SRV and Clapton are...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Jul 15, 2021.

1. SurfsUp

SurfsUp Senior Stratmaster

Clapton and SRV are criminally underrated when it comes to vocals, imo.....absolutely brilliant singers. Knowing when to pull away from the mic, turn their face slightly.....the dynamics make a huge difference.

BB King had that art pegged, too. Another great vocalist.

Tone Quest likes this.
  2. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Strat-Talker

Everyone's a critic.

Dog Poop.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    StratUp, Willmunny, Boognish and 2 others like this.
  3. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

One of the big things with EC is that he realized that if he wanted to have a career as a big star and not paired up with a singer like jimmy page and Robert plant, he realized that he had to become a singer, and he worked at it and got really good.

tanta07 likes this.
  4. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Very good at what they do, but limited and derivative, thus predictable and uninteresting after a few listens.

For comparison and along the same lines, I hear something new each time with Albert King, for example.

Both are better singers than they typically get credit for.

Bakelite1 likes this.
  5. nifnof70

nifnof70 Strat-Talker

Very Cool--you have a perspective not many others can speak to.

I have to ask, when and where did you play with SRV? What songs did you play with him on?

6. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

best male blues singer for me is Wolf... at first listen he's like a bucket of gravel, but try and do what he could do... phrasing, turns, range, on guitar he'll tell you himself " i only play my patterns" but as a singer, he's a very powerful but subtle musician...

Mansonienne and Stormy Monday like this.
  7. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I hear you on the not liking to hear your own voice. Somehow, I sound nothing like I do in my head. I hate taking pictures, too. I've taken enough selfies to count on 1 hand.

8. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Davenport, Iowa 1988 Leclaire Park Band Shelter Live and Alive tour. The name of our band was Coldshot (yes after his song) and that is the song I sang with him on I also sang back up on Little Sister. Our guitarist got to play with him on those songs too.

9. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

You must mean by males...

10. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Could he hang with him?

11. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

This was the early 70's and the story goes I was part of the crew setting up for his concert. It was an outdoors concert at the Mississippi Valley fairgrounds. At the time my wife was pregnant with our first child so I was rushing around try to get my work done because she was due anytime. Eric was sitting backstage playing an acoustic guitar and just chilling and he stopped me and told me to slow down there was plenty of time. I told him why I was rushing and he smiled and started talking to me about what I wanted a boy or girl. When I told him I wanted a boy he asked if I had names picked out yet and I said not really and suggest the name Eric. I told him if I had a boy I would call him Eric and I did have a boy and did name him Eric. About a year later I had the chance to see him again when he was touring. I doubted he would remember me but he did and he asked what I had and I said a boy and they he asked what I named him and I said Eric he said brilliant and a few other things and was pretty amused. Eric was a very nice guy and even though we didn't talk long he was just a very regular guy and not at all a diva.

12. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Better than I did I would say. Nobody sings a SRV song better than the man himself and I was honored to be sure. Cov (our guitarist) could definitely hang with Stevie and Cov didn't try to copy him in fact Cov decided to play slide and is great on slide. Just to let you know just how good of a guitarist Cov was, Vinnie Moore gave a guitar clinic and Cov paid $200 to go to the clinic. At the end Vinnie asked Cov to stay and jam a little and when they were done Vinnie gave Cov his $200 back and said that he didn't need to to go to his clinic because he was already a great guitarist. Cov was playing some riffs from Vinnie's songs and matched them note for note but then said that he really liked to play them a little different and showed Vinnie how he would have played it and Vinnie was blown away. Give Cov a stage and a couple of shots of Jim Beam and he would blow you away every time. Definitely one of the best guitarist I have ever worked with.

13. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

I think it's Clapton's vocalizing that has gotten him into so much trouble lately. Ba dump, ding!

Willmunny, Boognish and guitarface like this.
  14. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Really enjoyed reading that! Awesome Sounds like you had a fabulous band

15. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

And how much John Mayer sings like SRV, too.

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah, JM vocally strikes me as trying to be a cross between Dave Matthews and SRV...

17. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Yeah!! I never thought of that but it nails it.

18. gmann

gmann Strat-Talk Member

Credit goes to Delaney Bramlett who told him if you don’t start singing you’ll always be someone’s guitar player. EC took that to heart.

Mansonienne and guitarface like this.
  19. DJGranite

DJGranite Senior Stratmaster

He sang in Cream before...

StratUp likes this.
  20. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

The time I went to a John Mayer concert (yeah, that’s right) he told the audience that the venue we were at (Jones beach), was where he saw his first concert, and it was the Dave Matthews band. So that makes sense.