Join Strat-Talk Today

Squire Bullet Strat

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by axejock, Sep 9, 2018.

1. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

For some reason, this really cheap Strat Bullet model has tweaked my interest. Basic question: Is it worth bringing home, even as a conversation piece? I own a LOT of guitars, but have never even looked in this entry level market. Opinions?

jjudas and nickmsmith like this.
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes. Awesome value for the price. The only guitar I was tempted by at all at GC was the seafoam green bullet, last time I went.

It’s a no brainer, the whole guitar costs significantly less than just the body of a USA strat

tery likes this.
  3. axejock

This has probably been discussed a lot here, but I have to say that this Bullet model looks a lot like a REAL strat, at least in the pictures. I see they make several models from single pup to the sss configuration with tremolo. Is there any one of them that is the "choice" configuration. I think some of these import guitars are getting to be decent instruments.

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I'm semi embarrassed to write that I'm playing my Bullet more than any other guitar right now. :sneaky: I did replace the tuners but that's the only significant mod other than a setup. I will be installing SS frets on it soon though.

5. Dougeryb

Dougeryb Strat-O-Master

I dont think there is anything to be embarrassed about at all.

johnnymg likes this.
  6. axejock

I see a few lightly used models of this guitar for under $100! Is that the right price range for these guitars? They really do sound like a bargain for all they apparently offer!

7. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Last weekend they had the bullet on sale at GC for $99.:eek:

I was tempted by that seafoam green color ,but my truck needed a radiator ,so I had to go to O'Reilly's instead :cool:

8. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

I play my bullet most of the time too, strange thing this....
    For me the " choice" is a sss trem version. I've read a lot of favourable posts on the HT. I like a Strat with a trem , although I don't use it that much , but it just seems right. Same thought with 3 single coils,and I've posted before that I love the sound of these stock pups , very blues and rock raw. The neck on mine is probably the reason I play it most of the time, and I don't really even have issues with the tuners. It really worked out with a good setup.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    johnnymg likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

I was playing my Sea Foam Green Bullet SSS Strat last night. They're good guitars with a great bang/buck ratio. The neck is pretty close to a Fender Modern C profile: to the smallish side, but not too small for me, and I love my Baja 50s Tele neck.

It honestly needs nothing but a set up, and probably touching up the nut slots, to be a player. There are ways to improve it, though.

1. If you string the tuners properly, they hold tune as well as anything, but can be sloppy. Take them off, pop the covers off, take out the screw that retains the larger gear, rinse all threads with naptha, let them evaporate and wipe the threads, put a drop of Loctite Blue (not red!) on the screw, put in the screw and tighten until you've removed as much slop as possible, yet the tuner still works easily. Put up with that until you put on a $25 set of vintage-style tuners.

2. The nut is plastic and the slots appear to have been made by a process other than filing. It looks, to me, like 6 hot metal blades or wires have been pressed downward into the nut to create the slots. I have two of these and, looking closely, the hot plastic from the process has been extruded slightly out of both ends of the slot. If I'm right about the process, it's a clever way to slot a nut quickly. It's also not very accurate in slot widths and you may have slots that stick and 'ping' when you tune or use the whammy. I had to carefully file the existing slots in mine to make them do their thing properly.

The pickups are usable with a tweaks to the amp's gain and tone controls. The whamulator isn't world class great, but is equivalent to what many Fenders have shipped with and works fine when set up properly.

If you don't do your own set-ups, spend the money on a pro job and you'll be surprised by what a good player the Bullet is. After that, learn how to do you own work.

Viking and brians like this.
  10. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I just bought a red sparkle caster Bullet Tele for $127 with the discount .
    There is N O T H I N G wrong with it - at all :)

whaynes54 likes this.
  11. axejock

Thanks for that feedback! It sounds like this guitar is not only a real value, but a decent player as well. I'm going to further check for "offerings" on it!

12. axejock

Where did you find this deal, and what discount was offered? That's a nice looking guitar in that color!

tery likes this.
  13. johnnymg

Just keep in mind, at this end of the price spectrum there's going to be some mangie dogs in the kennel.

barebluesea likes this.
  14. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Musicians Friend - They had a 15% Labor Day discount (ask for the discount anytime ;))
    They offer free shipping and charge no sales tax in most states .

duzie likes this.
  15. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

Anything in the Bullet range is a great fix for GAS. They are fun to play, but only if you're someone who doesn't mind pulling out the files, Allen wrenches and such.

The necks can be a bit "sawdusty", but a rubdown with 0000 steel wool and a coat of carnuba wax goes along way with these. The fret ends may need a little work, but most likely the surface of the frets will have some sort of coating that makes them scratchy. Super fine sandpaper or emery cloth will get this done.

I have a Bullet of every flavor (Tele, Strat, Mustang) and they're all a lot of fun.

16. johnnymg

Indeed. I used 600 wet/dry paper to smooth the dusty neck on mine. Ironically, the surface feel of this neck now is just fabulous.

After lowering the pups I actually really like the tone from this guitar.

17. anticarnist

anticarnist Strat-Talk Member

My experience is similar to the rest. Picked up the green one at GC for $100. The tuners pretty much suck but other than that, no complaints or regrets. Great for travel too!

johnnymg likes this.
  18. 4SEVEN3

4SEVEN3 Strat-Talker

I have a Bullet that I’ve been modifying for a while. I admit I have too much in it but it’s fun to mess with. So far the mods include: Hipshot open gear tuners, Tusq string tree and nut, GFS brass trem block (they make one specific for the thinner Bullet body), Fender bent steel saddles, and I have a nice custom pick guard loaded with Lace Hot Gold pups that I’m going to install soon. Again, way too much in this little guy but it plays well, and it’s more a project and labor of love than anything. I keep it at Moms place for when I visit.

brians likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.