Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Squire to Tokai

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by axeman83, Apr 21, 2017.

1. axeman83

axeman83 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    Hi Everyone,
    So I'm pretty new to guitar about 11 months or so I had an old squire strat made in Korea which I started Learning on and always though of the Guitar as a cheapo and after 4 months of playing I decided I was going to stick it so bought a Gretsch streamliner semi hollow, I like the Gretsch but still kept going back to the strat the neck feels nice and even without playing through an amp it has great sustain and notes rang out whilst sliding and hammering on/ pulling off. I have palyed a lot of MIM strats that's to me didn't feel as nice as the Korean one and didn't quite ring out(maybe they just needed a good set up). Anyway I had chance to get an early 80s Tokai which I bought stripped and am now rebuilding, I have completely striped the guitar including the finish which has already been done before and am looking to put new electrics, bridge possibly tuners as well, my first project. (the original electrics have been replaced with what look like cheap ones also not sure if the bridge has also been replaced at some point.) Looking forward to getting it together.

Jigglebone, Fendereedo and felis like this.

2. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    The Tokai sounds like a great find - any pics?

Fendereedo and felis like this.

3. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    20170227_111918.jpg
    20170227_144641.jpg 20170227_101321.jpg

Attached Files:

Jigglebone, Fendereedo and jofish like this.

4. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    Still getting used to posting. the Tokia was the all black one had the headstock decal replaced to fender which I hear was very common.

felis likes this.

5. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK

Attached Files:

6. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    Welcome to the forum! Looks like a great project, what have you got in mind for it? Natural finish or another exciting colour? :D I love 80s Tokais, I'm yet to come across a bad one...

Interesting that it's routed for humbuckers, it's seen a fair few mods already by the sounds of it.

felis likes this.

7. josh owen

josh owen Strat-Talker

Jan 6, 2015
    Tennessee
    Shame the logo on headstock has been changed. Original Tokais are extremely hard to find in my region and the necks seem to be very sought-after. Looks like a great project. Keep us posted.

felis likes this.

8. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Tokais are great guitars, and the early 80's Tokai Strats are getting rarer, well sought after, and rising in value.

Its such a shame the decal has been changed. Maybe you could reinstate it back to original when you've finished your makeover. I'm a Tokai Strat player as well as owning Fenders, and when I wanted to change the neck on my Tokai I wanted to keep the guitar identified, so had a couple of new decals made. They were perfect. The guys name is Rob, and his website URL is below. Good luck with your project.. :thumb:

www.guitardecals.co.uk

josh owen and felis like this.

9. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    I would like to reinstate the original headstock decal but not sure which one would have been on it spaghetti or bubble type? from the stamp in the body cavity it looks like it was originally flamingo orange so thought about a little stain around the edge/body faded and the rest natural with clear nitro??? or possibly just all natural still thinking about it. Been looking at Tonerider classic blues PU's also. The humbucker was an after market mod it definitely been around the block. Battle worn. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    jofish likes this.

10. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    I think I have came across this website whilst looking for a decal:thumb:

felis likes this.

11. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    He made me two sets for £9.50 I think. They are absolutely spot on, and an exact replica of the original. My Tokai is a 1981 Springy Sound with the spaghetti logo.

One thing I was going to ask. Is the original neck-plate on the guitar with a serial number. That may give some clue as to year and model, although Tokai serial numbers do seem a bit haphazard at times..

felis and jofish like this.

12. jofish

jofish Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2015
    Hull, UK
    [​IMG]

Looking at the FO colour code on the body, it could well have been a TST50/55/60... (I'm speculating a bit here) If you look at the first picture, there's a suspiciously fiesta red looking guitar labelled as a TST55FO...

Toneriders are always a good choice :)

13. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    No Will the neck plate has no serial number looks like its also been replaced as its brass. Its a shame but I suppose it happened to a lot of guitars, its a good one piece alder body and the the neck feels great. I'll get onto him when I'm ready to change it. your right about the Tokai dating and identification I don't think anyone is 100% sure:D

14. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    Jofish from what I have researched I think its the electrics that made the difference in model (could be wrong)

15. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    That is a cheap modern loaded pickguard, not original Tokai just an FYI @axeman83

EDIT - oops I see you mention this in your first post

felis and axeman83 like this.

16. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Flamingo Orange is custom colour, hence the '55', standard colours have model # 50/60/70/80 etc.

1984 ST55 FO Goldstarsound;

[​IMG]

Logo;

[​IMG]

jofish likes this.

17. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Body wood sort/pieces, finish lacquer/poly, 'A' grade stamps on neck/body/pg.

PS original bridge and/or tuners? 'Tokai' or 'Final Prospec' stamped?

18. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    One piece Alder, are you sure?

My early '80s (one piece body= higher end model) Sen Ash Springy and Breezy have 'A' grade mark behind the codes on neck and body (and also on PG).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    Felis are you saying the guitar I have is a TST 55 Goldstar sound ? bridge has no marking at all, I got it from a friend of a friend I never met him, he said he changed the decal years before he must have got it from someone and mods must have been done before he got it. He thought it was from 83 but never mentioned model.

felis likes this.

20. axeman83

Apr 21, 2017
    UK
    To be honest Felis I'm not sure from looking at It I thought It was one piece??? I'm no expert.:D is there a way to tell looking at the body it seems to be one piece or timber?

felis likes this.