know it's Fender. Likely made by Cort that builds all the Squiers. If you see a Cort bass then think build level equivalent to the better Squier models.

Greg Bennet by Samick -- quite good. Samick makes 80% of the import guitars for all the brands, and the GBs are their in-house premium value brand. Samick made those Washburn guitars above.

Squier -- made in Korea, very nice.

Ibanez -- ok

In the end, I wouldn't get too stressed out about brand or what pickups are in the bass (other than that P-bass directive) but just budget for a fret level just in case which is $100. Don't worry if it has a laminated body or any of that kind of hand wringing. You can get replacement parts on ebay if what you are looking at has a broken tuner.

Internet image link, this is like the one I modded. I'm seeing used prices around $100 out there offers/solds now.
    [​IMG]

5. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Ibanez has some great bass guitars that are good bang for the buck..
    I have an SDGR bass with active pick ups.
    It can sound like a P bass or Ric.

diogoguitar likes this.
  6. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I have played a lot of basses and been involved in the purchase of four or so in the last few years. Found P basses and j basses both fender and squier pretty uninspiring. Just bought an Ibanez Talman after playing all the reasonably priced basses. Time before that a Yamaha. My son has a Sterling sub that is an ass kicker while being fenderish.

diogoguitar likes this.
  7. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Whoever said that you can’t be a session bassist playing a Precision was so full of excrement that it runs out of his ears.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Exactly.

We kick out any bassist that shows up WITHOUT a P-bass to a session.

"Look buddy, take your 10 string and your manbun and GTFO of here!"

maxresdefsdfgsdfgault.jpg

3bolt79 and johnnymg like this.
  9. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Pu-effing-leeze. Plenty of basses out there with PJ configuration that can cover nearly everything.

Also, who is "we?"

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. vid1900

lol

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

lol back, sir.

12. vid1900

Shawn Hurley says why you should never show up to a session without a P-bass

13. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I got my Squier Vintage Modified J Bass for 200 CDN. It is great.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  14. diogoguitar

Ibanez... Hmmmm I always loved Ibanez... Which one has the best bang for the buck?

15. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

FWIW, I bought an Ibanez TMB (30") bass and absolutely love it. The TMB replaced a sold Squier bass. The Squier felt heavy and clunky to me. YMMV.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    diogoguitar likes this.
  16. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

^^^^^^^^^What he said....

[​IMG]

diogoguitar and johnnymg like this.
  17. vid1900

diogoguitar likes this.
  18. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Say what thou must sayeth... I love my Bronco Bass. Never had so much fun for $150.

m.jpg

19. diogoguitar

I'm lefty but I might pull the trigger for a righty bass and start doing some ambidextrous fun lol

there are TMB 100 series and TMB 600 series. How much better is the 600 series and why?
    I might just go with the cheaper one, but wanted to make sure

20. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

The 600 is obviously a lot better. 350 bucks better. So, yeah.

diogoguitar likes this.